Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

2001 Heritage security system issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 03:59 PM
gwharley
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Heritage security system issue

I stopped at a restaurant and when I went to start bike, security system came on when I turned on the ignition. When I pressed the start button only sound was clicking. Turned off ignition and turned back on, same thing, security key came on even though I did not arm system. Previously when I turned on ignition the turn signal indicators flashed 3 times as when you arm with the FOB, but the bike started. This is similar to a problem I had when the bike was new. It turned out to b a loose ground. I checked the battery, it read 12.8v. Checked battery connections nothing loose. If I arm the security system with the FOB it seems to arm and disarm correctly. Could this be the starter relay, or is the security system preventing the bike from starting? Thanks for any help.
GW

Old 10-26-2015, 07:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Don't be fooled by that red key light! The battery clicking suggests your starter solenoid is not getting enough power to hold it in and allow the starter to operate. It may be your battery is down on power, or that you have loose or dirty electrical contacts. Check your grounds, as you did last time. Also check your battery by getting it load tested at a local auto parts store - the fact that it gives a decent looking voltage doesn't mean it is in good condition, or that it can provide enough power when you press the starter button.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:08 AM
gwharley
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I plan to have the battery checked. When I turn on the ignition the turn signals now flashes six times and the speedometer clicks to about five then below zero and then back to zero. Also as soon as I turn the ignition switch on and then back off my battery tender shwos charging for a while.