Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Hydraulic Tensioner Upgrade Still The Way To Go?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 05:38 PM
JonnyBlaze
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hydraulic Tensioner Upgrade Still The Way To Go?

I just picked up a real nice 2003 Electra Glide EFI with 21k miles. Ive read up on the cam tensioner problems on these TC88 engines but havent seen anything recent.

So I was wondering if the hydraulic tensioner upgrade is still the right way to go or are there now better options?

The bike runs great and motor doesnt make any strange noises. Has Rinehart True Dual exhaust and K&N filter. Otherwise stock.

Thanks.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:26 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I have an ‘03 FLHTCUI that I bought in 2011 with 2,090 miles. It had a Stage One with a dealer flash.

At 30k I developed a bottom gasket leak. When I had that fixed, I had Sauk Prairie HD install the SE Cam Chain tensioner and oil pump upgrade. Because they had to take the rocker boxes off anyway they were able to reuse my stock pushrods. While they were in there they replaced the inner Cam bearings with Torrington’s.

Bike runs great, have 43k now.

Last edited by Ron750; 10-31-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:30 PM
JonnyBlaze
Advanced

Who has the best prices on the SE Tensioner kit? Is that better than the gear drive?

When I get it done, should I get upgraded cams at the same time?

Old 10-31-2017, 08:53 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyBlaze
Who has the best prices on the SE Tensioner kit? Is that better than the gear drive?

When I get it done, should I get upgraded cams at the same time?
If you are going to upgrade cams, that would be the time to do it. No extra labor. I was happy with my performance, so I kept the stock cams.

There are many threads on here about gear versus hydraulic upgrade. And about different cams. I wouldn't change cams without riding your bike a few thousand miles first. I went with what the dealer recommended. I don't know much about gear drives.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:55 PM
JonnyBlaze
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ron750
If you are going to upgrade cams, that would be the time to do it. No extra labor. I was happy with my performance, so I kept the stock cams.

There are many threads on here about gear versus hydraulic upgrade. And about different cams. I wouldn't change cams without riding your bike a few thousand miles first. I went with what the dealer recommended. I don't know much about gear drives.
I really dont need cams but figured since I was going to be in there might as well instead of doing it twice?

Old 10-31-2017, 09:04 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

If it was me, I would install an Andrews 21 or 26 Gear Drive. Keep it 88 CI, don't do the big bore. That's all you need.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:41 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

JMHO but since you just purchased the bike with only 21K miles now would be a good time to replace/upgrade the tensioners, install a set of bolt in cams and replace/upgrade the inner cam bearings. There are several options you might consider:

1. Check crank run out and if less than .003", install a set of S&S 509 gear drive cams, retain the OEM cam plate and pump if both are in good condition and replace the inner cam bearings with a set of Torrington/Nachi B148s. American Classic Motors offers the 509 cams, complete gear drive setup, inner and outer cam bearings and cam cover gasket for $595 with free shipping. Add the Baisley pressure relief valve spring for about $12.

2. Replace the OEM tensioners with the CYCO tensioners, retain the OEM cam plate, replace inner and outer cam bearings, install the Baisley spring and the 509 cams. Cost would be about $330 for all (except CYCO tensioners) from Revzilla. CYCO tensioners selling on EBay for half the cost of the OEM replacements.

3. Replace the OEM cam plate with the SE Hybrid kit (PN 25284-11)which retains the OEM inner chain but includes billet cam plate and hi-capacity oil pump. Cam plate, oil pump, new outer roller chain and hydraulic tensioner, inner hydraulic tensioner on the OEM link chain runs about $430 from an online discount dealer, plus shipping. The cam set is going to run about $300.

Note I have not mentioned lifters or pushrods. If you pull the push rods from the top, you can reuse them; if you go the adjustable route, throw in another $150 for a set of SE Quick Install Tapered adjustable push rods (PN 18404-08). With only 21K miles on a set of the OEM "B" lifters, you can reuse them as well. However, if you choose to replace them, throw in another $125.

So, as you can see, it's a matter of how much you want to spend since all of the above will produce the same performance results. JHMO, which isn't worth much, but #2, plus the addition of a fuel management system and a dyno tune would be my choice.

The following 2 users liked this post by djl:
Beaux (11-01-2017), Gordo-uk (11-09-2023)
Old 11-01-2017, 11:13 AM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
JMHO but since you just purchased the bike with only 21K miles now would be a good time to replace/upgrade the tensioners, install a set of bolt in cams and replace/upgrade the inner cam bearings. There are several options you might consider:

1. Check crank run out and if less than .003", install a set of S&S 509 gear drive cams, retain the OEM cam plate and pump if both are in good condition and replace the inner cam bearings with a set of Torrington/Nachi B148s. American Classic Motors offers the 509 cams, complete gear drive setup, inner and outer cam bearings and cam cover gasket for $595 with free shipping. Add the Baisley pressure relief valve spring for about $12.

2. Replace the OEM tensioners with the CYCO tensioners, retain the OEM cam plate, replace inner and outer cam bearings, install the Baisley spring and the 509 cams. Cost would be about $330 for all (except CYCO tensioners) from Revzilla. CYCO tensioners selling on EBay for half the cost of the OEM replacements.

3. Replace the OEM cam plate with the SE Hybrid kit (PN 25284-11)which retains the OEM inner chain but includes billet cam plate and hi-capacity oil pump. Cam plate, oil pump, new outer roller chain and hydraulic tensioner, inner hydraulic tensioner on the OEM link chain runs about $430 from an online discount dealer, plus shipping. The cam set is going to run about $300.

Note I have not mentioned lifters or pushrods. If you pull the push rods from the top, you can reuse them; if you go the adjustable route, throw in another $150 for a set of SE Quick Install Tapered adjustable push rods (PN 18404-08). With only 21K miles on a set of the OEM "B" lifters, you can reuse them as well. However, if you choose to replace them, throw in another $125.

So, as you can see, it's a matter of how much you want to spend since all of the above will produce the same performance results. JHMO, which isn't worth much, but #2, plus the addition of a fuel management system and a dyno tune would be my choice.
Frankly this should be a sticky with as many threads there are on the subject! Great rundown ......... thanks! Everyone I have considered and haven't decided. Any idea on the chances of the runout being .003 or less on a bike with 24K?

Last edited by Beaux; 11-01-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:22 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

There are lots of options/price points for this, as well stated by DJL.

Here's what i did on my '06.

Replaced cam support plate with '07 and up version, new '07 higher flow oil pump, and Andrews 21N cams. This method gets rid of both silent chains. I replaced inner cam bearings, and re-used the B lifters (13k on them) and kept stock pushrods. Also added rockouts and catch can.

Bike runs really well with 21 cams in it, runs cooler and smoother, mileage is about the same.

The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 11:58 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaux
Any idea on the chances of the runout being .003 or less on a bike with 24K?
If an early model, say prior to '04 chances are pretty good that run out will be less than .003" and later models still pretty good chance, just not at as good as with the early hot forged cranks. Having said that, it's not so much that the run out will not be greater than .003" as much as it is how long the crank will remain that way. One of my bikes is an '05 FXSTD and I built a mild 95" motor when the bike had less than 5K miles on it; crank run out was .0025" so I installed gear drive cams. 25K miles later, I decided I wanted a stronger 98" motor, a little more displacement, more cam, more heads and more throttle body. So, I was anticipating a basic top end rebuild but when I pulled the cam chest and checked crank run out, it had grown to .0045" with some light scoring in the cam plate and pump. My build cost just doubled.

The following users liked this post:
Beaux (11-02-2017)

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Tensioner Upgrade Still The Way To Go?