Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Machine 6-piston caliper on Super Glide Custom

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:36 PM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Performance Machine 6-piston caliper on Super Glide Custom

I just fitted my new 09 Super Glide Custom with a PM 6-piston caliper. The stock, single rotor brake worked okay but I was curious about improving on it.

I did not want to add a second disk because I like the look of the clean right side of the wheel. Originally, I looked into fitting the 6-piston caliper AND a 13-inch disk. PM says you cannot do that on the Dyna but that you can fit the standard 6-piston caliper on the stock disk. I still cannot understand why the 13-inch caliper will not work but they seem emphatic about it.

I bought and installed the pretty 6-piston contrast-cut unit on the SGlide. Verdict ? It's good but not that much better than the stock caliper. The PM is expensive and I am not sure it's worth the cost as far as increased braking performance. I think I can notice an improvement but it is not much.

I notice that the PM pads are not as wide on the sweep area of the disk. There is about a quarter of an inch of extra sweep on the disk from the stock pads. The PM pads seem to have a longer sweep area, however.

I kept the stock brake master cylinder. The feel is about the same as with the stock set-up. I'm afraid that, if I went to a smaller piston in the MC, it would feel mushy and, if I went to a larger piston, it would feel wooden and less-powerful.

I may improvise later and fit a 13-inch rotor. All in all, the 6-piston caliper alone is not a significant improvement for me. It DOES look good, though !

Old 06-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Uquackmeup
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm, I felt a significant enhancement with the 6 pot PM caliper. My 07 SB came with a rubber brake line. I switched that to a braided steel brake line and that really made a difference.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I talked to a tech at PM about the 13 inch rotors and apparently Harley changed the mounting point of the caliper when they went to the 300mm disc.
He said Todd Silicato (www.toddscycle.com 1-714-901-4516) has fabricated a relocation bracket for the 6 piston caliper and 13" disc on the late model Dynas.