Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front susp?? Mine sucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:10 PM
Cory S
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front susp?? Mine sucks

I have progressive front spring replacements not the drop ins. And I am only getting and inch or so travel out of the front susp it rides like a tank. So I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this same problem. What is a good front suspension spring that will give me a 1" drop and not ride like ****. If it rode half as good as stock I would be happy.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

When you put in your springs were they the same length as the stock? You can replace the springs with constant rate from RaceTech and trim the spacer to any length to get your setup.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Cory S
Cruiser

I don't think so

Old 01-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Juan L

Longer or shorter? Sounds like shorter and you didn't put the spacers in because you have no travel on your suspension.

Measure the length of the springs you took out. Measure the length of the springs you put in. You may have been given some spacer material that looks like heavy duty PVC pipe and four washers. You want to cut the PVC pipe so it almost makes up the difference between the two spings and the addition of two washers and the PVC pipe plus new springs equals your old spring length. This will get you started. Change the fork oil while you are doing this. Make sure your fork oil level is at the correct height! This is VERY important!

Put new springs in tube followed by one washer then install spacer then the final washer on top of that.

Search for "setting rider sag" and take your measurements. Of course if you are lowering you lose fork travel and your spacer will be shorter.

Last edited by Juan L; 01-27-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Cory S
Cruiser

You I reallY don't know I didn't put them next to each other and my brother installed them.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Juan L

Read above.....

Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Cory S
Cruiser

Awesome although I'm a dummy when it comes to front suspension. I will have to find a write up on pulling the front springs! Do I have to pull the sliders off or is all this done from the top

Old 01-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Juan L

Do you have a service manual? I am not sure how much it is different than a Road King but if I were you I would have it up on a jack to make it easier. One little bit of advice....
Don't half-*** forks...it will come back to bite you and the results could be disastrous.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Cory S
Cruiser

I don't have anything from when they are installed. Where could I get the washers? Should I just order new front springs to get that stuff. Also when he installed them he gave me stock springs and 2 metal tubes that he took out about a foot long.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Cory S
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rwhisen
Do you have a service manual? I am not sure how much it is different than a Road King but if I were you I would have it up on a jack to make it easier. One little bit of advice....
Don't half-*** forks...it will come back to bite you and the results could be disastrous.
I have a lift in the garage. One thing I don't wanna do is half *** it.

Quick Reply: Front susp?? Mine sucks