Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brake Reservoir Leak Fix???

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 05:53 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Front Brake Reservoir Leak Fix???

Hello, first off I did search and googled the issue but it seems to get all kinds of solutions to this problem. I noticed the other day while out riding the front reservoir on my 14 Street Bob has started leaking around the seal. It seems to be getting worse to the point I am having to wipe it off with a rag after riding (usually one small drop on the outside of the gasket). I checked with my local dealer about a quick fix when I was there the other day but (of course) was told I would need to leave the bike with them so they could diagnose the problem. I will not leave the bike with them and would prefer them not even touching the bike due to multiple goofs on previous bikes in the past. Has anyone come up with a fix for this issue?

Thanks very much!

Old 06-16-2014, 06:10 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Those caps seem to warp real easy if over-tightened. I'd try a new cap and gasket-and don't crank it down too hard,just snug.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:14 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

mine was leaking after 4000 miles dealer replaced it under warranty with new seal and cover told me it was over tightened funny never had touched it I told him. went another 3200 miles same problem drove back to dealer they would not fix. took it apart at home found that the brake fluid had etched the painted edges on cover causing it to follow the etching and leak.bought a chrome cover and washed out the rubber bellows seal with brake cleaner and have gone now 10,000 miles with no issues.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:07 PM
BMyers
Road Master
Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Mine started leaking at 4500 miles. Bought a new cover and washed all surfaces with denatured alcohol. Barely tightened the screws. No trouble since * knock wood*

Old 06-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Andjh123
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has been weeping fluid for 40k miles now, would be curious to hear any suggestions in addition to those already mentioned.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:38 PM
fatrobbert
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My previous two bikes have done the same thing (softail and electra glide).

After I washed my Fat Bob this weekend I found that the paint on the cover is starting to peel. So it will be leaking very soon. I don't know why the painted factory covers do this. The last two were fixed with the chrome cover and a new gasket, didn't have any problems with those. But I don't think I want a chrome cover on this bike. So I also am looking for another permanent fix. I don't want to be replacing it every 10,000 miles or less.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:54 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by target64
mine was leaking after 4000 miles dealer replaced it under warranty with new seal and cover told me it was over tightened funny never had touched it I told him. went another 3200 miles same problem drove back to dealer they would not fix. took it apart at home found that the brake fluid had etched the painted edges on cover causing it to follow the etching and leak.bought a chrome cover and washed out the rubber bellows seal with brake cleaner and have gone now 10,000 miles with no issues.
Chrome cover works every time! I got one from ebay.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:23 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the info. I am going to try taking my cover and gasket off, cleaning them and re installing but not so tight. The gasket is bulged out on the right side of the reservoir but that is how it came from the factory.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:59 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

I removed the cap today and cleaned the gasket and contact services with alcohol. I reinstalled and snugged up the screws (they were very tight from the factory).

I did forget to look when I removed the cap. One side is thick and the other is thin. Which way does it install?? Always something!

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-17-2014, 04:09 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,633 Likes on 781 Posts

Contact Sharkman from the forum. he has the correct fix.

Quick Reply: Front Brake Reservoir Leak Fix???