Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superglides a tough sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Professor
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Superglides a tough sale

I've sold many different models over the years: dressers, softails, dynas of all sorts. For me, the superglide is the toughest to sell, even at a really competitive market price. It makes me wonder about the segment that this model appeals to. I wonder if this segment is hit harder by the recession? Thoughts?

Old 04-27-2009, 07:07 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When's the last time HD promoted any part of the Dyna line. Even the FatBob got little attention compared to the CrossBones. Also, the godawful stock buckhorn handlebars don't help.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:07 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

ahh dont know... one thing that hurt is it is not all BLACK! seems like everyone wants black black black now... it will pass... then the silver and chrome will once again retain the obsession of people

Old 04-27-2009, 07:19 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a Super Glide 2.5 years ago because I was poor.

I could not buy a Super Glide now because I am really poor.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought an FXD for a couple of reasons, speedo on the bars where I could see it without looking down(added a tach) mag wheels, liked the aircraft style gas cap, and I knew I was going to change a lot of it to my preference, not someone elses, so why spend more?. I like the silver motor w/ a few chrome accents. 14k OTD plus another 6+ in suspension, brakes, seat, bars,risers,a chrome package, grips,fork brace,sputhe PT,
T-max, exhaust, Zippers a/c, etc, the money I saved buying an FXD kinda helped me rationalize all these purchases. So I really didn't save any money buying a Super Glide, but the bike fits me perfectly now. I'm one happy guy

Old 04-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Thornhammer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Superglide Custom because I wanted a Big Twin, didn't want to step up to a bagger yet, and didn't want to spend the extra money on a Softail. The "bobs" didn't really call out to me, and I like chrome.

Ipso dipso calypso, FXDC.

Doesn't hurt that I got hit with The Thunderbolt when I saw the Red Hot Sunglo FXDC sitting on the floor. Va va voom, baby!

Old 04-27-2009, 07:40 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Put a solo seat on it and call it a Street Bob...

Seriously, I like the Bob's, but the new grey engine hardly distinguishes it from a Super Glide. The speedo mountcan be dealt with if the price is right..

Old 04-27-2009, 07:48 PM
dlstanf2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With a FXD you are more into motorcycling and the feel of the ride than in styling.

The other night when I went to our local HOG chapter meeting I noticed all the baggers backed in against the building. My thought was that this was a bunch of "BarcaLoungers" in need of a foot rest.

Having ridden the touring models, the softtail line, and the sportsters, I find the Dynas are just a crank it and go ride. Simple, classic, kind of like an old Austin Healey. No need to adjust the radio, CB volume, get the wireless online, wait for the GPS to locate it's satellites, or warm up the seat.

Most of the time, you have personalized it to suit your likes and wants and increased its performance and handling.It's an emotion and sometimes feelings are hard to impart on those that don't understand.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:48 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor
I've sold many different models over the years: dressers, softails, dynas of all sorts. For me, the superglide is the toughest to sell, even at a really competitive market price. It makes me wonder about the segment that this model appeals to. I wonder if this segment is hit harder by the recession? Thoughts?
I don't know where you're from, but SG's sell VERY well where I am! Probably the biggest seller actually.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:58 PM
ELECTRICMONKEY
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe your customers see that you dont like the superglide and unconsiosly you don't want to sell it to them. Be passionate about selling them and learn to appreciate the minimalist style.

I bought one cause I did not want any chrome to polish and I ride hard and fast!

Last edited by ELECTRICMONKEY; 04-27-2009 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Superglides a tough sale