Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust bracket removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:51 PM
dynabagger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust bracket removal?

This might be a dumb question, I had my pipes put on at the local stealer. When I got the bike back this bracket for the stock pipes was still there. I don't know if oil will leak out if I remove it. I have seen several other dyna's that this bracket was still on also. I don't see anything about this in my service manual. Can I take it off?exhaust bracket removal?-bracket.jpg

Old 04-21-2009, 04:59 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

honestly... i left mine on... i had already powder coated it black... and now i use it to lock my helmet... works great!

Old 04-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried seven ways to Sunday to take mine off. Some here have fabricated a tool using a chopped torx bit welded to a wrench-like piece of metal to take theirs off. I have no such resources, but would pay for one if it were available and just pass it on to the next guy who needs it.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:06 PM
painguy
Advanced

I have the same problem. I saw a post on here about a month ago where a guy put up a picture of a dyna exhaust bracket removal tool from jp cycles for 24.99. I looked in my catalog and didn't see one. I have tried to get it off but don't want to strip out the holes until I find the right tool. I really don't want to spend 25.00 to take off the bracket.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:22 PM
sata6
Cruiser

i took mine off with a cut down torx bit t-27 it took alot of patiance but i got it off.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:40 PM
phatman
Road Captain
Default Found it

J&P does have a tool. Seems kind of expensive though. here's a link for those interested. http://www.jpcycles.com/Search/Produ...results=10&No=

Old 04-21-2009, 07:03 PM
dynabagger
Advanced
Default Success

I got that ugly a@# bracket off! Made my own tool. Took the torx bit out of a torx socket, it has a little tit on the bit to hold it in the socket. Drove the bit into the closed end of a 1/4 inch wrench, little tit held it in the wrench. Got that on the bolt, then put the closed end of a 9/16 wrench on the 1/4 wrench. Wrapped a piece of gasket material around the frame (no scratches) then used a screwdriver to push up on the bit. Took some force but got the bolt broken then took a wobble torx bit and got it the rest of the way out. Only had to do this on the outside bolt at the front of the bracket. Used a torx screwdriver with a pair of pliers to break the other to bolts loose.exhaust bracket removal?-bike-2.jpg

exhaust bracket removal?-tool.jpg

Old 04-21-2009, 07:06 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My D&D reused the stock bracket.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:54 AM
jimw411
Tourer

I was able to reuse the stock brackett that goes around the pipe and bolts to the brackett when i did the Big Shots staggard on my 06'. When i put the short shots on my wifes 07' It wouldn't line up bacuase the pipes are bent different and are a little further away from the motor.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:51 PM
jasunto
Novice

having the same struggle and found this thread, i have V&H pro pipe and noticed this damn bracket, frame has it blocked from almost all access. I got a 1/4" bit ratchet which got one out/loose, one stripped, the other i have no access. Im about to get a torx bit and hack saw it down with enough nub to fit a 1/4' box end wrench over it. Damn stealership would charge $100 to remove during oil change im sure. I would like to put them stock torx bolts back in the holes afterward.

Attached Thumbnails exhaust bracket removal?-file_0.png  

Quick Reply: exhaust bracket removal?