General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steel toe boots while riding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 05:19 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Steel toe boots while riding?

or not? I jsut picked up some Dr. Martens steel toe boots last night. Not the new made in china ones, but some old ones that are made in england at a thrift store. I am very happy about this as I have been lookng for these for quite a while, but jsut didn't want to pay $100 for a pair. I am a cheapo wen I can be. Not working really adds to this. Anyway I jsut wanted everyones opinion on wearing steel toes boots while riding. My opinion used to be that in case of an accident it was not a good idea to wear steel toe boots as your toes could get chopped off. Now that Ihave a pair I think my opinion is changing. What do you all think? And yes, I still will wear my sidi boots as well.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Smitty0128
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Steel toe boots while riding?

I wear steel toe for riding and for work. I just like the comfort more. No real safety reasons , but it helps i guess.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:21 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't for the very reason you mention. Simply owning a pair wouldn't change my mind.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:48 PM
LIRIDE
Road Warrior

Took a spill over Memorial Day. If it wasn't for the steel toe I would have lost a least 1 toe. The boot was torn right down to the steel when my foot got trapped under the bike and the steel was scrapped like it was ona grinder.I replaced them with another pair with steel toe. Like everyhting else you read here you're going to get a lot of differentopinions.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:48 PM
billk
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better than sandals or tennis shoes , however, when skidding on the pavementface down, your toes willfare better than your face....[:-]

Old 01-19-2007, 05:51 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

I've always worn steel tipped boots. Never had one crush my toes yet. My wife just picked me up a pair of Smith's logger boots that she thought were steel toe. They are not. I've tried to ride with them and I hate shifting because I can feel the shifter thru the top of the boot and I'm just not used to it and don't like it. I'll be donating them to some charity when she is not looking and pick up a pair with the steel toes.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:52 PM
trmn8r
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where I work started requiring steel toes last year. We had to watch a couple of videos in our safety meetings about the time they started requiring them. If something heavy enough falls on your foot to make a steel or composite toe boot hurt your toes then it aint gonna matter WHAT you had on it was gonna destroy your foot regardless.Aint no way a steel toe could make it worse.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:53 PM
SoCalRoadGlide
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: anubisss

or not? I jsut picked up some Dr. Martens steel toe boots last night. Not the new made in china ones, but some old ones that are made in england at a thrift store. I am very happy about this as I have been lookng for these for quite a while, but jsut didn't want to pay $100 for a pair. I am a cheapo wen I can be. Not working really adds to this. Anyway I jsut wanted everyones opinion on wearing steel toes boots while riding. My opinion used to be that in case of an accident it was not a good idea to wear steel toe boots as your toes could get chopped off. Now that Ihave a pair I think my opinion is changing. What do you all think? And yes, I still will wear my sidi boots as well.
Mythbusters addressed the issue of steel toe boots chopping your toes off on one of their programs. They're conclusion was NO! you wouldn't get your toes chopped off. If enough weight/force dropped on them you might get them smushed a little bit, but not chopped off.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:58 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I wore steel toe engineer boots for years when riding but never had an accident so cannot address the safety issue. I do think that, if anything, they would be more protective than regular toe boots.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:25 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: anubisss

"anubisss"

“….Now that Ihave a pair I think my opinion is changing. What do you all think? And yes, I still will wear my sidi boots as well.”

I started to get in the habit of wearing them for the last 5 or 6 years, hay if the company pays for them why not, as its been said here any boot is better than sneakers so true !

cj

Quick Reply: Steel toe boots while riding?