General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most reliable HD engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:33 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Most reliable HD engines

evo hands down , but I am in love with panheads

Old 04-11-2008, 09:54 AM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The EVO has been around longer, but the REVO will get my vote for most reliable engine the MOCO has ever built. May not be as many out there, but it is a very solid power plant that is extremely reliable. Ask any HD dealership mechanic, they will tell you. We never see them for anything except an oil change, they just run very well and don't require much maintenance at all. They have even pushed the valve check to 20,000 miles now and even then only 10% need a minor adjustment that if not done wouldn't cause a problem at all. They may not sound like the air cooled motors, but if I needed extreme reliability, I would have to go with this one. They can handle the extreme heat and punishment that anyone could dish out.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:45 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've put many miles over the years on a pan, shovel and now recently the EVO. They all had there good points. I like the sound of the Pan. The shovel while not bullet proof initially can be with your personal touch. I am hoping the Evo is as good as everyone says.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: harleydude68

Revolutions over a long period of time??????? Um what when did they come out 2003?? The Evo came out 1/2 way through 1984 and was produced until 2000 (I think) that's 16 years. My 86 FXR when I sold her had over 50k and still running strong - VERY strong. The guy who was lucky enough to buy her is a VERY happy man and he will put another 50k before he would have to do any major engine work.

I have no doubt the Revolution is a good motor. But it hasn't been around long enough to make a statement that it stands the test of time. IMO
Maybe not time, but miles yes. There are many 100k mile + engines that have never had any issue, just normal mantancance, I know the twinkys have similar stories, but % wise there are allot of 100k+ Revos doing very well.

Now we don't know how well they will start after sitting in some dudes garage for 20 years... I guess that's the "test of time"

Old 04-11-2008, 01:02 PM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My independant mechanic says it's the Twin Cam....so instead of guessing i would say he knows a lot more than me. He works on all HDs so he should know more by experience.....

Life is Great....We all Ride!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/48412/1C131DCEBE0E43D9BB19F1CB478075EF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Diavolo
Banned

Clearly this is a popularity poll. The Twinkie is the most reliable? I don't think so. Based on all the b!tchings that go on in this site I would guess it's the worst.

The current most reliable HD motor is the EVO. There are more out there with 100K+ on them than any other motor. Maybe in a few years you can re-post this poll and then we can see.

As for the Revo. It's still too new. And besides, it sits in a yuppie bike. Go ahead, flame away.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Diavolo

As for the Revo. It's still too new. And besides, it sits in a yuppie bike. Go ahead, flame away.
Like I said, those of us who buy Revos ride them hard. All us drag-racing-iron-butt-yuppies have put well over 100k on them in the few years they have been out.

That's cute though, a yuppie bike. All those trailor queen V-Rods you see all over the place.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:23 PM
cray49a
Road Master

EVO - HAD 2, STILL HAVE 1. VERY RELIABLE AND EASY TO WORK ON.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Grimpy
Tourer

EVO

Old 04-11-2008, 02:51 PM
harleydude68
Road Master

The revolution sits in a V-rod which is not IMO a "true" Harley Davidson "classic" looking motorcycle. Butthe v-rodIS indeed a Harley Davidson Motorcyle. With all theso called yuppies buying HD's can we honestly say that there isone HD model that is NOT a yuppie bike? [sm=confused06.gif]Food for thought.

Quick Reply: Most reliable HD engines