General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borrowed Time on Crank Run Out

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:51 PM
Ultra-Rick
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Borrowed Time on Crank Run Out

This sucks!!! Thispast weekend I was dropping in a set on 255 cams in my 07 ultra. While in thereI went ahead and checked the run out on the crankshaft. I didn’t expect it tobe perfect but to my surprise it was 0.028. I didn’t believe it at first so Isetup the dial indicator differently and tried it again and got the samereading. The motor only has 29,000 miles and before this cam change it wasbasically a stock motor except for a stage 1.

The funny thing is its not vibrating excessively and notsumping oil. I inspected the oil pump and brass bushing and they are notshowing any wear. It looks like there is some wear on the end of the crank, butit’s very very minimal.
Being I don’t have the time or money right now to pull thecrank and have it reconditioned I put everything back together and decided torun it like it is for now. I will pay close attention for an increase invibration, a loss of oil pressure and watch for sumping.
Hopefully it makes itthrough this summer and I can tear it down and have it reconditioned nextwinter. I will open it up half way thru summer and inspect everything and recheckthe run out to see if it gets worse. Has anyone else continued to use theirbike with this much run out?

Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra-Rick
This sucks!!! Thispast weekend I was dropping in a set on 255 cams in my 07 ultra. While in thereI went ahead and checked the run out on the crankshaft. I didn’t expect it tobe perfect but to my surprise it was 0.028. I didn’t believe it at first so Isetup the dial indicator differently and tried it again and got the samereading. The motor only has 29,000 miles and before this cam change it wasbasically a stock motor except for a stage 1.

The funny thing is its not vibrating excessively and notsumping oil. I inspected the oil pump and brass bushing and they are notshowing any wear. It looks like there is some wear on the end of the crank, butit’s very very minimal.
Being I don’t have the time or money right now to pull thecrank and have it reconditioned I put everything back together and decided torun it like it is for now. I will pay close attention for an increase invibration, a loss of oil pressure and watch for sumping.
Hopefully it makes itthrough this summer and I can tear it down and have it reconditioned nextwinter. I will open it up half way thru summer and inspect everything and recheckthe run out to see if it gets worse. Has anyone else continued to use theirbike with this much run out?
.028 and no visible wear on cam plate bushing or oil pump gerotors. . .? That seems suspect I'd want to verify with another caliper. My .006 runout at 16k miles had chewed into one of the oil pump gerotors enough to warrant replacing.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:21 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,094 Likes on 1,910 Posts
Old 03-18-2013, 06:22 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,884 Likes on 8,423 Posts

Patroit HD of Fairfax, VA Built my 103 motor using a stroker crank that had. 019 runout. At about 35K on the motor the head gasket blew and I took it to an indy to fix. He discovered the runout problem along with the destroyed oil pump, cam bearings, cam faces and everything else. The Patriot Service rep told me it was probably because I didn't service the bike properly.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:18 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Check your gauge...

Make sure it isn't metric...
0.028mm = 0.0011"

Old 03-19-2013, 03:50 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
Patroit HD of Fairfax, VA Built my 103 motor using a stroker crank that had. 019 runout. At about 35K on the motor the head gasket blew and I took it to an indy to fix. He discovered the runout problem along with the destroyed oil pump, cam bearings, cam faces and everything else. The Patriot Service rep told me it was probably because I didn't service the bike properly.
That's their go-to excuse for everything. The bike could be brand new off the floor and they would say its your fault.

the only reason theyre still in business is because they service all the rich yuppies in fairfax and loudoun and are a meeting place for Rolling Thunder

and like def_mute said, check to make sure the reading was in inches and not milimeters

Old 03-19-2013, 06:25 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

It's my understanding that the MOCO says up to 0.012 is acceptable (which I think is B.S) so 0.028 sounds way out there.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:00 AM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

does anyone in here actually know what .012 looks and feels like?

Is it acceptable, ***** no. Thats a **** poor excuse to not have good QC

Question is, what does that .012 runout do under crank pressure?. It gets checked under normal revolution's not when be loaded with cylinder pressure and explosion, coupled with possibility of detonation, primary chain slack and other driveline load.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:05 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

I would check your gauge.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:05 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Card
does anyone in here actually know what .012 looks and feels like?

Is it acceptable, ***** no. Thats a **** poor excuse to not have good QC

Question is, what does that .012 runout do under crank pressure?. It gets checked under normal revolution's not when be loaded with cylinder pressure and explosion, coupled with possibility of detonation, primary chain slack and other driveline load.
Exactly! I see a lot guys here putting gear drives in and I often wonder if they even checked the run out on the shaft or have any idea what they are setting themselves up for down the road? Max run out for a set of gear drives should be no more than 0.003" (if memory serves) and I'll bet ya a dollar to a doughnut not very many fall into that tolerance.