Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raked tree cups?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Originally Posted by Bahama Yellow
So if you put in 2 inch longer fork tubes, you may have to drop the bike at the rear a little too. Or take even longer fork tubes and cut them down.

How does one actually measure whether a bike is level? I guess you do it under load, with the rider sitting on it. But how would you measure it exactly?
My value is simply a crud effort to see the static sitting height of what they would do to my length (wheel base axle to axle) bike. I did not really know what the exact lower drop of the bearing cup was and this is important. My value did come out close to what others had posted. That is a lot in my opinion especially in the front. Depends on what you are trying to do. I would never do that to a daily driver. We have speed bumps on out interstates over here? HA... Actually I would be very concerned to use this product anyway. One large bump could move the cup and this offset would tighten the bearing to the point of pressing the grease completely out of the contact zone. Tapered rollers last longer with a grease film clearance zone between them. That is why most Harley's have a fall away setting rather then a torque. (also few people would have a torque tool capable of tighten them) If I did use them I would pin them to the neck with no fewer then three pins.

Just my thought's and engineering opinions. Not trying to step on any sponsors toes.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-28-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Bahama Yellow
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, RIPSAW, that is food for thought indeed.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:33 AM
18wheels
Cruiser

Ripsaw, I think your throwing way too many what if's in this.. once the bearing race is pressed into the neck, you wont have any movement!! just like the stock race, once pressed it, it wont move, so hitting a bump wont jar anything loose.. And i have 24,000 miles on my daily driver which has the 3 degree rake.. I know rake and trail are important but this mod doesn't put your bike into a dangerous condition.. Now this is just my opinion because I ride my bike almost every day and it doesn't ride any different from when I bought it, except for better handling at speed. I also thought about doing a 3 degree in the tree's but I like it the way it is right now.. I'm not an expert or a tech or college brain, just a rider..I dont need to know the calculated results of a mod I do, if I like it I use it, if not I go back to what I had.... And thats my 2 cents for the day...it's saturday!! go out and burn a tank of gas,it'll feel good...later...

Old 01-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Originally Posted by 18wheels
...it's saturday!! go out and burn a tank of gas,it'll feel good...later...

Just got back and yes felt good...thanks. Been a mild winter for us.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:58 AM
GeordieWarlock
Stage IV
Default FXDF Fat Bob raked triple tree

Hi Guy's. A bit off subject BUT ! DO Harley or any oem manufacturer produce a raked triple tree to kick the front end out on my 08 fat bob with the 49mm forks ?
Any help would be great
GeordieWarlock

Old 10-18-2017, 10:33 AM
Fatbob bagger
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy a set of wide glide trees. They have5 deg rake. I’ve also got a set of raked cups if you want. 3 deg raked cups.

Last edited by Fatbob bagger; 10-18-2017 at 10:41 AM.