General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most reliable HD engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Diavolo
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Most reliable HD engines

Yeah mine!

Herr Monk, you may put a crapload of miles on yours, but ya gotta admit, the V-Rod was Harleys attempt to grab the yuppie market. It's mostly the guys who say "I don't really like Harleys, but I like that V-Rod". But hey, at least they're out riding right? Eh, who actually cares who's out riding? I always hated that F'n line.

By the way, the all black helps toughen it up a bit.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Pantony
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd stick with Big Flatty's. When I was a kid the Harley Dealer that had the Milwaukee Cops Maintainance contract had them in for a tuneup at around 80,000 miles

[IMG]local://upfiles/57849/4FC393FCB69D4BF9A1332E4D50D4B9FA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-11-2008, 08:06 PM
lbjohnson1
Road Master

This is even a question? Revolution by a long shot.............years to come you will see!

Old 04-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Pantony
Intermediate

Yea the V-Rods a nice motor and with water jackets should last a while, It should have been put in a bagger but I suspect it should be a long running engine with few problems; after all; most engines that were designed by Porsche AG usually do!!!

Hmmmm,, are you all surprised?

Old 04-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master

If I'm not mistaken it was AMF that put the R&D into the EVO....

ORIGINAL: harleydude68

Ok - I'll start - I say the Evo. I say this because with out the design of evo motor and the company dropping AMF it is very likely that AMF would have put the MOCO out of bidness for sure. The design of the EVO saved HD's Azz! So why is it the most reliable? Simply because it had to be. If the company f'd it up I don't belive there would be sights like this one today. - Just my 0.2

Old 04-11-2008, 11:33 PM
harleydude68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Cigar Aggie

If I'm not mistaken it was AMF that put the R&D into the EVO....

ORIGINAL: harleydude68

Ok - I'll start - I say the Evo. I say this because with out the design of evo motor and the company dropping AMF it is very likely that AMF would have put the MOCO out of bidness for sure. The design of the EVO saved HD's Azz! So why is it the most reliable? Simply because it had to be. If the company f'd it up I don't belive there would be sights like this one today. - Just my 0.2
I'll admit I don't know if AMF had any thing to do with the design / production of the EVO. What I do know and what I was saying is the design of Evo engine helped bring the company out of near bankruptcy and it seemed to all happen at the end of the AMF days. Hey if AMF did help design the engine or part of the engine they did a great job.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:01 AM
maxhp68
Advanced

I vote for the shovel head. Easy to work on, simple oil system, straight forward cam installation, points and new plugs isusually all you need to keep going down the road. Just as long as you remember to tighten everything once and a while!!

Old 04-12-2008, 10:03 AM
usturbine
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have to go with the REVO. i have had Pans, Shovels and EVO's and my vrod is the first one i have ridden without ever having to take the tool kit out of the saddle bag. plus no oil leaks and can go 5000 miles between oil changes without using ay oil.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:11 AM
o2man98
Novice

ORIGINAL: Diavolo

Yeah mine!

Herr Monk, you may put a crapload of miles on yours, but ya gotta admit, the V-Rod was Harleys attempt to grab the yuppie market. It's mostly the guys who say "I don't really like Harleys, but I like that V-Rod". But hey, at least they're out riding right? Eh, who actually cares who's out riding? I always hated that F'n line.

By the way, the all black helps toughen it up a bit.
Actually HD's grasp for the yuppie market I am sure were moves like: cruise control, heated seats, MP3 radio, oh snap, how about the $30K Screamin Beagle models with all the bling bling trash. All of which were introduced on airhead bikes. Not to mention boutique showrooms with custard and capaccino for the "guests".

Old 04-12-2008, 10:14 AM
o2man98
Novice

ORIGINAL: maxhp68

I vote for the shovel head. Easy to work on, simple oil system, straight forward cam installation, points and new plugs isusually all you need to keep going down the road. Just as long as you remember to tighten everything once and a while!!
Are you kidding me??? This is a reliable engine poll and you go and say the Shovel because it is easy to work on, replace cams, points, and plugs. And then say you have to remember to tighten things down once in a while. Right!

Quick Reply: Most reliable HD engines