EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New CV Carb...wow!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:43 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New CV Carb...wow!

I bought a Killer MC Products CV carb from Dale Sanders on ebay and removed my Mikuni 42. After getting it dialed-in with Dale's help I'm totally happy with it's driveability and a little better mileage. It felt like a new bike, more torque and power. I noticed in 5th gear at 2K RPM it will accelerate from full twist without any problem and has that old Harley sound!
When a carb is dialed right your bike is a real pleasure to ride.
I couldn't believe the end-jetting, 52/200 main and w/adj needle 3 from top. Mix is 2 1/4 T, might even go another 1/4 with it. Idle is -800 and has a very nice Harley potato-potato.
Plugs are 4265 Autolite at 40 and show a real nice lite tan.
Starting is much better cold or hot.
I found out one thing...when a bike is jetted correctly it is MUCH quieter.
I went thru so many diff set-ups I thought my mufflers were burned out or the baffles blew out. Then when it got jetted right, it has a neat sound.
Both thumbs up for Dale!
My black-girl says..thank you.....finally after all these years!

Last edited by Holster Maker; 04-01-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:55 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 483 Likes on 278 Posts

Now you've started something!....why not mention how good mineral oil is compared to synthetic while you are at it? ;-)

Old 04-01-2011, 08:59 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Holster Maker
I bought a Killer MC Products CV carb from Dale Sanders on ebay and removed my Mikuni 42. After getting it dialed-in with Dale's help I'm totally happy with it's driveability and a little better mileage. It felt like a new bike, more torque and power. I noticed in 5th gear at 2K RPM it will accelerate from full twist without any problem and has that old Harley sound!
When a carb is dialed right your bike is a real pleasure to ride.
I couldn't believe the end-jetting, 52/200 main and w/adj needle 3 from top. Mix is 2 1/4 T, might even go another 1/4 with it. Idle is -800 and has a very nice Harley potato-potato.
Plugs are 4265 Autolite at 40 and show a real nice lite tan.
Starting is much better cold or hot.
I found out one thing...when a bike is jetted correctly it is MUCH quieter.
I went thru so many diff set-ups I thought my mufflers were burned out or the baffles blew out. Then when it got jetted right, it has a neat sound.
Both thumbs up for Dale!
My black-girl says..thank you.....finally after all these years!
I've often wandered how a brand new cv carb would be on my bike. This winter I installed an Ultima programable ignition and as well I had my carb soaking in kleen flo for a couple weeks and gave it a carb kit including accel pump. Now when I ride I find a noticeable dif in acelleration ( can't comment on fuel usage yet ). Now I wish I wouldn't have installed the ignition until after I tried the clean carb just to see how the cleaned up carb would act. I'm running with a 45 and 175 jet and andrews high flow accel. pump kit and runs very good.
When you say you got it dialed in with Dale's help, can I ask you how did he help? what instructions did he verbally give you? 52/200 are huge jets which I've often thought is only recommended for engines that could use that amount of fuel. Not sure what a s&s E has for jets but I'm sure it too is meant for fuel hungry engines.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:46 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,697 Likes on 858 Posts

Congrats on the new carb and the runability and happiness it brought, The jetting is a little strange as I know a 48 and 200 setup tuned with a Wego AFR reading system is good for 100 hp, should flood a 80". Once again, I'm in no way running down your purchase, he makes a living with carbs so must have some tricks of the trade or has his own jets. Have fun my friend.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,513 Likes on 5,464 Posts

Originally Posted by Holster Maker
I couldn't believe the end-jetting, 52/200 main and w/adj needle

The needle is what makes it possible to run such a huge jet..glad to hear you like it.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Now you've started something!....why not mention how good mineral oil is compared to synthetic while you are at it? ;-)
Actually I run mineral oil.....and deer whistles.
I also believe in some snake oils too...LOL....found some from the Amazon that is un-real!

Yeah I know, the jets are huge, but I believe with this 10% "corn gas" ALL jetting numbers have changed from pass practices.

40% of all US corn goes to OUR gas!

Last edited by Holster Maker; 04-01-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:13 PM
woodnbow
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats on the carb and 'new' running scooter...

RE: Ethanol burning food for fuel is possibly the dumbest idea the modern eco warriors have actually been able to foist on an unsuspecting public. Of course having the assistance of Archer Daniels Midland and Cargill, Inc. helps but Jeessus! How stupid can we be??

Sorry bout the hijack... I like CV carbs. Mikuni and Edelbrock and S&S all have lots of faults too and a well tuned CV will run with the best of them.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 483 Likes on 278 Posts

48-52 and 200 is a combo I see a lot in 1340's down here.

My CA spec Evo came with a 175 main....wouldn't rev past 4,000rpm! 185 improved it but wouldn't hit the rev limiter until I installed the 200.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Holster Maker
Tourer

That's correct, my Mik had 200 for a while and then went to 19-something.
I even believe this one could go more, but warm weather will do that, so I'll wait!

Lean is bad, richer seems to always show more on the dynos and a lot safer. I'm not saying too rich!
Thanks guys for the kudos of the carb.
What's really amazing is the sound and being quieter.

Concerning the question about how Dale helped. I would call him and we kept doing diff stuff until it was near perfect. I had a "CV Carb 101" class in the last 2 weeks with hands-on. I love knowing how my carb is made up and what things do.

Last edited by Holster Maker; 04-02-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:51 PM
frmdolin
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New CV Also

Congrats on the carb. I recently received my carb from Killer MC Products and was immediately concerned about the jetting sizes he installed. They both seemed a little large. My 1997 FLSTC has Screamin' Eagle heads, stock pistons, cam is Andrew EV27, and the 1999 EVO breathes with Vance and Hines Long Shots HS (Big City Thunder Baffles). Dale set up my carb based upon those specs. Will pull the SS Super E off this weekend and install the performance CV. Glad to hear that Dale is available for fine tuning.

Quick Reply: New CV Carb...wow!