Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Tricked or Treated-----

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 07:59 AM
67xlch
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tricked or Treated-----

Finished my 95in., 37Bcam build Sunday and after building oil pressure with the plugs removed, started the engine. Heard a lifter noise from the rear cylinder and shut it off after 15 sec. Had to go to dinner with wife and step son so no time to diagnose. Next day, checked the compression; had 160 on the rear cyl. and 120 on the front. Oil pressure 50+ at start up cold. started it and ran 30 sec. lifter noise left rear and moved to front cyl. Frustration began to set in. Checked the pushrod adjustment again making sure cams were on base circle; both cylinders. Decided to go for a test ride. Rode 3.5 miles, varying RPM and staying under 3000. Tried accelerating in 3rd gear and backing off to seat rings. As I accelerated and decellerated the lifter or valvetrain noise increased and when maintaining a steady, no load speed the noise quietened. Back to the drawing board! Checked the compression again: 120 psi on both cylinders with throtttle closed. 170 on rear cyl. and 158 on front with throttle open. Well that wasn't bad considering the rings probably weren't seated yet. Checked the pushrod adjustment again. That seemed alright. Started the MC again and isolated the valvetrain noise to the top of the front cylinder. I'll tell ya, after putting everything back together including the stock exhaust system I was hesitant to start disassembling it again. Lifted the gas tank (full) and blocked it up, removed the rocker cover and the goblin appeared! Hadn't torqued the rocker arm housing bolts. The two near the valves had backed out several threads and I assume that the only thing that held it together were the breather bolts as I think they go into the rocker support. removed the bolts and check the housing for cracks. Appeared ok so I reassembled and torqued and took about an 8 mile ride to continue the ring seating break-in procedure. Am happy so far with quite a bit more pep up to 3K rpm at half throttle in third and fourth gear. Oddly enough, today I will have had the bike 9 years as I took delivery on Halloween Day of 1998. Thanks for listening to my Halloween Tale. [/align]