Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

thundermaxx vs hd fuel remap

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:21 PM
508DieHard
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thundermaxx vs hd fuel remap

plan on adding a fatcat and se heavy breather to my bike.dealer told me that i would be fine with just a fuel remap but i thought the hd remap was only good for screaming eagle parts.indy told me they dont do remaps but recommended the thundermaxx since they dont have a dyno.I know the thundermaxx is the best option in the long run but would i be fine with a dealer remap

Old 04-27-2011, 10:22 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I am not certain as I've never had a hd remap ... but, you could think of it this way in general terms ... the SE Heavy Breather is a HD A/C intake system ... even though the Fat Cat is not Screamin Eagle, the whole idea behind a 'Stage I' is that the exhaust, and intake have been opened up allowing for greater air flow through the motor ... the remap is to allow a proportionate amount of additional fuel so as to approximate the same AFR (air to fuel ratio) ....

The thing with a ThunderMax with Auto Tune is that it can actually increase the amount of fuel (richen the fuel mixture) ... which will allow your bike to run slightly cooler and increase the torque/power the motor will produce ....

A couple of things to consider ... the 'HD remap' is from the manufacturer, who utilizes EPA standards in setting the default motor settings (will the 'remap' also sub-optimize performance in favor of emissions considerations?) ... the ThunderMax with Auto Tune (TMAT) will 'grow' with later changes ... thereby saving the prospective cost of further tuning (including use of a Dyno in tuning which will tend to increase the cost as well as improving the results ... for that specific parts combination) ....

The TMAT represents a higher up-front cost ... but, IMO is worth it ....

Good luck ....

R/
'Chop

Old 04-28-2011, 08:06 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Here's a link to another thread discussing the merits of the various fuel management systems ... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ml#post7606647

Old 04-30-2011, 07:28 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For what you are doing, the simple HD stage 1 download will be sufficient. Will it be "spot on" - no,, but you will not notice the difference. An exact tune would be better. I am not a fan of the T-Max as it still uses old, outdated Alpha N technology. You would be better off with a SEPT, T-Max, Direct Link, etc but a lot of people run the T-max with good success, just not a fan of it.

Anyway to answer your question, a Stage 1 download from the dealer will work.