Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

2008 nightster wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 12:17 PM
bstephens8
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 nightster wont start

Hey every one could use some help on a starting issue on my 2008 nightster xl1200.

Went for a ride the other day and bike ran beautifully. I stopped to go to the store and when I came out to start my bike it wouldn't turn over all it would get is the click, click, clicking noise, i have heard on the forms that other riders have gotten this noise due to low battery or starter relays being blown. I tried jumping the bike and had no success so i grabbed the truck and towed it back to the shop were i work (which is primarily Euro cars). from there i hooked up and battery charger/jumper and sent 14 volts to the battery to see if a low battery was the issue and still got the dreaded click click click. so from there i then switched out the two relays that are in the fuse buss. I switched the one that engages the bend-ix coil in the starter with the one that runs the fuel pump to see if maybe the issue was in the relay but i still got the clicking noise and could still here the fuel pump clicking on. And i know this is probably stupid but i was running out of ideas so i went ahead and removed the starter to see how everything looked and to bench test the starter. the starter spun but wouldn't engage the bend-ix. Do these starter spin out or not?

Please help me with this issue!!! its my every day rider and i just received my new tracker biltwell inc. bars and harlot pad ready to install and go for a ride.

THX

Old 01-20-2015, 01:23 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Is the battery the original that came with the bike from the factory? Most factory batteries last about 6-7 years. If so, the battery is most likely completely gone and will not hold a charge or take a jump, so you'll need a new one. What about the cables are they clean and tight on both ends?

Old 01-20-2015, 01:56 PM
bstephens8
6th Gear

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Is the battery the original that came with the bike from the factory? Most factory batteries last about 6-7 years. If so, the battery is most likely completely gone and will not hold a charge or take a jump, so you'll need a new one. What about the cables are they clean and tight on both ends?
Thanks for the reply! yes i checked the battery its only about a year and a half old. bike was sitting at dealer for a while so maybe battery could of been over used from people looking at the bike and turning key on Etc... i have battery down at my local dealer they are going to load test the battery and let me know if that is the issue. but what troubles me is i hooked a batt charger to the bike and sent 14 volt threw out system and steal came up with the same issue. and yes i checked all connections they are secure and clean. i even checked the ground post wire to the block corrosion free.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:47 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member

Once/if a battery is completely discharged for what ever reason, it charging capability goes down hill fast after that.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:42 PM
bstephens8
6th Gear

Once/if a battery is completely discharged for what ever reason, it charging capability goes down hill fast after that.
Ya found out from the dealer that the batt is fine so im going to put everything back together and switch out relays. kinda stumped right now

Old 01-20-2015, 06:53 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member

Have fun. It's usually a good idea to go out and get a buzz cut so you don't pull it all out trying to figure what's wrong, LOL

Old 01-21-2015, 12:34 PM
bstephens8
6th Gear

Have fun. It's usually a good idea to go out and get a buzz cut so you don't pull it all out trying to figure what's wrong, LOL
Already am. I stuck a bore scope in the back cylinder and found the spark to be heavily fouled and a bolt stuck between piston and valve head. not happy as i have only put about 100 miles on the bike since purchasing form the dealer a little over a month ago. in contact with them now going to see if they are going to fix this issue because obviously some one in there service department dosnt know what there doing

Old 01-21-2015, 02:00 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,808 Likes on 3,313 Posts
Default Warranty?

So then the starting system is good and the motor is locked up due a bolt in the cylinder. I don't think I would tell them that I found a bolt in there. Call or visit and them and spread the bull, "I thought I had a starter problem but the motor won't turn over at all and there's only 100 miles since purchase. Isn't this under some kind off warranty?

Old 08-23-2015, 09:00 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bstephens8
Hey every one could use some help on a starting issue on my 2008 nightster xl1200.

Went for a ride the other day and bike ran beautifully. I stopped to go to the store and when I came out to start my bike it wouldn't turn over all it would get is the click, click, clicking noise, i have heard on the forms that other riders have gotten this noise due to low battery or starter relays being blown. I tried jumping the bike and had no success so i grabbed the truck and towed it back to the shop were i work (which is primarily Euro cars). from there i hooked up and battery charger/jumper and sent 14 volts to the battery to see if a low battery was the issue and still got the dreaded click click click. so from there i then switched out the two relays that are in the fuse buss. I switched the one that engages the bend-ix coil in the starter with the one that runs the fuel pump to see if maybe the issue was in the relay but i still got the clicking noise and could still here the fuel pump clicking on. And i know this is probably stupid but i was running out of ideas so i went ahead and removed the starter to see how everything looked and to bench test the starter. the starter spun but wouldn't engage the bend-ix. Do these starter spin out or not?

Please help me with this issue!!! its my every day rider and i just received my new tracker biltwell inc. bars and harlot pad ready to install and go for a ride.

THX
A battery can sulfate and cause an internal short. When this happens, simply jumping will heat the innards of the batt. and it still won't crank. You must remove that battery and put in a fresh one, then try starting it. Don't throw away those relays until you are sure of the problem. I hate throwing away good parts

Old 08-23-2015, 09:16 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bstephens8

THX
A battery can sulfate and cause an internal short. When this happens, simply jumping will heat the innards of the batt. and it still won't crank. You must remove that battery and put in a fresh one, then try starting it. Don't throw away those relays until you are sure of the problem. I hate throwing away good parts