General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

East Coast Salt Problem :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 11:55 AM
Muttley69
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy East Coast Salt Problem :(

Hello everyone, I just wanted to share my little problem here regarding salt buildup on my motorcycle. I moved to Nova Scotia last year and I have kept my HD Sportster XL-883-L Superlow inside a shed for the non-riding season. Sometimes I kept her under a tarp and sometimes not but she was in the shed all the time.

For those who do not live near the Maritime Provinces, the "salt = rust (or corrosion)" that vehicles endure here at the East Coast is all thanks to the salt in the air (and rain) from the Atlantic.

As you can see in the pics I have attached, they are more visible on the chromed areas of the motorcycle but they actually are all over her

I guess my question is can anyone who has had the same predicament provide their own technique on how to avoid this buildup, or how to effectively get rid of them?

A neighbor told me to use a WD-40 laced piece of cloth to wipe them off, but I would rather get further advice from actual riders.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-01-2019, 05:10 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

This thread somehow got locked. Unlocked and bumped.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:44 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,297 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Those of us, most of us in the snow belt states stay off the road after winter until the salt is washed away. The eastern seaboard has this problem of oceanic air corroding/pitting aluminum, trying to keep the polished covers nice would be a full days job. to clean the aluminum I use the Mothers Alum/Mag polish followed by a marine wax/polish from Starbrite. Get this from marine/boat supplies stores (West Marine). Has good wax properties to protect aluminum in salt water environments.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:13 PM
b bop n bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Not sure how to remove the salt deposits, but I would pitch the tarp. It traps moisture that creates condensation on the bike, which in your case contains salt.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:38 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 518 Likes on 267 Posts

I live by the ocean and the salt air will destroy chrome, iron, steel, and aluminum if you don't keep it totally clean. You have to stay on top of it constantly, you have to store your bike in a totally dry area also, rusting cannot occur without both water and oxygen. Moisture is easier to control obviously.

Aluminum is a different animal, the only painless way to protect it is to powdercoat it. I have to polish my aluminum weekly to keep it from oxidizing.

But I don't mind, she looks great.

East Coast Salt Problem :(-dibtndb.jpg

Old 04-01-2019, 09:29 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
This thread somehow got locked. Unlocked and bumped.
And my post got deleted.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:39 PM
ryan06
Tourer

Received 135 Likes on 70 Posts

First thing, get rid of the tarp, second, put more vents in that shed. I live in NS too, and no rust on my bikes at all. One was in a cargo trailer all year with the roof vent open. No problem. And lastly, get busy with that WD-40, hose down everything that can rust. I've been doing that for many years, and it works perfect.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:50 AM
Phil13
Road Master
Received 1,623 Likes on 575 Posts

This will get rid of the aluminium oxide, but you would need to contact them to find out where their overseas suppliers are located;

https://www.raceglaze.co.uk/car-care...ngine-cleaner/

Spray it on, work it in with a brush, leave for 5 minutes and then rinse off thoroughly with warm water and the job's a good 'un.

The following users liked this post:
SimonR (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 02:36 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,729 Likes on 2,395 Posts

I know WD-40 is now a range of products but I am certain the original is not a lubricant and as such I am not sure it lasts very well.

Take a look at ACF 50 or similar products.

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/

Old 04-02-2019, 04:59 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,477 Likes on 6,876 Posts

That does not look like salt buildup, more like oxidation of the Aluminum and pitting of the chrome. What other have said, clean it well and put corrosion penetrate on it before you store it for the winter.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: East Coast Salt Problem :(