General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Debate

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 07:00 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

This subject is not debatable in my house. If you ride a motorcycle, you wear a helmet..period. Ive gone on too many calls where the skin that was once your face and scalp become a bag to hold the pieces of your skull and brain tissue...........

Old 01-31-2016, 07:14 PM
ccislander
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 40 Posts

I can't understand why age is always a factor in this debate. Experience is a major factor in bike accidents, so why can't we compromise with a law that requires helmets for a provisional period, say 5 years, and after that, your choice. I'm all about personal freedom but that's a compromise I could live with.
And BTW, vizcarmb, It's about 'Freedom' - you know, like that thing that my father fought for in WWII and many here on this site have done since then - it's not about being 'anti-helmet'. And those short term stats from Michigan that you saw posted here mean nothing at this point. I'll just disregard your 'screw you' statement.

The following 2 users liked this post by ccislander:
tar_snake (12-04-2016), Thor (12-05-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 07:15 PM
Dave15
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Screw you anti helmet guys. Take a look at the stats when Michigan repealed their helmet law. Guess what, more people died. And those idiots that died didn't wear helmets. Go figure.

Or that stupid moron that went to an anti helmet rally but ended up dying because he didn't wear his helmet. Oh the irony. Srupid is, as stupid does.

There are better laws that can benefit riders like lane sharing in heavy traffic than the choice to wear a helmet
Well yes, but in America we have the right to choose to be stupid...stupid

too many laws, too many lawyers.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (12-04-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 07:21 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,552 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Screw you anti helmet guys. Oh the irony. Srupid is, as stupid does.
Had to laugh.

The following 2 users liked this post by TSheff:
tar_snake (12-04-2016), Thor (12-05-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 07:34 PM
wndchsr2
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ccislander
I can't understand why age is always a factor in this debate. Experience is a major factor in bike accidents, so why can't we compromise with a law that requires helmets for a provisional period, say 5 years, and after that, your choice. I'm all about personal freedom but that's a compromise I could live with.
And BTW, vizcarmb, It's about 'Freedom' - you know, like that thing that my father fought for in WWII and many here on this site have done since then - it's not about being 'anti-helmet'. And those short term stats from Michigan that you saw posted here mean nothing at this point. I'll just disregard your 'screw you' statement.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:40 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,422 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Hell, you let them vote at 18 - how's that been working out?

Old 02-01-2016, 09:03 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

My choice is to wear a helmet, I have ridden in states where helmets were not required and rode with no helmet for a few days. I guess it was a been there done that type of deal. Maybe I am just older and wiser but my choice is a helmet not just from the obvious protection if you go down but I also like the fact it cuts the wind, bugs, rocks etc.....

Having said that I think it should be a personal choice with the Gov not having a say in my personal choices. I also think 21 and up is appropriate

Old 02-01-2016, 10:04 AM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ccislander
That's how it works in Maine. Under 18 or on a learners' permit, helmet required. Helmet also required for 1st year after issue date of motorcycle endorsement. After that, rider's choice. Seems pretty reasonable to me, and I think it's the right implementation of a (mostly) rider's choice law. Maine does not, however, have any requirement for eye protection. That's just nuts to me. But I've seen guys (rarely) running down the highway with no helmet, no glasses and no windshield. I can't imagine staying in control if I took a bee to the eye...

I wear a helmet 100% of the time, as do any of my passengers. In the small groups I ride with, some people have worn helmets for years, a couple have recently started wearing them, and some do not. The differing opinions don't seem to cause any conflict within the group.

Last edited by dandrumheller; 02-01-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:15 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

The fact of the matter is helmets reduce injuries and save lives, any argument to the contrary is ignorant. Not wearing one is stupid, but it's your right to be stupid.

Under the age of 18 it's a parents responsibility to teach kids not to be stupid, the state has no business raising your kids or telling you that you have to wear a helmet. Do away with ALL helmet laws. The world needs more natural selection.

Sometimes I wear one, sometimes I don't that makes me pretty stupid especially considering I am here because I was wearing a helmet a couple of different times, and I have personally seen some pretty extreme examples where a helmet was the reason someone walked away or survived a wreck.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:34 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by bettingpython
The fact of the matter is helmets reduce injuries and save lives, any argument to the contrary is ignorant. Not wearing one is stupid, but it's your right to be stupid.

Under the age of 18 it's a parents responsibility to teach kids not to be stupid, the state has no business raising your kids or telling you that you have to wear a helmet. Do away with ALL helmet laws. The world needs more natural selection.
This is where I'm at too. I choose to wear one, but if you don't wanna wear one, that's your business. Not mine.

Quick Reply: Helmet Debate