Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

A little wiring help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 11:00 AM
user 9370
Banned
Received 834 Likes on 270 Posts
Default A little wiring help please

I'm attempting to add a siren to the security system on my '15 Dyna. I know I could spend the $$$$ and just buy the HD unit but I found this (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-2011-rgc.html) topic and thought I'd give it a try.

The instructions state to connect the red wire from the siren to the brown wire from the plug and the black siren wire to the green plug wire. My problem is, the plug I have has a red wire, a white with grn stripe and a black. The electrical schematic shows the white/grn stripe to the OEM siren and the black is ground. I tried that (red to white/grn and black to black.) That didn't work although the siren made a faint "buzz" when the battery was reconnected. I didn't try anything beyond that (afraid to fry the harness) and could use some expert advise.

Thanks,

Ray

Old 08-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Black is not necessarily ground, in this case ground is most likely reached via the security module that the siren is attached to as it can still be able to sound if the power was cut. I would go red to red then black to wht/grn.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:39 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 861 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray-CA
I'm attempting to add a siren to the security system on my '15 Dyna. I know I could spend the $$$$ and just buy the HD unit but I found this (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-2011-rgc.html) topic and thought I'd give it a try.

The instructions state to connect the red wire from the siren to the brown wire from the plug and the black siren wire to the green plug wire. My problem is, the plug I have has a red wire, a white with grn stripe and a black. The electrical schematic shows the white/grn stripe to the OEM siren and the black is ground. I tried that (red to white/grn and black to black.) That didn't work although the siren made a faint "buzz" when the battery was reconnected. I didn't try anything beyond that (afraid to fry the harness) and could use some expert advise.

Thanks,

Ray
Ray,
did you ever get a solution to this? I am trying to wire up a siren to my 2019 Sport Glide. Electrical schematic seems identical to your Dyna...GRN/WHT for Siren Signal, BLK for Ground, RED for Battery Power. Also, my installation went the same as yours...momentary faint buzz when I plugged my main fuse back in.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:31 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

If anyone else stumbles upon this same situation, the wiring for the security siren connector using the RED/ORG, GRN/WHT, and BLK wires is as follows...

Basically...Siren (+) to RED/ORG, then Siren (-) to GRN/WHT.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:46 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Funny, I said exactly that in post #2.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:58 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
Funny, I said exactly that in post #2.
I just wanted to put some verified results down on the board.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:21 PM
CAJ411
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That was a great post for older bikes, bu

Old 12-11-2019, 01:11 PM
jimsreddyna
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I have been reading and searching my 2019 Sport Glide for the alarm siren connector plug and I am dumbfounded!
Does anyone have pictures, a road map or a tip as to it's location on the Sport Glide?

Old 12-11-2019, 01:36 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jimsreddyna
I have been reading and searching my 2019 Sport Glide for the alarm siren connector plug and I am dumbfounded!
Does anyone have pictures, a road map or a tip as to it's location on the Sport Glide?
I don't have any pictures, but it is a pain to get to. You have to remove your battery to get to it. Between your battery tray and the rear wheel is the BCM (Body Control Module). Its nested under that black plastic rear fender mud-flap kinda thing. The pigtail for the alarm siren is connected to the BCM.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:52 AM
jimsreddyna
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I saw a u tube video were the guy recommended taking the rear fender off to get access to it.

Quick Reply: A little wiring help please