Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a 107 kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 07:03 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default Thinking about a 107 kit

I've put the new LR-S out of my mind. I was thinking about putting cams in my otherwise stage 1 103 FXDL, but when talking to the perf/dyno shop I'm probably going to have do the work, they pretty much sold me on a Revolution Performance 107 kit. It's a heavier built set of jugs with a nikasil coated bore. I'm a fan of Nikasil, as that's what BMW uses on their 200k mile capable motors... Anyway, naturally cams too, and they like the Feuling cams (forget the model) and timkin bearings with this kit. I have to keep the budget around $2500 incl. labor. (Remember, these are NYC suburb prices). I live in a condo with a single parking spot in a shared garage, so I can not do the work myself, as easy as it seems. So I gotta pay.

I'm wondering if there's anything else I should do while in there. I was thinking about porting and polishing the heads, but that's another +/- $800 I don't want to spend yet, and can always be done later.

Definitly solid pushrods, and was looking at the Zippers dual-piston tensioner upgrade. Looks interesting, and may be a cheap reliability upgrade.

Once it's done, they recommend 100 miles or so before a dyno run.

Anything else I should be thinking about while it's open - that doesn't add another grand to the bill?

Thanks

Old 03-24-2016, 08:02 AM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

This seems like a nice package, give it a look:

http://tmanperformance.com/Kits/103-signature-thumper/

Old 03-24-2016, 08:55 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Have you looked at FM's Kit? Comes with everything needed including bearings, gaskets, lifters, etc for $1300. Add some heads at $879 and you have everything needed. Labor with your indy might push you a bit over your $2500 but not if you skip the heads (but why would you do that )

To save time you could do their core exchange program. If having a stripped down bike sitting at the shop is not an issue, Veetwin or Hillside have some amazingly priced packages right now. Does using the Indy require you to use the products they sell? Not sure of the etiquette on these types of things!

Old 03-24-2016, 10:55 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

You will have to make a somewhat difficult decision on your cams if you postpone headwork: to get cams that work best with the big bore or cams that don't work quite as well now but will be great when you do headwork....

I am not trying to talk you into headwork but there are compromises made by doing a build in steps. Let us know which cams they are thinking about.

No matter what you decide, the increased performance will be substantial!

Those rocker shaft insers that mattVA used would be a simple upgrade.

Last edited by HD Pilot; 03-24-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:17 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 727 Likes on 403 Posts

If you can afford headwork, even a basic 'street' porting with stock valves, do it now. Then you can match the cam to the overall package as HD Pilot suggested. I don't see the value in doing everything now, and doing heads later, especially if you're paying for labor.

For what its worth, when I was researching my build a couple years ago, a reputable head porter told me to expect 5-10 hp increase on a mild build with ported heads/stock valves, and another 5-10 on top of that with a full port and oversized valves. Not sure of the accuracy, but I don't have any reason to doubt that.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:05 PM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Ahhh the winds of change are blowing your way too huh? I'm with ya hahaha!
Got to go full tilt on the 107 if your going to have it all torn down.That's a give in. I'm trying real hard to talk myself out of going to a 117.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:19 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad

Anything else I should be thinking about while it's open - that doesn't add another grand to the bill?

Thanks

I can think of a great $15 upgrade

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the links below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 03-25-2016, 08:29 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Just had a conversation with Scott at Hillside. He gave me a number of $2700 out the door for a 107 job including Andrews cams and his stage 1 head work. He really knows his stuff it seems, and sure has the reputation. He's only 4 hours away, but the downside is I have to leave the bike for 2 weeks. That's going to be hard. This is my favorite time of year, but it seems this is the way to go... Interesting. Now I gotta figure out how to get home from there!

Old 03-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Frédéric CM
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

TMan as some Nikasil cylinders if i remember right...

What parts Scotts listed you ?

Old 03-25-2016, 12:53 PM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Frédéric CM
TMan as some Nikasil cylinders if i remember right...

What parts Scotts listed you ?
Good question....

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 107 kit