Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky Primary Case?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 03:07 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Leaky Primary Case?

Just got home from work, when I was pulling up to my parking area in the driveway I noticed some spots on the ground. After I parked got down and looked underneath and saw a drip of oil coming off the drain plug for the primary. Grabbed a socket to make sure the drain plug was on snug, felt snug and didnt see any more oil dripping off.

Then I noticed my kickstand, oil all over it. Looked underneath again where the kickstand rests when its up and looks like there is oil residue all over the bottom of the primary case.

So I am thinking primary case gasket is bad. Havent checked all the bolts around the primary case to see if they are all tight, but that will be the next step.

Anyone else have a primary case gasket go bad on them? Or experienced the same issue im having?

Thanks for your inputs.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:28 PM
jcrumpley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd check the oring on the plug first.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:19 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Originally Posted by jcrumpley
I'd check the oring on the plug first.
Thanks, I will give that a try first before moving onto anything more drastic.

I went for a run and when I got back I checked underneath again and no signs of more oil leaking out. Looks like another symptom is that oil is only coming out when the bike is running.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:28 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

4 places they leak from
1: shifter shaft seal (check behind the inner towards the front middle)
2: derby cover gasket (easy to check)
3: drain plug ($1 o ring replacement)
4: main seal (if you look under the bike and see that fluid build up is on your front pulley... that is a pretty good indicator... if this is gone it usually means your main gear bearing is shot, very common on 6 speed trans)

for your gasket to just go bad on your primary almost NEVER happens, unless you loosened it for some reason and then re used the same gasket, they are metal paper so they do not fail

Old 07-25-2014, 04:29 PM
JRK5892
Banned

forgot 2!!! inner primary bearing seal and the o ring on the starter, that is why i replace everything when i am in there to many what if's

Old 07-25-2014, 04:34 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Originally Posted by JRK5892
4 places they leak from
1: shifter shaft seal (check behind the inner towards the front middle)
2: derby cover gasket (easy to check)
3: drain plug ($1 o ring replacement)
4: main seal (if you look under the bike and see that fluid build up is on your front pulley... that is a pretty good indicator... if this is gone it usually means your main gear bearing is shot, very common on 6 speed trans)

for your gasket to just go bad on your primary almost NEVER happens, unless you loosened it for some reason and then re used the same gasket, they are metal paper so they do not fail
Thank for the tips Joe! Definitely not the derby cover; possibly the o-ring on the drain plug. Its seems that the majority of the oil build up on the primary case is located towards the rear of the case underneath. The front half the primary case underneath is clean.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:40 PM
JRK5892
Banned

so that leaves you 3 if there is any on the back of the inner primary it is not the drain plug, rarely is... that leave you the o ring for the starter (pretty rare as well), deal for the inner primary bearing, and the main seal... hope it is not the main, i am doing that now and it is pretty involved

Old 07-25-2014, 05:07 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Originally Posted by JRK5892
so that leaves you 3 if there is any on the back of the inner primary it is not the drain plug, rarely is... that leave you the o ring for the starter (pretty rare as well), deal for the inner primary bearing, and the main seal... hope it is not the main, i am doing that now and it is pretty involved
Do you mean the back as in the rear, or as in the side facing towards the bike? Your scaring me bro! I hope its just the drain plug; I do not have the skills or tools to tear into a big job.

I am heading out in a little bit to clean up the spots on the driveway, I will see if I can take some pics and post them.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:10 PM
JRK5892
Banned

back meaning the back side of the inner primary (towards the middle of the bike) and back part of the primary meaning towards the back tire

Old 07-25-2014, 05:49 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Alright Joe, I think I have bad news. There is no oil around the drain plug, but there is oil gathering up around the block that the drain plug mounts into. It looks like the oil is coming out of the backside of the primary above the drain plug and is making its way down.

I took some pics but can get my damn phone to connect to the computer....

Quick Reply: Leaky Primary Case?