General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Harley???

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 09:18 AM
vladt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Which Harley???

Howdy All,

Having ridden Jap sports bikes for the past 10 years I have recently sampled my friend's Sportster 1200 Custom.
To say that I am "hooked" would be a gross understatement. To me this is what bikes are all about: Sound of a big twin, feeling of a freedom. etc. (I won't bother you anymore with my motorycle zen...). A day later I began my quest to find the answer to only one question that has been on my mind for the past month: "Which Harley do I get???)

Over the past month I have been to various Harley shops and looked atmany differentmodels. While I managed to narrow down my list to a several models I am yet to choose the "right one". ( I am looking at 2007-2008 models)

In Softails I have tried: Fat Boy and Softail Custom. I loved them both, but Fat Boy feels very heavy on the front and I am worried about how nimble would it be through tighter corners. I also don't like the riding boards on the Fat Boy and much prefer the forward mounted controls.

I was also told by numerous people that Softails are much smoother than Dynas. Apparently Dynas handle much better and provide much better feel of the "v-twin" power. So far I really like the upcoming Fat Bob and Street Bobfrom the Dyna family.

To summ up I have several questions:

1. Does Dyna handle much better than Softails?
2. Having an unbalanced engine, does Dyna v-twin feels much rougher than the Softail?
3. Has anyone ridden a new Fat Bob?

How did you guys/girls make your first choice?
Any info/recommendations would be greately appreciated.

Thanks
Vlad

Old 10-20-2007, 09:56 AM
dynaguy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Harley???

Dyna shakes at idle.Which i think is cool. But at speed it is smooth as glass. Have been told that a softtail is just oppsite. The Dyna has gota little more power. The balancer in the B motor is just more moving parts for motor to pull. I ride a Wide Glide and i think it handles awsome.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would say that the Dyna does handle better than a Softail in the twisties. My Wide Glise has a slight vibration at idle and it is smooth as silk while riding. I have not ridden the Fat Bob, but there are a couple of guys on here that own one already. Finally, how did I choose the Wide Glide? There really is no way to say. You just know that it is the bike for you. Try to imagine having that bike in the garage each morning. If you think that you will be bored of it, it may not be the right one. Also, I would recommend buying the bike that is closest to the way you want it to look in the end. Mods are expensive. There is a lot of bolt on stuff that adds up fast and changing out the whole front end or engine finish will often cost more that if you bought the bike that way initially. Especially if you are going to pay Harley to do it.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:07 AM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I rode jap sport bikes for around 15 years before I bought my 2007 Superglide Custom FXDC. I think it is the perfect bike for someone who is ready to make the switch from ***** out hard cornering to torquing the asphalt cruising. I had similar questions as you did. I went the Dealer and sat on some bikes, read the forum, asked the sales guys, and other riders. I kept feeling compelled to go with the Dyna line, FXDC, FXDL, FXDBetc...

TheDyna steers great, torques great, looksgreat,feels great with its vibe'rations at IDLE etc...

I was torn between the Low Rider (FXDL)and the Super Glide Custom, (FXDC) at first, the FXDC just seemed cooler in a lot of aspects to me personally.

The fat bob simply does not appeal to me, as it seems like a bastard step child between the Softail and Dyna lines. To each his own of course. Be aware of the differences between the Fat Bob and the other dynas, such as wheel size etc...

I know I made the perfect choice for my riding style. Good luck and enjoy whatever bike you choose.

Tom

Old 10-20-2007, 10:16 AM
JW
Road Captain

I cant really answer any of your specific questions. But I can offer my experiences with the bikes I've owned. had a softail standard. Looked good, was ok in the corners as long as ya didnt push it hard. I ride with several softails now and I can tell you I routinely have to shut it down in the corners to keep from running over them. The heritage type of softails just dont have the ground clearance for corner carving. Please guys I am NOT slamming Softails.If I could afford a stable of bikes I'd have a couple of em. I ride a Road Glide and it's no knee scraper by any stretch of the imagination, but it fits my wants. long haul comfort and with the engine mods it keeps my right hand happy. If I could have another ride in the garage I'd probably have a stipped down bad to da bone dyna, that or a bobber in the same theme for blowing out the cobwebs. Sounds to me like you either want a Sportster or a Dyna. But in the end it's your butt in the saddle. My advice would be to rent and ride really ride weekend kinda thing then buy.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2160/23FC50C968E94ADE9FDAC7AEAB1DC2B0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2160/67C8A707AF6E4154A192910FB7A172C5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-20-2007, 10:25 AM
zombie
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a Heritage and a Custom, so you can tell I'm stuck on Softails. If you're lookin to hit the twisties, you're gonna grind your floorboards with any of the FL lineup. The FL's do steer heavier than the FX's, but are still pretty agile in spite of their weight. My Heritage is actually easier to manuever in slow speed situations than my Custom, and the Heritage is great on the interstates.

As JW said, rent em and ride em and go with what you like best.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:27 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Choose a bike that will match what you want to do with it. Only you can decide. For me it was the Custom. My last riding was in the 70s with a panhead chopper. This time I wanted less vibration, reasonably comfy ride on longer trips while keeping some of the good ole day looks. So far I have no regrets and love the bike. With the new 6 speeds gearing, vibration is a none issue with either A or B motors, but for me personally I don't like things shaking around at idle with the rubber mount. Some do.
Ron

Old 10-20-2007, 10:40 AM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

My first was a Low Rider Convertible (had bags and a detachable windshield). Although it was not a knee-dragger, I had little problem keeping up with all but the fastest of my sportbike friends. I currently have a FL but would go back to a Dyna in a minute as a great all-rounder. The Wide Glide has always been a favorite as far as looks. The dynas are the only ones that offer any ground clearance for spirited riding. But, then there is always the Buells....I've had one of those and loved it! A Ulyssescurrently has a spot in my Dream Garage.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:55 AM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

I've got a night train, and my grandpa has an 06 superglide. as far as I'm concerned after ridin both of em the softail is the way to go. the only thing I don't like about the softy is the vibration in the grips when you hit about 80mph or so. but I like the rear swingarm look and the blacked out bike with the 21 inch wheel, so it was the choice for me. to me the dyna feels small.....
good luck

Old 10-20-2007, 11:20 AM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior

I have a softail and will blow away dyna's in the twisties just got back from a 2200 mile trip (4x500 mile days) I think it rides great power may be a horse or two less than a dyna but my but doesn't know the difference. I bought what I wanted after test riding actually never even rode a dyna just sat on them and didn't like the feel felt top heavy compared to softail...also the wife likes it..

Quick Reply: Which Harley???