General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Safety Course and Insurance... Interesting observation

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:26 PM
harley_rob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle Safety Course and Insurance... Interesting observation

So, I took the Motorcycle Safety Course on Monday and Tuesday. It was great. I wouldn't say I learned a whole lot from the Basic course I took, but I really appreciated getting more time trying out stuff on a bike that I don't normally do very often. I can say that I am more comfortable with many of the maneuvers though.

Now onto the reason for my post. The instructor suggested that I call the insurance company because there's a possibility that after taking it I could be eligible for a discount. So I did, and I was!!

The Kicker is - they did not ask for a single bit of proof that I had completed the course.

Anyone ever see this before? Theoretically, one could call their insurance provider and claim to have taken it, just to get the discount. I'm not condoning this.... but I'm just curious. I very highly recommend the course.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 191 Posts

The thing about lying to the insurance company is if you were involved in a accident, they would probably deny your claim if they found out that you provided them with inaccurate information.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:32 PM
SportyRoadking081103
Stage III

Brand new to HD forums. Wish I knew that yesterday, just updated my insurance and they asked me if I'd taken a course. I've taken 6 but the last one was 4 years ago. Didn't know they wouldn't ask for proof. Dang integrity strikes again!

Old 07-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

I am not sure how true it is, but during our last safety briefing, the briefer stated that 85% of all motorcycle crashes are from people who have no official motorcycle training. I guess the lower insurance rates provide some validity to the statistic.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyRoadking081103
Brand new to HD forums. Wish I knew that yesterday, just updated my insurance and they asked me if I'd taken a course. I've taken 6 but the last one was 4 years ago. Didn't know they wouldn't ask for proof. Dang integrity strikes again!
I had to take a driving safety course about 10 years ago for my job (to lower the company's rates). They gave us a card upon completion and there was no date on it. I keep it in my wallet as proof, but the insurance company has never asked to see it.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:32 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you took the course. See a lot of people that ride badly just like I figure they drive. Overconfident, undereducated and without intelligent thought. One thing about two wheels is that sooner or later everybody gets a sand check on skills. Pass or fail can really be a life changer.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 149 Likes on 61 Posts

Its the same way for a security device on a car like the club or an alarm. They give you discounts for using it but never have to see it. That being said im sure at an accident they will ask if you have you card on your for the course and probably be in deep **** if you couldnt prove you took the course.

If your military the course is free otherwise its like $200... if you plan on riding a while then take the course and get a discount that will pay for itself. As a side note im not going to knock the ERC (Experienced rider course) but its basically the BRC without a final test and everything is almost the exact same. You do the swerve with one hand on the handlebars... only difference I remembered.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Dog Father
Cruiser

Last thing I would want to do is give the insurance company a reason not to pay my claim by lying to them!

Old 07-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

Originally Posted by harley_rob
So, I took the Motorcycle Safety Course on Monday and Tuesday. It was great. I wouldn't say I learned a whole lot from the Basic course I took, but I really appreciated getting more time trying out stuff on a bike that I don't normally do very often. I can say that I am more comfortable with many of the maneuvers though.

Now onto the reason for my post. The instructor suggested that I call the insurance company because there's a possibility that after taking it I could be eligible for a discount. So I did, and I was!!

The Kicker is - they did not ask for a single bit of proof that I had completed the course.

Anyone ever see this before? Theoretically, one could call their insurance provider and claim to have taken it, just to get the discount. I'm not condoning this.... but I'm just curious. I very highly recommend the course.
I was under the impression that your course completion is part of your driving record.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

I had to show my local agent my MSF card when I got the motorcycle insured. I received one year riding credit and 10% off the rate.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Safety Course and Insurance... Interesting observation