General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smokeout XI

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:53 PM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Smokeout XI

I am slowly still recovering from this rally. To everyone that camped and stayed for both nights, you get a notch in your hardcore belt!!! If the heat and humidity weren't enough, the carnage of twisted popup canopies and tents flying across the campgournds caused by the storm that came through friday night, left many trying to find a hotel, or heading home friday night. The storm came up just when the wet t-shirt contest was getting started, so they stopped it even though there were many of us still standing in the rain. It rained so hard for about an hour or so that the north end of the vendor area (where our buddy's from Eden Chopper School were), the standing water was 8 inches deep.

Once the rain finally stopped the party resumed, and the wet t-shirt contest kicked back off, and it did not dissapoint. I've seen many and this one would have been easily shut down in most places

After the event area closed down the party resumed in the campgrounds. The beer and the shine flowed freely, and the burnouts were going unil about 3 in the morning. Even given the harsh circumstances there were still number of attractive women staying in the campgrounds. Even one that had riden her sporty all the way from Birmingham AL.

By the time things wound down, I had an inch of water in my tent and all my clothes and sleeping bag were drenched, but with enough beer and moonhine was able to still get a bit of sleep. I did end up pulling my knife out and stabbing hole in the bottom of my tent to drain the water out.

When the sun came up Saturday morning, we packed all of our clothes into a garbage bag and rode out to find a laundry mat. Put everything into the big dryers, and went and ate a big breakfast at Shoney's. When we came back to get our clothes several other bikes were out front, so there were at least a few who had the same idea.

The heat and lack of a breeze anywhere during the day on Saturday, we looked for a place with some AC to eat lunch and cool down a bit, so we rode about 15 miles into a town called Southern Pines. While there, another hell of a storm came up that knocked the power out and rained hard for a couple of hours. We waited it out with the expectation of campground to have been hit hard again. When we got back it was a nice surprise to see everything was still dry, and the storm had skirted by the rally. By then we had caught our second wind and started partying again.

The weather saturday night turned out great, so the events continued. Great bands, superhero minibike races, drag races on the strip as well as the road behind the strip, another wet-shirt contest, and the freakshow. One of the highlights of my day was meeting George the Painter. I've been reading his articles in the Horse for a while, and love them. Then the pary continues into the campground.

The campground has a life of it own, and is no less entertaining than the main event area. You will meet people like Johnboy the dirt surfer who was back from last year. Johnboy and his buddies like to tie a boogy board to the back of a bike and surf through the campgrounds. This is not an event for the weak at heart considering the campgrounds are covered with cactus', sandspurs, and fire ants, but somehow Johnboy is immune to these things, because I know a saw him wipe out hard a dozen times and walk out of the dust with a smile on his face. There were also some guys that had built a portable strip club with a stripper pole and some couches on the back of flat bed trailer. I never saw any women on the pole the times I saw it go by. There was Scooby who ironically looks and acts much more like Shaggy, who rode his old shovel head from somewhere in AL.

All in all, regardless of the weather and heat, we had a great time. Every year we go, we make new friends, and catch up with friends from the previous years. It is not for everyone. There is a big 81 and support club presense, but I never saw a fight, or even an altercation the whole weekend. I forgot my camera this year, but here is a link to some great pics from the event.
http://carolinadoug.smugmug.com/Moto...14338474_W7y9B

Old 06-28-2010, 01:10 PM
jrjones
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The weather was crazy. I know Friday night one of the tents in our went down. We had four people pilled in one tent to keep it from going down. The Saturday it was so hot. I know we went to the Subway down the roda and sat in there after eating to just enjoy the A/C. It was weird though cause Saturday we were begging for the rain just cool things off.

We also went and dried clothes on Saturday morning.

Was a good time. It was my third year in a row going but the first one camping out. I can say without a doubt will be camping out next year.

Dont know if you seen the mobile stripper pole on Saturday night.

Also i know besides the regular burnouts, Friday night when Rebel Son was playing someone would did a mud burnout. Barried down to the rear axle.

Also looking at your bike I remember seeing yours parked near where were camping.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:28 PM
jstreet0204
Road Master

Originally Posted by jrjones
The weather was crazy. I know Friday night one of the tents in our went down. We had four people pilled in one tent to keep it from going down. The Saturday it was so hot. I know we went to the Subway down the roda and sat in there after eating to just enjoy the A/C. It was weird though cause Saturday we were begging for the rain just cool things off.

