Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

building an 88b twin cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 07:42 PM
nate_dawgg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building an 88b twin cam

I am currently in the process of tearing my 88" twin cam powered 2004 Fatboy apart and looking to spend some bucks upgrading her power plant over this Michigan winter ahead. Looking for some advice. I currently have added supertrapp mean mother's II staggered drag pipes on her and the screaming eagle pro tuner and it has been mapped and runs great. Although i am nearing 40k on the bike I'm really nearing the time for cam tensioner replacement and I've decided to go wiwits gear drive setup. Just not sure which one? I'm aware with the stock valves and springs I can only achieve .511" of lift and this displeased me. So I found a local guy that will port the heads and jazz them up. Now the question comes down to will I be able to get away with just a head job and bigger cams with gear drives or will I have to add compression also? I'm switching to a power commander and I will have access to a dyno to 're tune the efi. What else would I have to do to make this thing wake up? If I'm doing all that to the top end should I big bore it also? I really don't want to do a big bore if I don't have to. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks. -nathan

Old 11-05-2014, 07:50 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

The guy porting your heads should also be matching that to a set of cams. Plenty of builders here should chime in.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:42 PM
nate_dawgg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by soft 02
The guy porting your heads should also be matching that to a set of cams. Plenty of builders here should chime in.
Yeah i was thinking the .583 ss gear drive kit. My biggest question is will I be able to flow enough air with my stock lower end or would it be wise to change the cylinders and pistons to up my compression. Or maybe just put in high compression pistons ? That's where I get hung up. I already have heavy duty clutch and primary.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Nathan, I agree with Soft, that your heads man should be able to recommend a 'package' of cams with pistons plus ported heads which will all work together. There are very experienced engine builders in here who could have done all that for you and they may chip in with advice. IMHO it is worth considering using S&S easy start cams, especially if you raise CR in any way. The only one who can say if your heads will flow enough for those 583 cams is your heads man! I have a 585 in my 107" Evo and a 583 sounds a bit ambitious.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:30 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by nate_dawgg
I am currently in the process of tearing my 88" twin cam powered 2004 Fatboy apart and looking to spend some bucks upgrading her power plant over this Michigan winter ahead. Looking for some advice. I currently have added supertrapp mean mother's II staggered drag pipes on her and the screaming eagle pro tuner and it has been mapped and runs great. Although i am nearing 40k on the bike I'm really nearing the time for cam tensioner replacement and I've decided to go wiwits gear drive setup. Just not sure which one? I'm aware with the stock valves and springs I can only achieve .511" of lift and this displeased me. So I found a local guy that will port the heads and jazz them up. Now the question comes down to will I be able to get away with just a head job and bigger cams with gear drives or will I have to add compression also? I'm switching to a power commander and I will have access to a dyno to 're tune the efi. What else would I have to do to make this thing wake up? If I'm doing all that to the top end should I big bore it also? I really don't want to do a big bore if I don't have to. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks. -nathan
An ago-old combo that works VERY well in many bikes, for many folks is this simple;
Bore to 98"
Andrews 37's (or now the 57's) 9.8-10.0 cr.
A set of our Stage I or Stage II Heads.
Big broad torque, cool running, and good fuel economy.
Just an example.....
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:42 AM
nate_dawgg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
An ago-old combo that works VERY well in many bikes, for many folks is this simple;
Bore to 98"
Andrews 37's (or now the 57's) 9.8-10.0 cr.
A set of our Stage I or Stage II Heads.
Big broad torque, cool running, and good fuel economy.
Just an example.....
Scott
What am I looking at as far cost on a set of stage ii heads?

Old 11-06-2014, 06:17 AM
nate_dawgg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grbrown
Nathan, I agree with Soft, that your heads man should be able to recommend a 'package' of cams with pistons plus ported heads which will all work together. There are very experienced engine builders in here who could have done all that for you and they may chip in with advice. IMHO it is worth considering using S&S easy start cams, especially if you raise CR in any way. The only one who can say if your heads will flow enough for those 583 cams is your heads man! I have a 585 in my 107" Evo and a 583 sounds a bit ambitious.
I am feeling very ambitious haha. Michigan winters are longgggg and boringggg. Have to look forward to something.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:19 AM
nate_dawgg
Intermediate

Looks like I'll start with having the heads done and see what he recommends, what do y'all pay for a head job? Just curious. This guy says he can port them bench flow them and put my bike on a dyno for 650$

Old 11-06-2014, 07:06 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

If he is going to port/flow check and install those, plus tune it for that type of money............that is a deal God didn't give Noah.....
Scott