Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fxd vs fxr

Old 05-15-2008, 09:18 AM
roofer
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fxd vs fxr

I really like the looks of the fxr's, what are the major differances between the two and improvements made on the dyna's Anyone know

Old 05-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: fxd vs fxr

FXD is a Dyna. FXR is...well, an FXR. Totally different frames. The Dyna replace the FXR because it was cheaper to produce. Whether that was an improvement is open to interpretation.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:39 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: BG Weasel

FXD is a Dyna. FXR is...well, an FXR. Totally different frames. The Dyna replace the FXR because it was cheaper to produce.
+1 That's what I've heard too. FXD is not necessarily, specifically an evolutionary climb above the FXR but one can see obvious similarities. And when you go into dealerships, you see that the Dyna/FXR accessories are on the same wall. But, I've heard they stopped making the FXR because the frame is more expensive to produce and there wasn't enough demand to justify it. You can still buy FXR frames though, just not from HD.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 AM
mikedmeyer
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe FXR's had the engine mounted to 3 rubber mounts where the Dynas have 2. The Dyna chassis was supposed to be engineered better and be an improvement over the FXR, but lots of people still preferred the FXR in handling, at least in the beginning. Now that the Dyna chassis has been re-designed twice since then you'd be hard pressed to get me to believe an FXR is better in any way than a new Dyna, but they're still classic bikes.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:46 PM
last saint
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I now own and have owned several dynas. Right now an 08 FXDB. But I've gotta say.....nothin' compares to an FXR. Harley shoulda never discontinued such an awesome machine. But, in their infinite wisdom, they did. Mostly because all of the yuppies wanted softails AND the FXR was an expensive frame to produce. Eric Buell was the creator of the great FXR frame. So, where do ya think the handling came from?

Old 05-15-2008, 09:38 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

FXR's also weighed a LOT less than the current FXD's; that always helps handling...but, I'd take a HD twin-cam over a HD Evo for a hop-up starting point. Everything inside the cases is stronger and the tranny is bolted to the back of the engine.....I seriously considered an FXR or building one with a twin cam and an aftermarket frame before I bought my FXDXT, stripped it down to the frame, and re-built it the way I wanted it.....

'01 FXDXT
103 by HQ
some aluminum and some composit and some other stuff
620lbs wet weight
goes good
handles OK

[IMG]local://upfiles/32069/FD7CC5A46F434C359B597FE392BC6C13.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-23-2011, 07:43 AM
randytelecaster
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many people would like to see Harley-Davidson produce a new limited edition FXR with modern suspension, brakes, and 17' sportbike wheels ?

Old 11-23-2011, 07:59 AM
randytelecaster
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's time for harley-davidson to do a modern fxr5 with xr-1200x suspension and brakes and a 103" twin cam 6-speed.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:23 AM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Sigh.

I have experience with the old FXR and it was a good bike. It was not without issues, however.

It was still an early version of the rubber mount system and, when pushed hard in the twisties, it also liked to wiggle around. The guy who started True Track was an early supplier of kits to stiffen up the rubber system. The procedure involved replacing rubber mounts with metal ones. Another supplier offered stainless struts that rigidly attached the entire swingarm to the frame and circumvented the rear rubber mounts.

I've been there and done it all with those bikes.

The FXR was not replaced in an effort to build something cheaper, lol. The Dyna was a highly engineering bike that was introduced mainly to address aethetic (looks) issues with the FXR. FXR fans now may not remember but, during it's time, there was market resistance to it because many people did not like the looks of the triangulated frame sections on the sides or the high backbone under the seat. They thought it looked too japanese or non-Harley.

The Dyna's development was actually an expensive one that offered a bike that looked more like the earlier "real" Harleys, e.g. the FX series but also retained the smoothness of the rubber mount system.

Again, the rubber mount running gear on the Dyna presented similar handling issues as the FXR when pushed hard. Most Harley riders, however, did not ride this way so the curvy road squirm was not a an issue that trumped what most considered the better, more traditional look of the Dyna.

The current Dyna models are improved over the original ones and, with proper suspension mods, e.g. jacking the rear end up and fitting better shocks, cartridges in the front forks, drive-train stabilizers, lower and more narrow handlebars, the Dyna can be made to handle as well or better than any Harley ever made, including the FXR. They can rival many of the european bikes when set up for such performance.

Last edited by leafman60; 11-24-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:29 AM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool my lady rides an 84 fxr I have a new fld

her bike is faster and handles way better the brakes stop better and it just hauls ***.
I would have not bought my dyna had I rode an fxr previously.
fxr is a rad bike
ask this guy which one he thinks is cooler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6adstrKHPc0

Originally Posted by mikedmeyer
I believe FXR's had the engine mounted to 3 rubber mounts where the Dynas have 2. The Dyna chassis was supposed to be engineered better and be an improvement over the FXR, but lots of people still preferred the FXR in handling, at least in the beginning. Now that the Dyna chassis has been re-designed twice since then you'd be hard pressed to get me to believe an FXR is better in any way than a new Dyna, but they're still classic bikes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fxd vs fxr