General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Helmet Question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:15 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Another Helmet Question.

I have a question to the folks that ride cruisers and sportbikes or sport tourers.
I have a few friends that have both type of bikes. When riding their cruisers, they wear a half (or no) helmet and a t-shirt & jeans. When they ride their other bikes, they wear a FF and go ATGATT.
I have asked them why they dress differently on the different bikes and they usually just shrug their shoulders and say "I don't know". Isn't the asphalt just as hard when you hit it falling off a cruiser as it would be falling from any other bike?
Or is it that the desire to be an individual and dress like everyone else is too strong? It makes no sense to dress differently on different bikes.
I know we all have a certain level of risk's that we are willing to take. Wouldn't the risk level be the same for all types of motorcycles ridden on public roadways?
Don't tell me that it's because the sportbikes are faster. These are not squids, but responsible adults who don't ride like maniacs. Plus, I would think they would feel safer on their sport bikes, since the handling and braking capabilities are far superior to their cruisers. Personally I don't care what a person wears to ride, it just seems strange to dress differently depending on what bike you are on.
So, do any of you multi bike owners have to dress the part for each bike or do you ride ATGATT no matter what bike you are on?

Old 04-06-2009, 09:19 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are talking about the Bar Hoppers as we call Posers. Half are drunk and the other part of show in and go life.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:20 AM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 11 Posts

I have both a Harley and a sportbike and I tend to ride them differently. So I dress appropriately for each bike.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:27 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL - Because people love to pose.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:28 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wear a FF helmet no matter what motorcycle brand I ride. Some riders just don't like wearing a particular type helmet or any kind of helmet, while others don't wear a helmet because of peer pressure.
Tom

Old 04-06-2009, 09:35 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 97FXSTSB
I have both a Harley and a sportbike and I tend to ride them differently. So I dress appropriately for each bike.

But, my question to my friends is the same as I pose to you. Riding in traffic at 35 to 45 mph and a crash occurs, will the asphalt know that your head fell off your Kaw or your HD? Are you saying that you're not going to be involved in a crash on the HD but maybe on the Kaw? It just doesn't make sense to me.
I think you guys don't want your cruiser buddies ribbing you about being out of uniform. Otherwise you would think that a logical person would apply the same levels of risk management no matter what bike they are on.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:37 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default helmets and gear

From what I have seen- the Sport bike crowd AKA crotch rocket crowd, appear to ZIP about a little faster. When I was over in Seattle 2 years ago, My fiance and I had just picked up her new mini cooper- we were headed over to Bellevue across a bridge and 4 Crockets blast by us at over the posted speed of 60, then we see front wheels pop up for at least an 1/8th mile. I would hope those guys have all the safety equipment they can muster.

As for myself, I riden motorcycles since I was 9 yrs old, i'll be 49 yrs old in a few months. When on my Fatty, I'm not doing any crazy ****, and keep it safe. I wear a half helmet, harley jacket with armor and chaps. The reality is that if I go down I will get hurt, without question. If I am not going bonzi like the c rockets are, I might just survive and walk away from the incident. I also have a full face helmet but my bean and the Bell full face don'[t fit well. I went for a helmet that offered protection and comfort. 18 miles east of me in Idaho, there is NO helmet law, and most of my buddies there do not weatr a skid lid, I still do.

Ride Safe,

Mark

Old 04-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Bluegrasser
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a kid on a crotch rocket with a FF helmet (with a rubber mohawk on it) pass me like a bullet in my lane this weekend. Crotch rocket riders need FF helmets because if I could have caught him I'd have kicked the living s**t out of him starting with his head.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:43 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It wouldn't matter if I was on a crotch rocket or a cruiser. I dress for comfort AND protection. Sometimes I wear a helmet, sometimes I don't.

Seems to me the "posers" are the guys that want to look like road racers.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:51 AM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
But, my question to my friends is the same as I pose to you. Riding in traffic at 35 to 45 mph and a crash occurs, will the asphalt know that your head fell off your Kaw or your HD? Are you saying that you're not going to be involved in a crash on the HD but maybe on the Kaw? It just doesn't make sense to me.
I think you guys don't want your cruiser buddies ribbing you about being out of uniform. Otherwise you would think that a logical person would apply the same levels of risk management no matter what bike they are on.
Sorry if I didn't answer your question. It's just they way it is for me. Half helmet on the Harley, full-face on the 10R. The rest of my gear is pretty much the same (jeans, boots, shirt). I don't wear any Harley clothing on the 10R though.

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
It wouldn't matter if I was on a crotch rocket or a cruiser. I dress for comfort AND protection. Sometimes I wear a helmet, sometimes I don't.

Seems to me the "posers" are the guys that want to look like road racers.
I've seen "posers" that want to look like Harley riders too. Probably more.

Last edited by 97FXSTSB; 04-06-2009 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Another Helmet Question.