Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Feuling Pump / Cam Plate

Old 03-29-2016, 03:47 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Feuling Pump / Cam Plate

Full boat 117 Build 0 mi.. Very Competent HD Tech doing Final Assembly - no issues there;

NIB fueling plate & pump# 7071 purchased from a fueling dealer (Indy).

Subpar quality control; the only moving part, the Pressure Relief Valve in the Cam Plate was defective, oil pressure low / fluctuating...fueling sells their own Camplate PSI Test Tool, maybe they didn't think to use their tool on their product

Idiotic tech support; The following are direct telephone instructions from fueling Idiotic tech support... Realize that R&Ring the FootBoard Exhaust, Cam Cover and Test Rides are involved in trying the fueling BS.

Instead of getting credit card info and overnighting a new Cam Plate (as was originally proposed), fueling Idiotic tech support gets the idea to try a few things, 1) "remove cam plate and inspect Pressure Relief Valve, while you're in there stretch the Spring a little" Tech found a clump of Loctite? or some similar substance, stretched the spring, reinstall Cam Plate, pressure still low / fluctuating while riding the bike...2) f-I-t-s; "Remove the Cam Plate, I will overnight a new spring, while you're at it, rig up a manual gauge to validate the one in the fairing", installed overnighted Spring, oil pressure still low / fluctuating, both gauges reading identical. 3) I got on the phone with the dealer (A very reputable Indy) I bought the kit from, told him what we were going through with the Idiots, and told him "Get me a new friggin' Cam Plate!), the dealer finally got the Idiots to overnight a new kit (on his dime), the new Cam Plate got the Oil Pressure within the proper ranges.

Extremely Poor customer service attitude; I incurred $670. in Extra Labor, going into the Cam Chest 3 EXTRA TIMES, in "trying this, trying that under fueling's direct instructions, when the new kit immediately cured the issues... When I called fueling, and asked about a refund of at least some of the labor. They were only too happy to tell me; "Note that we have a disclaimer on our website, we don't cover any labor" Click!...

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have much to say, but when the vendor gives direct instructions to "try this, try that" & this & that doesn't work the 1st time and Feuling has absolutely no regard for spending my Labor $$$ that's when I wont get fooled again... BTW over a year later fooling still has not reimbursed the Indy for the overnight fees...

I was a Tech (we used to call ourselves Mechanics lol) 'have worked hand in hand with OE Manufacturers on Engine Development Programs, and have seen faulty components out of the box, it's gonna' happen, no one is immune... But it's how the Manufacturer / Vendor addresses those issues is what influences my future (purchasing) decisions...

FWIW; After we got the fueling stuff operating to their parameters on the 117 SERG. I had a Cam Chest refurb (no failure, no sumping) done in the 103 SEEG with All Harley OE Components, Under all operating conditions (cold start / idle, cruising, heat soaked idle, etc...) the Oil Pressure Gauges read identical!! Recently had a face to face conversation about this with one of the Most Noted HD Builders (Indys) in the U.S. (remember The MoCo is making it more difficult for Indys to source HD Parts these days)
"I've quit using that aftermarket stuff a long time ago, the OE Pump & Plate works as well as anything"

Has anyone noticed that a couple years back fueling was the "flavor of the day" for Oil Pumps / Cam Plates, I don't see the Indys spec'ing them much anymore...

Last edited by FlaHeatWave; 03-29-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:12 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

I have no problems with my Feuling Camplate (#8000) and Feuling Oilpump (#7050) on a 124" build.

The installation was installed by a S&S Cycle Certified Pro-Tune center.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:33 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

The OE pump has been used in thousands and thousands of builds in the past with no major problems. I can never understand why people absolutely think that they need to upgrade to an aftermarket assembly when they rebuild a motor. V-Twin motors are made to run on lower oil pressures than their Metric and European cousins. The old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" comes to mind.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:27 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

When was the last time you saw a OE pump & camplate in a 124" build?

Old 04-02-2016, 02:24 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
When was the last time you saw a OE pump & camplate in a 124" build?
You can ask that same question to any of the qualified/certified engine builders on here about it. They're better qualified to give you a more detailed answer than I can.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:17 AM
hetkehog
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

well first off. I feel a lot of aftermarket parts are very good. BUT....... customer service is key in my book. I feel that's half of the parts you are buying. Im a avid snowmobiler and have "projects" with them also. One is a very good company, good product but customer service SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! Never buy there again. My point is, I haven't ran into a problem with Harleys............yet, but it is always good to know whos good and whos not. was actually thinking of buying the fueling cam plate and pump to upgrade my 2002. wont be them now thank you flaheatwave

Old 04-02-2016, 11:29 AM
hetkehog
Cruiser

And OldEnuf2NoBetter, WTF is your deal? ive been on this site for a short time and seen some of your postings. Is that all you do is complain and pick apart what everyone has posted. im getting the impression that you wake up in the morning, look in the mirror, and say F U

Old 04-02-2016, 11:39 AM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hetkehog
And OldEnuf2NoBetter, WTF is your deal? ive been on this site for a short time and seen some of your postings. Is that all you do is complain and pick apart what everyone has posted. im getting the impression that you wake up in the morning, look in the mirror, and say F U
Now that I am "old enough to know better" I totally agree with him in this Thread...

'Will post in more detail later, it's 70 degrees and sunny out and I got some barbecue waiting on me up the road...

Last edited by FlaHeatWave; 04-02-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:42 AM
hetkehog
Cruiser

70 and sunny I so cant wait

Old 04-05-2016, 01:05 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
The OE pump has been used in thousands and thousands of builds in the past with no major problems. I can never understand why people absolutely think that they need to upgrade to an aftermarket assembly when they rebuild a motor. V-Twin motors are made to run on lower oil pressures than their Metric and European cousins. The old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" comes to mind.

I guess that I'm the only one to ever feed into the internet hype / BS / marketing of (some of) the HD Aftermarket?? LMAO~at self!

Some quotes from fooling's website;

"eliminating wet sumping and oily air cleaners.",

"resulting in a quieter more powerful engine",

"Test results show a decrease of engine temperatures by as much as 35 degrees",

"Results also show an increase of 3 H.P. and 4 Ft. Lbs of T.Q to the rear wheel"...

I also figured that since fooling touts the parts as being billet, well billet has to be better... right??

Well I can now (after my expensive education) tell you, the OE Pumps / Plates are not as substandard / or problematic as the above claims would lead one to believe... and that fooling's advertising claims are misleading at best, in some cases, outright fabrication...

"The old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" comes to mind"

Yea, I know... I won't get "fooled" again...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Feuling Pump / Cam Plate