Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Broken Rear Cam Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 04:09 PM
9miles
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Rear Cam Bolt

Has anyone had this happen on an 09 or newer 96 in with 255 cams

I purchased these cams from a forum member and installed them myself; I made a mistake when installing them; I reused the cam bolts instead of purchasing new ones. The motor ran great for about 10,000 miles. I started on a 5,000 mile trip and about 700 miles into the trip the motor started rattling; I pulled into the Harley Dealer for repairs and was told the bolt in the rear cam had come loose, $ 800.00 and I'm on my way again. " warranty void " Thats another story. I thought that was a lesson learned and moved on, but now 10 months later the bolt has come loose again. I removed the cam cover; the bolt was loose when I removed it, the bolt was almost broke into. any ideas on what is going on.

Thanks for any and all ideas. I may have overlooked something.

Attached Thumbnails Broken Rear Cam Bolt-cam-bolt-001.jpg   Broken Rear Cam Bolt-cam-bolt-002.jpg  
Old 03-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

Over toqued to start with? metal fatigue... Cam not trued properly? Did you torque then loosen then check the trueness of both gears with a straight edge? i had to buy a .010 over spacer to get it true? Did you use locktite?

Old 03-16-2011, 05:07 PM
9miles
Advanced

I used red locktite; oiled both surfaces of the washer and head of the bolt, torqed to 15 lbs; backed it out 360* then torqued to 34 lbs. the spacing is as good as you can get, both gears were alined with a straight edge; rotated and checked for alinement again. it all looks good there is no visible reason for this to happen.
I can understand me making a mistake I am not paid to do this type of work. I took this to the harley dealer and had my work redone while on a trip. The installation I performed lasted about 10,000 miles before it broke. The Harley dealers work lasted about the same amount of miles before it broke again. The only thing I can come up with is the dealer reused the same bolt again; I don't think they would do that for the money I paid to have the repairs done while on the road; but who knows what other people will do with your money?

I purchased a new cam bolt kit with washers and bolts; a new snap on torque wrench to make sure of my torque settings. The work is no big deal it only takes a few hours for this repair; If this happens agian I may not be so lucky the next time; so for no damage has been done, the gear has stayed in place.I have caught it before things went way wrong.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:18 PM
G5DRIVER
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm. Everyone re-uses the cam bolt and washers. That shouldn't be an issue.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:09 AM
9miles
Advanced

The local dealer told me the cam bolt and a few other bolts on the motor are one time use bolts because of the hardness and stretch of the bolt; I personally don't understand the load or forces placed on this bolt, it pulls the cam gear up tight against the cam and spacer. the front cam is held in place with a "C" clip. For $7.50 I will never take a chance on the old bolts again.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:29 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 9miles
The local dealer told me the cam bolt and a few other bolts on the motor are one time use bolts because of the hardness and stretch of the bolt; I personally don't understand the load or forces placed on this bolt, it pulls the cam gear up tight against the cam and spacer. the front cam is held in place with a "C" clip. For $7.50 I will never take a chance on the old bolts again.
That's what I thought. Bought new ones today. Anybody want to buy some used ones real cheap???

Old 04-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Joker65
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know I'm late to the party, but....

Last June, after rebuilding the top end only, I was on a trip home to see the family. The bike was running well, but there were some noises coming from the motor, but not too loud; just some lifter-type noises - or so I thought. At certain speeds, the bike seemed to be more quiet, but these were 'sleeper' cams and all seemed okay.

I rode about 3.5 hours at highway speeds, with some county blacktop roads mixed in. Nearing my destination, I slowed to a near stop at a red light, then a gentle roll-on to pull out into traffic. EVERYTHING siezed up!!! WTF!

The local Harley shop came and picked me up - called them 5 minutes before closing - and they opened up the primary the next day (Saturday). They said the problem was not there, but the primary oil was low and black as Hell, but the issue was interior. Said somethine else was siezed-up inside, so I should take it back to the builder.

Back at home, I tore down the entire top end, but couldn't find a thing wrong - a lot of work for no reason! I then removed the cam cover, and saw the rear cam bolt protruding about 1/4"... when I went to turn it, it was broken like yours in the picture. WTF???

The rear cam came loose and was pinned against the fly-wheel... and was the cause for siezing up the motor. Took it to the builder, who installed the cams, and he was as shocked as I was. He replaced the cams, and cam installation kit, with new bolts, etc, as long as I would do the labor. (It was more than a fair deal!) Bike is fine now, and everything went together smoothe as silk, thankfully!!

I was only out the hour of labor the HD Shop charged. (The pick-up/ride home after closing was Free!!)

Old 04-21-2012, 09:18 AM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I am finishing up a 96 to 103 conversion and I did cams, too. I purchased a kit from H-D that came with two new bolts/washers. I also purchased new sprockets and a new snap ring for the front cam. Followed the service manual regarding torque. The tool that locks the two sprockets together was invaluable!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:11 AM
Joker65
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harley_jeff
I am finishing up a 96 to 103 conversion and I did cams, too. I purchased a kit from H-D that came with two new bolts/washers. I also purchased new sprockets and a new snap ring for the front cam. Followed the service manual regarding torque. The tool that locks the two sprockets together was invaluable!