General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

open heart surgery

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts
Default open heart surgery

Hi Guys; I just had open heart surgery with a valve replacement and a double bypass a week ago. I had a "sudden death cardiac arrest", but the Lord had it all worked out ahead of time so that I had medical treatment from the beginning. My question is if any of you have had open heart, how long was it till you could ride again? Thanks.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:41 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I can't answer your question. Never had it, hope I never do. But it is good to see you're here thinking about riding today. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:47 PM
weeT
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My heart attack & quadruple bypass was on November 8, 2011. My first ride was a PGR mission for a local KIA on January 28, 2012. I was still a little sore, but the mission comes first...

I had no ill effects from the drugs I'm on. I've read some on here have waited 6 months or longer, for various reasons.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks 2black1s; I feel so blessed that I am feeling so well already. My surgery was on the 3rd, and they released me from the hospital on Easter sunday the 8th. I hope you never have to go through it either.

weet; Glad to hear you started riding again in a short time. I kind of figured it had to do with several things, but kind of wanted to know what others had done. I have several doctors apptmnts. set up over the next few months, and I am sure they will let me know when I can ride again. Thanks for the replys guys. About all I can do for now is read the forum, and sing Amazing Grace with tears in my eyes.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:46 PM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member

Glad the surgery went well! Wishing you a speedy recovery! BIL had heart surgery a few years back and though he is not a rider seems like he was pretty active in a few months time!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad it's all working out for you. My experience was a little different than yours in that my bypass was minimally invasive robotic surgery.

A couple of guys in my cardiac rehab ride and had the open chest procedure. They resumed riding once the chest bone & muscles felt OK and comfortable enough to handle the weight..

Sammi

Old 04-10-2012, 01:53 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Speedy recovery! I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm curious whether you asked your doctor for his advice. I would think he would suggest a period of time in order to allow at least a minimum level of healing to take place.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:14 PM
weeT
Cruiser

I asked my doc if it would be ok to ride. After 6 weeks, I had gotten an "excellent progress" report card from my cardiac rehab nurse, and the drugs were not adversly affecting me, so that part was good. He said that if the wind & vibration didn't cause me too much pain, I should be good to go. The only thing he added was that if I drop the bike, don't try to pick it up...let someone else do that!! I took it out for a 25 mile test run a few days before the mission, and was only slightly sore afterwards. The mission was only about 80 miles round trip, so I went for it. The only ill effect was that it was COLD & my feet were frozen by the time I got home!!

Hope you have a speedy recovery....get in rehab & work hard & you'll be back on the bike in no time!

Last edited by weeT; 04-10-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Throwback
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No experience with the surgery but I am glad everything worked out well for you. .

Old 04-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Timco
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only had stents after my heart attack, but I can say the Plavix causes me to be cold most of the time. I can`t ride if it is just the least bit cold, or my hands & feet will freeze.

Quick Reply: open heart surgery