Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Broken Exhaust Stud

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 02:48 PM
sixfour
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broken Exhaust Stud

Ran into a bit of a setback hoping someone could give me some information or guidance on my issue...

Just recently removed my header on my 2017 Road Glide Ultra to install new header, got new header on bike and doing final torque on exhaust header studs. Exhaust stud snapped off and broke flush with the Jug..

Anyone have any experience with this happening, how to remove properly and safely? Bikes under warranty also with extended, does a guy try to take to dealer to try under warranty ? Fix personally? Any suggestions or help would be awesome! Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Broken Exhaust Stud-4c392273-8219-48fc-af5e-8987cf261ce5.jpg  
Old 01-03-2018, 03:10 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,493 Posts

That's a tough one but it happens too often. Looks like the rear cylinder which provides a bit more working room but most likely you will have to remove the head to remove the broken stud. Having said that you could try finding and "edge" in the broken stud that would allow you to try and use a chisel to catch the edge and tap on the broken stud to see if it is in so tight it won't back out any at all. I have done this successfully a couple of times but did have a bit of the broken stud exposed above the head surface. Sometimes, once loose, a broken stud can be backed out enough to Dremel a slot that will allow final removal with a screw driver. Or if you can back out enough to weld, maybe even JB weld, a nut on the broken stud and back it out that way.

There is a special jig for drilling broken exhaust studs out but having never had to use one, I don't know if the jig can be attached and used properly with the head mounted to the cylinder. If I were in your shoes, I would remove the head and take it to a machine shop and have a machinist remove the broken stud. Just need a new head gasket. If you decide to go that route, be careful removing the head and try not to disturb the cylinder to case joint where the o-ring sits. Get a couple of 1/2" PVC couplings and as soon as the head is off, use the couplings as spacers and secure the head at opposite corners with the head bolts.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:26 PM
sixfour
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
That's a tough one but it happens too often. Looks like the rear cylinder which provides a bit more working room but most likely you will have to remove the head to remove the broken stud. Having said that you could try finding and "edge" in the broken stud that would allow you to try and use a chisel to catch the edge and tap on the broken stud to see if it is in so tight it won't back out any at all. I have done this successfully a couple of times but did have a bit of the broken stud exposed above the head surface. Sometimes, once loose, a broken stud can be backed out enough to Dremel a slot that will allow final removal with a screw driver. Or if you can back out enough to weld, maybe even JB weld, a nut on the broken stud and back it out that way.

There is a special jig for drilling broken exhaust studs out but having never had to use one, I don't know if the jig can be attached and used properly with the head mounted to the cylinder. If I were in your shoes, I would remove the head and take it to a machine shop and have a machinist remove the broken stud. Just need a new head gasket. If you decide to go that route, be careful removing the head and try not to disturb the cylinder to case joint where the o-ring sits. Get a couple of 1/2" PVC couplings and as soon as the head is off, use the couplings as spacers and secure the head at opposite corners with the head bolts.
Thanks for the response DJ, thinking it’s gonna go into a shop. Cheers

Old 01-03-2018, 03:41 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

While it’s apart do a big bore kit and high flow heads, it’s just a little more money. Trust me, you’ll be glad you did.

The following users liked this post:
rnrobert (01-19-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 06:19 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

We are in constant repair of heads from individuals and shops, here.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:24 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,895 Likes on 2,551 Posts

That sucks, I would not attempt to do it myself, probably just make it worse. Bring it to a shop. I also agree that if I am taking a motor apart it is likely that stock parts are not going back in. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:52 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

DONT attempt to drill it out your self,if its under warrantee,put the stock ex system back on & say it happened by itself.but don't try to fix it without the proper machines & method.we get a lot of heads in here to repair ex studs after their all munged up by someone trying to get them out & basicly taking a fairly simple machine job & turning it into a big,fairly expensive mess

Old 01-05-2018, 07:27 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
DONT attempt to drill it out your self,if its under warrantee,put the stock ex system back on & say it happened by itself.but don't try to fix it without the proper machines & method.we get a lot of heads in here to repair ex studs after their all munged up by someone trying to get them out & basicly taking a fairly simple machine job & turning it into a big,fairly expensive mess
That's good advice from prodrag1320.

Snapped a rear stud a while back. Tried to fix it on the bike. The hardened drill bit (for an extractor) snapped off in the stud. There just wasn't much room to work on it. I wasn't able to do anything with it at that point.

I ended up taking it to a local MC performance and machine shop and they fixed and didn't charge much for the job (I was a customer). They did it without removing the head.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:08 AM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Received 407 Likes on 312 Posts

ok...so are the exhaust studs removable? my exhaust is presently off and the studs looks a little buggered so I would like to change them if possible.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:39 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by memphisharley
ok...so are the exhaust studs removable? my exhaust is presently off and the studs looks a little buggered so I would like to change them if possible.
Yes but maybe just running the proper size thread restorer, or dye, will "un bugger" the threads and removal is not necessary. If not, double nut the exposed threaded section and it should back right out. If you get some resistance, apply some penetrating oil and let it sit for a while before trying to back back it out. Use the same double nut technique to install the new studs.

Last edited by djl; 01-05-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Broken Exhaust Stud