Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay, I feel like a complete idiot...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 06:25 PM
owend78
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Question Okay, I feel like a complete idiot...

I know that I don't post much, think that I am still under 20. But, I have been looking for the last few weeks on here, as well as other sites and still can't find what I am looking for.

I am trying to move up to a 150 rear tire from the stock size of 130 and get a wider fender as well. Is it possible to do without having to do any mods (difficult ones)? Like maybe just a wider rim, narrower belt and new rear caliper? Or am I just dreaming when I think of this? I know it could happen if I had the tools, but from just looking at about 50% of the posts on here I know that I would be surprised of the room once I start taking everything apart. When I start this project it won't be until after the riding season, that way I can save some money for it too.

Just looking for thoughts and opinions to curb and satisfy my curiosity.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:59 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Without further investigation, I'd think a 150 would fit on your 1996 FXDWG without any alteration or too much trouble ....

I'm a little surprised that your rear tire is a 130 ...

You realize that the number is the width in millimeters ... 130mm = ~5-1/8 inch ... 150mm = ~5-7/8 inch ....

I think on my '05 FXDI the stock tire was a 150 ... I measured at one point but I don't recall the width of my fender ... pretty sure it was more than 7" wide, though ....

Although I am not certain, I am inclined to believe that the additional 3/4" width of going from 130 - 150 is NOT going to be a problem ... in fact, I think you may well find it would fit on your existing rim ....

Again ... my input is worth what you paid for it, but I think you'd be okay going to a 150 ....

Good luck and post up your results for the next guy ....

R/
'Chop

Old 03-28-2011, 07:07 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Gee, the stock FRONT tire on my FatBoy is a 140...

Call the MoCo and see if a 180 would fit. That's a nice size.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:16 PM
fxd03
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 150/70/18 on the back of mine 03 FXD without any alteration exept for me changing the rim to a 18" had a 150 on my 16" rim before

Old 03-28-2011, 07:42 PM
owend78
Tourer

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
Without further investigation, I'd think a 150 would fit on your 1996 FXDWG without any alteration or too much trouble ....

I'm a little surprised that your rear tire is a 130 ...

You realize that the number is the width in millimeters ... 130mm = ~5-1/8 inch ... 150mm = ~5-7/8 inch ....

I think on my '05 FXDI the stock tire was a 150 ... I measured at one point but I don't recall the width of my fender ... pretty sure it was more than 7" wide, though ....

Although I am not certain, I am inclined to believe that the additional 3/4" width of going from 130 - 150 is NOT going to be a problem ... in fact, I think you may well find it would fit on your existing rim ....

Again ... my input is worth what you paid for it, but I think you'd be okay going to a 150 ....

Good luck and post up your results for the next guy ....

R/
'Chop
Stock size is 130/90/16, Was looking at going with the rear fender from the 01 time frame, just put a little more meet under it. Maby drop it a bit so that it hugs the rubber a bit more. With the tire that I have right now I have only got about a fingers width or less space to reach up in the fender, so I know that I cannot go too much bigger with out a new fender at least. My quest continues...

Oh, what about the fender? Will an '01-'05 (?) bolt up the bike with out too much chopping and cutting?

The responses did get my wheels turning a bit more though, getting to spend money I don't have

Old 03-28-2011, 08:04 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Before I did work to my '00 FXDL, the widest tire I could fit was a 140mm Avon. With the chain conversion, now squeeze a 150mm in.

I would think you'd be safe with a 140 but pushing it trying to get a 150 on.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:07 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

You're main obstacle is going to be your drive belt. You have a wider drive belt than most of the newer bikes have. I think the stock rear fender will actually clear the 150, it's the drive belt that's going to be in your way. If you change to a narrower belt, or chain drive, I think you'll be able to put a 150 under there without much other modification.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:14 PM
owend78
Tourer

If i go with a smaller belt, I know that the rear is obvious, but would i have to change out any internals for the belt drive?

The reason I was asking about the fender - license plat is WIDER that fender, don't like that too much and if I go with a wider fender, I can justify to myself a new paint job too

Old 03-28-2011, 09:19 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by owend78
If i go with a smaller belt, I know that the rear is obvious, but would i have to change out any internals for the belt drive?

The reason I was asking about the fender - license plat is WIDER that fender, don't like that too much and if I go with a wider fender, I can justify to myself a new paint job too
I'm not sure but I think all you have to do to go to a narrower belt is change out the pulleys and belt. Changing the rear pulley would be easy, but changing the front one is a pretty big job because the primary has to come off. I've never made the change though, so there may be more to it than I know.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I am pretty sure the primary would have to come off to change out the belt ... this is not that difficult, but rather time consuming and requires a locking tool (7-1/8" steel bar to lock the drive shaft sprocket and clutch basket sprocket) while you loosen the nuts ....

Of course you also have to drain the primary fluid, et c. ... I don't know if you would have to change out the pulleys on the rear wheel or transmission ... but, if you did not, it makes me wonder what would make the narrower belt ride 'outboard' (so as not to rub the tire) in the wider pulley 'track' ....

Perhaps that issue was resolved in one of the threads on running a 200mm tire ....

If you do have to remove the transmission drive pulley, there is a special deep-well socket you'll need to get that pulley off ....

Not sure how much help this post is, except to alert you to possible issues you'll face ...

And really, you need justification to paint your bike ...? (For your wife or significant other ... huh ...?)

Quick Reply: Okay, I feel like a complete idiot...