General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most reliable HD engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 01:30 AM
Diavolo
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Most reliable HD engines

Look at all the V-Rod owners post in defiance. Funny $hit.

Told ya. This is just a popularity contest. None of it makes sense. Move on.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:38 AM
harleydude68
Road Master

ORIGINAL: shrktooth

Think about this......

The Twin Cam has been out for HOW many years????? It isonly2.5 years older than the V-ROD engine

The first 6 years track record of the Evo engine was?????? Our shop had plenty of issues with the Evo in the '80's

So now compare those 2 facts with the reliability and PROVEN TRACK performance of the REVO engine (no comparision IMHO).... cause we all know how good the Evo did at the track the first 6 years of its life....

2002 was the first year of the REVO engine... that means it was sold to the public in Sept. of 2001

ORIGINAL: harleydude68

Revolutions over a long period of time??????? Um what when did they come out 2003?? The Evo came out 1/2 way through 1984 and was produced until 2000 (I think) that's 16 years. My 86 FXR when I sold her had over 50k and still running strong - VERY strong. The guy who was lucky enough to buy her is a VERY happy man and he will put another 50k before he would have to do any major engine work.

I have no doubt the Revolution is a good motor. But it hasn't been around long enough to make a statement that it stands the test of time. IMO
What kind of problems did you have with the EVO engine in the 80's? The biggest problem I ever had withmy FXR was the voltage regulator. This is an engine thread so what problems did you have with the ENGINE?

Old 04-13-2008, 07:58 AM
shrktooth
Cruiser

I don't own a V-ROD

ORIGINAL: Diavolo

Look at all the V-Rod owners post in defiance. Funny $hit.

Told ya. This is just a popularity contest. None of it makes sense. Move on.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:08 AM
shrktooth
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: harleydude68
What kind of problems did you have with the EVO engine in the 80's? The biggest problem I ever had withmy FXR was the voltage regulator. This is an engine thread so what problems did you have with the ENGINE?
TheyEVO isa great motor. The Evo can haul *** and even though it wasn't the prettiest to look at replaceing the shovel it still was a v-twin...

The question of the first post " the most reliable engine"

Its the Revo engine in the V-Rod....

Old 04-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member

The question was "which Harley Engine is the most reliable"... not coolest, not most nostalgic, not even easiest to work on. Just because you can rebuild an evo all by yourself doesn't make it reliable. In terms of simple, trouble-free longevity the Revo wins hands down.

IMO a knuckly or pan chopper wins the cool contest everytime, but they wouldn't last even 25,000 just changing fluids.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Frisian HD
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Evo , for sure.

I have a 88 TC and a 96 TCin the garage, but they can't beata 80 Evo, no way!!!

I own the Evo for 13 years now, she's from 1990, only thing broke was a spring from the tranny and a coil twice (my mistake, left her on ignition without running engine)

Old 04-13-2008, 03:27 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HD had problems with a lot of their engines.
The Evo had cases bustin open from bearing failures I think it was on the left side. They mustof gotten some vendors that put out cheaper parts. When they made changes to fix one thing them made it weak somewhere else. If you waited they would come out with a better part down the road. Look at the Twin cams, they had cam chain problems. The 07 came out with new cam plates and silent chains and the shoes don't have much tension on the chains. All you got to do with any of them is to work on it when it breakes.
I rode a 64 Pan most of my time.
As far as AMF , they brought a lot of good things to HD, its just that they put japanese carbs on the bikes. If it wasn't for AMF HD probaly would of gone under from some of the stuff they have made. Luckly everybody had learned over time.