Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxillary Brake light/Running light kit

Old 10-02-2018, 06:35 PM
SMFtwstdHICK
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Auxillary Brake light/Running light kit

I was wondering if there were any wide glide riders or other dyna rider that have set up their rear indicators for being to have running lights as well? Obviously the safety factor, but, how many are running the kit? I keep going back and forth on the kit. I think mostly because how much I have dropped on my bike in the last week. hahahahah

Just looking for opinions, pros , cons..

Thanks.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:40 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

I installed the mod on my Softail, took about 10 min. Well worth it.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (11-16-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 08:25 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I'm on my second version of a stop/turn/tail setup. I consider it a mandatory mod. I went a different route than most but the results are the same.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:23 PM
SMFtwstdHICK
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I am picking one up this afternoon.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:52 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

I'm curious about this topic as well. I'm currently planning an approach to getting rid of the two big chrome cereal bowls on the back of my bike in favor of something nicer looking, and was thinking about converting from blinker only to a run/turn/brake setup. I'm leaning towards the Kellermann Micro Rhombus, which comes in a number of configurations (blinker only, blinker/running light, blinker/running/brake, and blinker only with dual LED light sources - twice as bright).

I'm honestly WAY more competent/knowledgeable with mechanical stuff than electric stuff... What's the easiest way to do this? I know I need a load equalizer of some sort for the LED conversion, but beyond that... Do I get the run/turn/brake configuration and just tap into the appropriate circuits, or can I get the turn only configuration (which allows me to get the "extreme" version with dual lights) and use a controller like the Kuryakyn one designed to convert an OEM setup to function as run/turn/brake?

Old 10-03-2018, 09:34 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

My first go at this was a result of my attempt to find a lower cost alternative to a new TSM (turn signal module). My original TSM failed and a replacement was something like $150, which I considered excessive for a glorified flasher relay.

With that in mind, and knowing I wanted to move to LEDs all-around, I knew I needed something with a self cancelling ability and solid state flashers (no load equalizers). My research led me to the Badlands Illuminator Pro III. It did the job admirably for something like $80. My only complaint was that the flasher cancel was a fixed timer and I often found myself having to set the signals a second time in heavy traffic. That led me to the latest iteration, which I hesitate to recommend to most based on cost and complexity...although it's positively brilliant kit.

Unfortunately I can't comment on how it would work with a TSM installed. Badlands, Kury, and Custom Dynamics all make various solutions to this problem. Some plug-n-play, others "universal"...meaning you need to decipher a wiring diagram and cut and splice appropriately.

With regard to LED selection, a lot of it comes down to exactly how they're wired internally. You need to know how many circuits (wires) feed the signal. Mine are the most basic 2 wire. A single LED being fed a variety of signals to illuminate differently based on rider input. That requires more complex controls upstream, unfortunately.

I assume the switchback (dual color) LEDs are at least three wire, so that the turn signal can be wired separate from run/brake. That's much simpler and can be controlled with nothing more than a couple diodes wired in parallel on that LED. Still leaves the load equalizer in play, but that's also simple.

Frankly, the TSM is the real hurdle for us pre-CAN owners. If you can live without self cancelling, things get real simple real fast. LOL!

I'm rambling. Let me know if I need to cover something in more detail.

I'm going to park this here, because I think it's worth mentioning even though it's tangential to the topic...
https://safer-turn.com These guys make a couple really cool brake and turn controllers.

Oh, also this adapter...which I'm currently using... Hopkins 48895

Last edited by cggorman; 10-03-2018 at 09:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cggorman:
crusader1xxx (10-04-2018), F86 (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 11:10 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Thanks a million, Chris. I was actually looking at that same Badlands piece... I've actually considered losing my TSM because of the self-cancelling function... It's rarely on the money for me. I end up hitting the button a million times before actually turning. I don't think it would bother me to just have them stay on until I hit the button again. That's how my other bike is, and I rarely find myself riding around with a signal lit.

I'll think deeper, and then may hit you up with some more questions...

Old 10-04-2018, 01:30 AM
ledoutfitters
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

woohh! that's amazing..I'm curious about this .. you must Check ledoutfitters.com once amazing designs of Lightbars are their with amazing offers..

Old 10-04-2018, 03:51 PM
2011hdfat
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I just did this in august. bought the module from harley. put red led kuryakyn bulbs with clear lenses in the signal lights, boom. done. I also have the HD LED tail light for the Fatbob (came with bike). The led red signal lights compliment it very well, however, the tail light is smoked, and the signal lights are now brighter than the tail light. however, that being said, kinda like it like that. Can always go with smoked lenses instead of clear. Might not see where I came from, but you'll know where i'm going that's for sure. can see these a mile or more away. lol.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:14 PM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Going to be replacing my Kellerman 1000’s for the Attos also from Kellerman. 1000’s have been great but prone to being hit by my leg getting on/off the bike. If/when you place your order,make sure you get the correct adapter for your strut.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auxillary Brake light/Running light kit