Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Fork Air Baffle modified and mounted

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:36 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Front Fork Air Baffle modified and mounted

Thought I would mod and install one of the bagger front fork air baffles on the Dyna today. Based on some mods done by others.... but did the mount just a bit different.

Here is the standard baffle in stock form:

After the modification to fit my Dyna. I used the headlight bolt, and the bolt that holds the brake line. I actually wound up cutting more of the "ears" on each side off.

Mounted up!

Hopefully the weather will cooperate, and I'll take her out tomorrow and report my findings.

Last edited by archergodwin; 02-07-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:43 PM
bakerm75
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a bad mod for under 24$ Let me know how much difference it makes.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:53 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you riden with it yet?? What does it exactly do?? I wanna say buffeting, but then it seems to low to do anything for that. Sorry! Just never seen one or payed attention much to baggers!!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:58 PM
ratt196635
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to do a black one on mine soon. Like the way you done that better than the other thread that showed a different way to mod it. Let us know how it works out.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:09 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by JaronB
Have you riden with it yet?? What does it exactly do?? I wanna say buffeting, but then it seems to low to do anything for that. Sorry! Just never seen one or payed attention much to baggers!!
No, haven't taken it out yet. Got it finished about an hour or so ago. Several folks from a couple of previous threads have done this, and claims it works pretty well for the HD quick detach windshield buffeting issue.

Yeah, the idea is that it redirects the air that comes under the windshield, up around the gas tank, up our chests and rattles our eyeglasses and helmets. It has a downward flare to it, so it pushes more air downward towards the engine.... supposedly.

Will be interesting to see how well it works.

Last edited by archergodwin; 02-07-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:21 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Got it!! It would be interesting to see how that works. My buffeting was coming from the top of the windshield though. When I first got the windshield I used my hand all over the front as I was riding and when I put my hand above the top of my windshield it went away instantly. So I loosend those four alans and tilted the windshield forward and it all went away. My eyes don't jiggle out of my head anymore. Plus that's what my dad told me to because that's what made his go away.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:28 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Cool, that's another trick to try... Now if the weather will cooperate

Had a nice ride down to LEW today though!!

Old 02-07-2009, 10:33 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Thought about riding into work today, but when it said 28 degrees and I almost ate in my drive from ice I'm glad I didn't, but went to Harley after work and it was 50 and I was mad.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:47 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Well, weather did cooperate and took her out for a good spin.

With the windshield down all the way, not any noticeable help. With the windshield up, I'm pretty sure there was much less buffeting.

The reason I say 'pretty sure', is that it's not warm enough yet around here to ride with my half shell. I was riding with my full helmet.... buffeting much more noticeable with the half shell. However I did move my hand around to feel where the air streams were coming from.... very little coming up from underneath... with the windshield all the way up.

I will probably try Jaron's method next, which is to loosen bolts holding the shield to the QD mounts, and move the top forward (away from the rider). Not sure when I'll get to do that.... supposed to snow again tonight, and almost every day next week.... blah :|

Old 06-28-2011, 12:10 PM
daurwid
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ratt196635
Going to do a black one on mine soon. Like the way you done that better than the other thread that showed a different way to mod it. Let us know how it works out.
I found the black Part #58520-79B.

Quick Reply: Front Fork Air Baffle modified and mounted