General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Jiffy" stand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:53 AM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default "Jiffy" stand?

I'm a new owner (FLTRU), and I found it interesting that in the owner's manual Harley calls the kickstand a "jiffy" stand.

This might have been mentioned previously somewhere on these forums, but I'm curious about the name ....

Old 03-16-2011, 11:04 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by banddirector
I'm a new owner (FLTRU), and I found it interesting that in the owner's manual Harley calls the kickstand a "jiffy" stand.

This might have been mentioned previously somewhere on these forums, but I'm curious about the name ....
Harley-Davidson has always called it a jiffy stand, at least as long or longer than it has been called a kickstand. H.D. has been around a very long time and had they been more popular in the early years everyone would be calling it a jiffy.

Originally, most bikes had a frame mounted 'center stand'. On most older HD models, there was a center stand clipped to the inside of the rear fender requiring the operator to lift the whole back end of the bike to swing it into place under the frame, the "jiffy stand" was a quick easy method of standing the bike up without getting a hernia...the term jiffy stand was coined to distinguish the center stand from the side or "kick" stand as it could be deployed in a 'jiffy'.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Cazimere
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And if you forget to use it, your bike will be on the ground in a Jiffy.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:43 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

The name and design are unique identifiers for Harley.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:44 AM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Harley-Davidson has always called it a jiffy stand, at least as long or longer than it has been called a kickstand. H.D. has been around a very long time and had they been more popular in the early years everyone would be calling it a jiffy.

Originally, most bikes had a frame mounted 'center stand'. On most older HD models, there was a center stand clipped to the inside of the rear fender requiring the operator to lift the whole back end of the bike to swing it into place under the frame, the "jiffy stand" was a quick easy method of standing the bike up without getting a hernia...the term jiffy stand was coined to distinguish the center stand from the side or "kick" stand as it could be deployed in a 'jiffy'.
Thanks!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:17 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
The name and design are unique identifiers for Harley.
Actually, I think that a lot of brands use the same terminology. At least, when I took the state riders safety course, the instructors called 'em jiffy stands and we were riding Kawasakis & Yamahas.

BTW, OP, congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:31 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Actually, I think that a lot of brands use the same terminology. At least, when I took the state riders safety course, the instructors called 'em jiffy stands and we were riding Kawasakis & Yamahas.
<snip>

Regardless of what your instructors called it (they may have been Harley riders) I have yet to see a reference to a "jiffy stand" in conjunction with any other motorcycle brand. Used to be Harley didn't refer to the stand on Sportsters as "jiffy stands" either because they weren't. That's changed, but I think the Sporty still uses a stand without a lock.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:42 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Nice cut & paste http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_H...ner%27s_manual

Old 03-16-2011, 01:10 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by golfblues
Thanks! Because of this new fangled interweb, any moron can find & share useless... 'er, I mean useful information!

Daddy Knuck, my one instructor rode a Gold Wing & a Triumph. The other one rode 3 different metrics, but I don't remember specifics on them. Neither of them rode or ever owned Harleys.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Aerma...Q5fAccessories

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3503724...=263602_304662

It's no big deal - it's just terminology. Kinda like when someone asks for a Kleenex. Kleenex is a brand of tissue - not actually what the product itself is called.

Christ, people are a little "testy" on the forum today...

Funny how the name 'jiffy stand' never caught on with the faithful. It's just not masculine enough for a proper motorcycle.
Agreed!

Last edited by AnotherBlackSG; 03-16-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

Funny how the name 'jiffy stand' never caught on with the faithful. It's just not masculine enough for a proper motorcycle.

Quick Reply: "Jiffy" stand?