Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDL shock adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:20 PM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

I use a rubber strap wrench, you can get them anywhere (Sears, auto parts stores), they are inexpensive and in my humble experience, work better than the HD wrench, and don't scratch the chrome shocks.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:11 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use one of those rubber strap wrenches those adjuster that come with the shocks are a bitch to hold onto

Old 03-12-2011, 04:36 AM
kpolak
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It a bit easier to adjust if you lift the rear tire off the floor.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:33 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,100 Likes on 1,913 Posts
Talking

A 12" pipe wrench worked for mine.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by coop creek
I use a rubber strap wrench, you can get them anywhere (Sears, auto parts stores), they are inexpensive and in my humble experience, work better than the HD wrench, and don't scratch the chrome shocks.
Same here.

Sammi

Old 03-13-2011, 03:18 PM
nutter
Cruiser

I have a 01 fxdl and am I new rider. Can I adjust my rear shocks to sit lower when im on it? I only weigh 140 and I know its designed for a 200 pound rider

Old 07-17-2015, 01:06 PM
Craddman
Stage II
Default Reviving an old post

I know this is an old post but I came across it looking for information on how to adjust the shocks on my FXDL. I just bought the 08 FXDL from my brother - he weighs about 185 and I weigh about 275 so I knew I needed to adjust the shocks, just didn't know how.

Interesting how the owners manual doesn't mention squat about this.

Got online and found a bunch of conflicting information - could've just been correct info. on differing years/models but anyway...

On my 08, it is clearly marked on the lower cap of the rear shock - preloading spring and has 1,2 3,4 & 5 clearly printed. On the mount, directly below, there is another label with an arrow pointing up to the cap, corresponding to the current setting. I've read people mentioning changing this by hand. Unless you take the weight off the bike, I don't see how this is possible. The lower cap has a series of holes around its perimeter. I have NO idea why HD would suggest using a spanner wrench for adjustment. This is only asking for scratches. Use a strap wrench and it is very easy. 1 is the lowest setting (CCW to get to 1) with 5 being the highest (more weight). Turn CW to increase setting. Make sure both are set the same for obvious safety reasons.

Just passing this along for all the newbs like me who weren't sure and who may get conflicting info. From what I've found, there is no set weight limit that corresponds to each "click" just trial and error. If you bottom out, go to the next higher setting. Obviously, if you'll be riding 2 up, go to a higher setting.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:19 PM
Ed Grez
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Craddman
I know this is an old post but I came across it looking for information on how to adjust the shocks on my FXDL. I just bought the 08 FXDL from my brother - he weighs about 185 and I weigh about 275 so I knew I needed to adjust the shocks, just didn't know how.

Interesting how the owners manual doesn't mention squat about this.

Got online and found a bunch of conflicting information - could've just been correct info. on differing years/models but anyway...

On my 08, it is clearly marked on the lower cap of the rear shock - preloading spring and has 1,2 3,4 & 5 clearly printed. On the mount, directly below, there is another label with an arrow pointing up to the cap, corresponding to the current setting. I've read people mentioning changing this by hand. Unless you take the weight off the bike, I don't see how this is possible. The lower cap has a series of holes around its perimeter. I have NO idea why HD would suggest using a spanner wrench for adjustment. This is only asking for scratches. Use a strap wrench and it is very easy. 1 is the lowest setting (CCW to get to 1) with 5 being the highest (more weight). Turn CW to increase setting. Make sure both are set the same for obvious safety reasons.

Just passing this along for all the newbs like me who weren't sure and who may get conflicting info. From what I've found, there is no set weight limit that corresponds to each "click" just trial and error. If you bottom out, go to the next higher setting. Obviously, if you'll be riding 2 up, go to a higher setting.
That sums it up perfectly!!