General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

directharleyparts.com be warned

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:37 AM
speedydog5
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default directharleyparts.com be warned

i ordered a set of pipes from them was told they were shipped out, when i was able to get someone to answer phone (no replies to e mail so forget that) i was given a tracking # to was no avail kept on coming back no number found, they or he kept insisting Fed Ex driver dident scan item when picked up and would show up only after delivered, now I told him i was leaving town and wanted to make sure i recieved and he assured me i would have in like 4 days tops , after caling Fed ex the supivisor i requested said tracking # invalid and assured me also a driver would not pick up item without scanning in now almost week and 1/2 i called Direct HP back finally got a answer in late afternoon, he says the tracking # changed and gives me a new number well now it shows up and was just sent out yesterday and delivery not for 6 days needless to say screwed my trip up a little, and after i ordered from them i decided to do a search and found otheres with same issue sorry about long post just needed to vent

Old 02-05-2011, 08:49 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Holy sh*t, we are running out of places to buy parts from around here

Old 02-05-2011, 08:56 AM
CoyoteMoss
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My opinion or thought is -- Probably one of these places that have no stock at all. When they get your order, they order the part, tell you it's shipped and charge your card so they can pay for it. I could be wrong, but good that you share this info.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:12 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

I Have,, but this is the reason I hate to order anything that has to be paid up front and I can't see item beforehand.

I'd rather drive to business and see the part even if it cost's more before I buy it.

I know it sometimes can't be helped,, just I'd rather not...

Old 02-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by CoyoteMoss
My opinion or thought is -- Probably one of these places that have no stock at all. When they get your order, they order the part, tell you it's shipped and charge your card so they can pay for it. I could be wrong, but good that you share this info.
Yup +1 on that! This business of selling stuff on-line that isn't actually in stock or in some cases even available; seems to be getting pretty common. Seems like one out of four things I order on-line I have to chase down for shipment or for a refund.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 02-05-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:07 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

It is one of the great things about a larger on-line internet retailer such as Dennis Kirk. Can see right then and there if in-stock. Even have to clock that says order by X time and ships today!

I will order from a Zanotti's or other on occasion if a really good deal but always expect it to take 2.5 - 3.5 weeks. Once in awhile I am pleasantly surprised and even non-stocking outfits deliver sooner.......but not often.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:33 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Welcome to internet commerce world of drop shipper store fronts . I won't say all the places out there are doing this but a HUGE number of them are , you have a cheap office or room withe 3-4 live bodies acting as a store . Very rarely do these places have stock in hand from what I've found . Use the land line phone number to order parts not the net system and ask the live person if it's in stock , no phone contacts they are drop shippers .

Old 02-05-2011, 04:23 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Online purchases

TwiZted Biker is exactly right. I have attended several of those "internet business" seminars, you know the one where you can make oddles and oddles of money with very little "effort". Well, they all have the same message and system....be a drop shipper. You take the orders, send it to a supplier and the supplier ships the item either to you or back to the original orderer. Either way, the person doesn't have an inventory and they don't have any idea what the item looks like! It's all legal, and if the supplier is on the ball it usually goes smoothly. However, when the wheels come off. It can be a bear to get someone to take responsibility for it. So beware.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:39 PM
redmonster13
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont mind the drop shipping if I get a good price and am MADE AWARE OF ACTUAL SHIPPING TIMES. Unfortunatly I have found that most places dont want to let you know its going to take 2 or 3 weeks to get your parts.

So far all my ebay buys sucked, great prices but nothing in stock and the runaround trying to get a delivery date.

Yesterday however I called Dr. V-Twin and the sales guy was awesome, he told me that one of my parts was on backorder and my wheels wouldnt ship until after assembly. I was thrilled, I have to wait but at lest I know how long I have to wait. If he had told me that my parts were going to ship that day I would have torn the bike down, but he told me the truth instead and now I know I can sneak in a few rides before I tear it back down.

No, I dont work for them

Old 02-05-2011, 08:05 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,677 Posts

I haven't found many places online with lower prices than Dennis Kirk. I also use J&P, but their prices are a little higher, but their customer service is exceptional.

Quick Reply: directharleyparts.com be warned