Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 gal. tank on FXD Superglide

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:29 AM
mpescatori
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 6 gal. tank on FXD Superglide

Hello all, I have thoughts at times and this one I simply cannot shrug off.

My 1995 Superglide has a 4.2 gal tank (16 liters) with a center-fill cap.

I would like to know if there's a tank out there which will hold anything between 5.5 and 6.5 gals which is more or less a direct bolt-on replacement.

I aim to go long range (solo) touring and I can only get 240km (150 miles) between stops; anything beyond that means switching into reserve...

I have found "6 gal Fat Bob" tanks with are described as "direct bolt on for fat Boy etc." so I am confused...
Are Dynas and Softails compatible to that extent? Or is there a mistype or misunderstanding ?

Furthermore, as these 6 gal tanks are all of the "two halves bolted together" type, when I lean the bike over to fill up, and fuel level reaches the lh fuel cap/gauge...
...any issue with seepage or is the twist cap actually safe?

Thank you

Old 12-05-2016, 04:54 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Originally Posted by mpescatori
Hello all, I have thoughts at times and this one I simply cannot shrug off.

My 1995 Superglide has a 4.2 gal tank (16 liters) with a center-fill cap. a tank out there which will hold anything between 5.5 and 6.5 gals which is more or less a direct bolt-on replacement.

I aim to go long range (solo) touring and I can only get 240km (150 miles) between stops; anything beyond that means switching into reserve...
The factory stock HD tank capacity for the '95 FXD is 5 gal.
"Reserve" holds almost a gallon, so you've got another 30 miles of range before sweating it.

Unfortunately, you are carb'd. It's great for performance, but range suffers (as you've discovered.)
Your choices are~
1. Just ride your bike and get fuel more often, or

2. Sell your bike and go "fuelie."

3. Modify your existing FXD to fuelie

4. 3.1415926...

Old 12-05-2016, 05:02 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Dynas have a square backbone. Makes finding tanks difficult. A wideglide tank would be what you are looking for with the speedo centered and the gas cap and gauge on the sides of the top. If I'm not mistaken it's only a slight increase in capacity though. My tank had a dent so I've been searching for a low rider style one. Low riders had the speedo and tach on the tank.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:37 AM
mpescatori
Cruiser
Smile

Thank you.

THIS is what I'm talking about. I am partial to bar-mounted instruments so a tank bib is the way to go.

Fat Bob Softail 6 gal. tank

So either it's for a Fat Bob... or it's for a Softail... or it's compatible to both so it should fit the square tube of a Superglide...

I emailed them an enquiry on compatibility but haven't received a reply yet.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:46 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Originally Posted by mpescatori

Fat Bob Softail 6 gal. tank

So either it's for a Fat Bob... or it's for a Softail... or it's compatible to both so it should fit the square tube of a Superglide...

I emailed them an enquiry on compatibility but haven't received a reply yet.

Harley re-uses "Labels" and that can cause misinterpretations depending on your knowledge base...

They are not referring to the Dyna FXDF "Fat Bob" (introduced in 2008). Think of a Split Fat Bob tank as a Style of tank.

FWIW, Harley also made an older FXEF "Fat Bob" introduced in 1979 (i think) and it also used Split "Fat Bob" tanks.

You can probably see how issues occur

Old 12-06-2016, 11:25 AM
Kid Red
Advanced

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Harley re-uses "Labels" and that can cause misinterpretations depending on your knowledge base...

They are not referring to the Dyna FXDF "Fat Bob" (introduced in 2008). Think of a Split Fat Bob tank as a Style of tank.

FWIW, Harley also made an older FXEF "Fat Bob" introduced in 1979 (i think) and it also used Split "Fat Bob" tanks.

You can probably see how issues occur
Yep, it can get confusing but Multihdrdr is putting you on the right path. There are Peanut tanks, Tear Drop, Mustang, Alien Head, Stretched, etc... all styles of tanks along with Fat Bob. I wish I could point you to a bigger tank that'd fit your bike but at least the type of tank is clear as mud now.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:35 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Seems like a lot of effort and expense just to gain maybe another 30 miles in range, but if it's something that means that much maybe someone here will come up with a solution.
Now, there's a little bit of jealousy here. I only wish my aging body could go 150 miles without needing to be pried out of the seat.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:08 PM
mpescatori
Cruiser

"Think of a Split Fat Bob tank as a Style of tank."

Unfortunately you are right.
The vendor finally replied and explained that "Fat Bob" is a style of (extra large) tank made specifically for Fat Boys and other Softail-based models.

Maybe a Road King tank might do the job ? I'm really keen on this thing... we're talking an extra 60-70 miles on a tankful.
In some places, it really means "getting there" vs. having to strap a jerrycan...