Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no Dyna choppers???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:24 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by thistlethunder
Here is mine that I built 3 yrs. ago. Rolling Thunder "Fat ***" Dyna frame, with a "Sugar Bear" 18" over springer. With the Dyna rubber mounting system the 124" is as smooth as glass at 75. The Arnott air ride "Aldon" shocks and springer make it as smooth as my bagger. Only down fall is I made the tank only 3 1/2 gals so I have to stop for gas way before I want to. TT
Very nice Chop, and excellent looking springer.

The following users liked this post:
Dave Sleyer (04-03-2024)
Old 12-05-2010, 11:23 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Thats exactly what I'm talking about. I mean lets be honest, Dyna's are the cheapest big twin, especially as far as used bikes go. Weren't choppers always cheap used bikes that guys bought and chopped up. Thats one cool chopper. At least in my mind, the Softail choppers are no nicer. This is the example that makes me scratch my head. Were are all these bikes? Why aren't more people doing this. Rubber mount, smoother ride, lighter weight, I guess I'll never understand. I understand the hardtail look, I do. But as much as Harley would have us believe Softails look like hardtails, they don't. It just seemed to me if your building a chopper with suspension, why not do the rubber mount Dyna? Seems a whole lot more practical as well. But none of the builders seem to agree with me.

NenadX (03-05-2021)
Old 12-05-2010, 12:27 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Thats exactly what I'm talking about. I mean lets be honest, Dyna's are the cheapest big twin, especially as far as used bikes go. Weren't choppers always cheap used bikes that guys bought and chopped up. Thats one cool chopper. At least in my mind, the Softail choppers are no nicer. ...... ...... But as much as Harley would have us believe Softails look like hardtails, they don't. It just seemed to me if your building a chopper with suspension, why not do the rubber mount Dyna? Seems a whole lot more practical as well. But none of the builders seem to agree with me.
To me the only time softtails ever looked good is when the solo seat is mounted to the main frame and the back fender is mounted to the softail, close to the tire. Otherwise it just looks like a rigid frame with the fender high off the tire. The Harley Rocker C looks good but I think the seat could be moved just a tad lower without incident. The Honda Fury would look good if it weren't for that ridiculously small profile rear tire, and too small a tank.
On this Dyna pic it appears the custom fender is curved downward right at the end and the sides, to give a "hug" appearance.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:31 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
Although it might not be too over-the-top ... I'd say man4mopar's '06 Wide Glide with an aftermarket springer front end comes pretty close to a 'Dyna chopper' ...

I'm not that big of a fan of long fork choppers, but I think man4mopar did a great job with his bike ....

R/
'Chop

I really like the look of this bike. Nice!

Old 12-05-2010, 12:33 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Here is mine that I built 3 yrs. ago. Rolling Thunder "Fat ***" Dyna frame, with a "Sugar Bear" 18" over springer. With the Dyna rubber mounting system the 124" is as smooth as glass at 75. The Arnott air ride "Aldon" shocks and springer make it as smooth as my bagger. Only down fall is I made the tank only 3 1/2 gals so I have to stop for gas way before I want to.
TT

Gorgeous looking scoot, but I wonder if I would be able to see over the handlebars.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:43 PM
thistlethunder
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for your comments. I'm 6'2" so it fits me perfect with 5" out and 7" up and 42 degrees in the neck. Rolling Thunder was great to work with on the frame build.
Like I said with the Dyna rubber mount and the outboard shocks and the springer it is
just a dream to ride, even up here in the Great White North with our questionable highways.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:16 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 711 Likes on 328 Posts

I don't usually put the words dyna and chopper in the same sentence, but to each their own I suppose. Snapped this one a few years ago at a show, I kinda dig it but it's right on my level of tolerance.

bungalowbill6@gmail.com (04-22-2021)
Old 12-05-2010, 05:51 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Forum member m i k e has a long-fork 96 Low Rider that the PowderPro did some work on recently ....

Couldn't find the 'after' photos ... looks a lot different since Joe PC'd a bunch of parts gloss black ... maybe someone else can find the thread or m i k e will post up some more current pics ....

R/
'Chop

Old 04-08-2011, 06:43 AM
Shams Malaya
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my 06 Dyna Low Rider with 2" over springer fork. Not the best in handling but i get the chopper feel.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Shams Malaya
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I am still new to this forum. I didnt intend to post a very big pic...

Quick Reply: Why no Dyna choppers???