Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! flashers and badlands module

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:09 PM
buellrider76
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help! flashers and badlands module

So i wired taillights into my saddlebags and am having an issue. I have the badlands run/brake/turn module with LED bulbs, as suggested by manufacturer, but something isnt right. Run works. Brake works. Problem is blinkers both flash when either right or left is selected. Even if the right taillight is disconnected the left will still pulse weakly when the right blinker is activated. Both sides do this. The voltages out to the run light is 2.6 vdc. When the blinker is activated the voltage jumps to 10.6 vdc. The opposite side goes to 2.8 vdc. Only 0.2 vdc but enough to make my LED bulb on the opposite side blink weakly. Dunno what to do and the tech guy at badlands new place won't help at all as soon as I say I modified the bike. Just keeps saying, " not possible you must have wired something wrong". Half tempted to buy another module and return this one just so I can verify this one's bad. Any suggestions?

Old 04-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like you have a short or you have cross wired something. If you have a manual, check the electrical diagram to make sure the right wires are connected to the right wire on the lights.

You may want to list your bike model and year. Some-one may have the correct wiring diagram to connect the dots.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:58 PM
Peter Black
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by buellrider76
So i wired taillights into my saddlebags and am having an issue. I have the badlands run/brake/turn module with LED bulbs, as suggested by manufacturer, but something isnt right. Run works. Brake works. Problem is blinkers both flash when either right or left is selected. Even if the right taillight is disconnected the left will still pulse weakly when the right blinker is activated. Both sides do this. The voltages out to the run light is 2.6 vdc. When the blinker is activated the voltage jumps to 10.6 vdc. The opposite side goes to 2.8 vdc. Only 0.2 vdc but enough to make my LED bulb on the opposite side blink weakly. Dunno what to do and the tech guy at badlands new place won't help at all as soon as I say I modified the bike. Just keeps saying, " not possible you must have wired something wrong". Half tempted to buy another module and return this one just so I can verify this one's bad. Any suggestions?
Help me help you what year is the bike and what badlands module is it
i just installed led turn signals and Badlands - ILL01A Run, Brake & Turn Signal Module. on my 07 street bob and the thing is working flawless.
are you sure you don't have a pinched wire?
did you reconnect the battery before you plugged the module into the harness?

Old 04-24-2014, 05:06 AM
buellrider76
Tourer

Its an 08 streetbob. I didn't have the battery disconnected because I've had to test each wire as I go. I have the wiring diagrams for my model year. Wouldn't have been able to do anything without that. I built a whole new wiring loom from the plug under the seat back to the lights. I'm a Navy electronics technician and was able to build it at work. Had a few other guys check my work just to back me up so I'm pretty confident in my wiring. The thing that I really don't get is I can disconnect the right taillight at the plug under the seat so that whole section is out of the equation, press the right flasher (nothing should happen) and the left taillight blinks. Not super bright but enough to be seen by a car behind me. At this point there is nothing inline but that module. Color me confused and frustrated.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:07 AM
buellrider76
Tourer

Peter Black, same module you got.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:10 AM
buellrider76
Tourer

Here is the wiring diagram as I currently have it wired.

Attached Thumbnails Help! flashers and badlands module-wp_20140424_05_39_19_pro.jpg  
Old 04-24-2014, 10:30 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

When you said "wire taillight into saddle bags" What did you do exactly? Bet something is wrong there.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Peter Black
Road Captain

I would start with testing the module with the stock wiring in place to see if it's defective. Then check the pin outs on your after market stuff.

I looked over your diagram and it dosn't make sence when I compared it to the wiring diagrams in my service Manuel. are you bypassing the small rear lighting harness (connectors 7B and 94B) with your own harness? I plugged my module between connector 7A (main harness connector not pictured) and 7B rear lighting harness.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Peter Black; 04-24-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:04 PM
buellrider76
Tourer

Here is the way I have the taillights on my bike and also the wiring diagram with harley colors. I have LED strips inside that bags for night lighting and the license plate is lit. I took the LED bulbs out of the blinkers and put regular bulbs but it still does the same thing. I also disconnected and reconnected the battery...

Attached Thumbnails Help! flashers and badlands module-wp_20140421_19_47_23_pro.jpg   Help! flashers and badlands module-wp_20140424_18_50_34_pro.jpg  
Old 04-24-2014, 08:38 PM
Peter Black
Road Captain

Disconnect your custom harness from the badlands unit and hook up the circuit board that was behind the stock tail light you had before you shaved the fender after you confirm that the badlands unit is working use a multimeter to trace the sockets on the board to the corusponding pins on rear lighting harness 7B

It looks like you don't have pin 2 on the badlands connected anything

Last edited by Peter Black; 04-24-2014 at 10:19 PM.