We also went and dried clothes on Saturday morning.

Was a good time. It was my third year in a row going but the first one camping out. I can say without a doubt will be camping out next year.

Dont know if you seen the mobile stripper pole on Saturday night.

Also i know besides the regular burnouts, Friday night when Rebel Son was playing someone would did a mud burnout. Barried down to the rear axle.

Also looking at your bike I remember seeing yours parked near where were camping.
Yeah we camped about 75 yards off the back roads, in an attempt to get out of the dust, but it didnt matter The old rat rod that was doing donuts in the field made sure everyone got their share of dust .

I don't remember seeing the mobile stripped pole later Sat night, but we partying with some of the girls from Friday nights wet-tshirt contest so I was a bit distracted We spent most of the time in the area between the campground stage, and the HA's campsite.

Camping is the best way to go. You only get half the experience if you don't camp.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:47 PM
jrjones
Tourer

We were about half way between were he was doing them and were he was parked so didnt get to much dust.

The stripper pole was pure luck. Just happen to be in the right place at the right time.

I have to agree that you only get half of it by not camping out.

Hopefully it will be there again. It is a good site, plus only about 3 hours from the house so it is a nice ride out there.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:16 PM
jstreet0204
Road Master

Originally Posted by jrjones
Hopefully it will be there again. It is a good site, plus only about 3 hours from the house so it is a nice ride out there.
From what I hear, they signed a 10 year agreement with Rockingham. I do wish they would move it back to may though. The weather would a little more stable and a little cooler.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:20 PM
jrjones
Tourer

Everyone I was with was saying the same thing, they wish they would move it back to May. Maybe even push it back towards the fall. Regardless if it is July I will be there.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:30 PM
section8joe
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I got home last night around 9:30. 600 mile ride fro Rockingham to Youngstown Ohio. This was my first Smokeout and were already planning for next year. My crew consisted of guys from, Cleveland,Youngstown and Louisville KY. We also met up with a few guys from Chicago. They spotted us on the WV turnpike and we rode the rest of the way with them. My buddy's ironhead blew up on the way down. Thank god for a chase truck! I can't believe how damn hot it was in Rockingham. We got there Friday night right when it started to rain. We set up our tents the the big storm hit. All the tents and clothes were soaked! A friend from Maryland had a tent land on their truck and broke the windshield. **** was crazzzzzy!! I saw the stipper tractor a few times during the night. Fat Elvis was funny as hell too!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:20 PM
jrjones
Tourer

I missed fat Elvis got got the fat man on the mini bike!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:21 PM
jstreet0204
Road Master

Originally Posted by section8joe
I got home last night around 9:30. 600 mile ride fro Rockingham to Youngstown Ohio. This was my first Smokeout and were already planning for next year. My crew consisted of guys from, Cleveland,Youngstown and Louisville KY. We also met up with a few guys from Chicago. They spotted us on the WV turnpike and we rode the rest of the way with them. My buddy's ironhead blew up on the way down. Thank god for a chase truck! I can't believe how damn hot it was in Rockingham. We got there Friday night right when it started to rain. We set up our tents the the big storm hit. All the tents and clothes were soaked! A friend from Maryland had a tent land on their truck and broke the windshield. **** was crazzzzzy!! I saw the stipper tractor a few times during the night. Fat Elvis was funny as hell too!
Glad you guys made it back safe. It isn't usually that hot, we are just having some records highs the past few weeks. It is supposed to be back in the mid eighty's this weekend. Hot or not, it was a great time.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:50 AM
TOMMY1
Novice

There were 3 of us that rode down on Thursday. You are right the heat was a killer. We went to Walmart and bought a sun cover Friday and spent Friday night holding it to keep it from blowing away. Didn't work after the shock poles snapped from the wind. My tent didn't move as I had it staked with 12" rods. The other guys one tent was blown down the other filled up with water.
Didn't seem to me to be quite as wild as last year but we still had a great time and will be back next year.

Tommy1
1998XLC
2009FLHTC
Richmond Va

Quick Reply: Smokeout XI