Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fxd vs fxr

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 06:38 AM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool Me 100 %

maybe an fxrse twin cam 120r
I get rid of my dyna in a snap

Originally Posted by randytelecaster
How many people would like to see Harley-Davidson produce a new limited edition FXR with modern suspension, brakes, and 17' sportbike wheels ?

Old 11-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Garyk
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned an 97 FXR, then a 91 Dyna and now the 11 Dyna, FXR handled so much better than either Dyna , even the 91 handled better than the 11. The 91 was a Sturgis model, made some pretty good $$ on it but kick myself in the *** for selling it now..

Old 11-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Garyk
I have owned an 97 FXR, then a 91 Dyna and now the 11 Dyna, FXR handled so much better than either Dyna , even the 91 handled better than the 11. The 91 was a Sturgis model, made some pretty good $$ on it but kick myself in the *** for selling it now..
Don't know what you had, but there wasn't a 97 FXR built by HD. Perhaps you transposed the 91 FXR with the 97 Dyna?

Last edited by Lakerat; 11-24-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Garyk
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakerat
Don't know what you had, but there wasn't a 97 FXR built by HD. Perhaps you transposed the 91 FXR with the 97 Dyna?
It was an 87....sorry

Old 11-25-2011, 07:33 PM
randytelecaster
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two things about this are certain. 1.) A triangle of equal side length is the strongest geometric form know to man. Look at the triangulated sidecovers rails of an FXR... SUPERIOR TO AN FXD! 2.) If the Dyna frame were superior, it would have been incorporated into the Touring line. Only the new Switchback is based on a Dyna and it is so light it is not a big tourer. One other thing..I'VE NEVER HEARD A PERSON REJOICE OVER SELLING AN FXR...LOL. It is always regretted.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:11 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by last saint
.....nothin' compares to an FXR. Harley shoulda never discontinued such an awesome machine...
Bears repeating.

Mine was an FXRS-SP I bought new in '89. Moco should have continued to evolve that line. Lighter, WAY better handling, and WAY better sounding! I must add that the Dyna's vibration isolation is vastly superior.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:13 PM
fxdcfrisco
6th Gear

One difference I have not seen mentioned is the fact dyna models have a floating swing arm, it connects at transmission case, not frame. Only harley that handles close to the fxr is the sportster at the moment.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:47 AM
randytelecaster
6th Gear

Originally Posted by fxdcfrisco
One difference I have not seen mentioned is the fact dyna models have a floating swing arm, it connects at transmission case, not frame. Only harley that handles close to the fxr is the sportster at the moment.
That is very true. Now, I believe in being fair. If the engine, transmission, and primary were unitized like a Sportster or V-rod the flexing issue would be less of an issue. Think about the Buell XB series. While I'm sure there was some movement at the back of the engine in the Buell's the bikes make excellent street handlers and based on raced bikes.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:51 AM
randytelecaster
6th Gear

I don't see why we couldn't have performance and "the look" as well. Why not a hidden single shock like a Victory in a strong frame ? It seems to be recieved by riders more everyday .

Old 11-30-2011, 09:39 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

"Only the new Switchback is based on a Dyna and it is so light it is not a big tourer."

718lbs is "so light" ????? How heavy does a bike have to be to become a big tourer? Weren't the origional FLH's about 700+lbs? A lot of people used to think they were big tourers...

Quick Reply: fxd vs fxr