General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley or Triumph Speedmaster??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley or Triumph Speedmaster??

I have a good harley and I also have a Triumph Thunderbird sport!! I'm thinking of selling/tradeing my TBS and getting either a FXD or a sporty OR tradeing in my Triumph for another Triumph, the one I want is called a Speedmaster, twin, aircooled, 865 CC looks like a retro custom. its a lot cheaper then a FXD, and will do all I want to do as far as rideing, in fact I may ride it more then my current Triumph. Now mind you, I have a very nice 99 FLHT for long trips and traveling on, I just like the idea of another Triumph in the garage.. They were cool bikes back in the 50s and 60s..what does everybody think of that idea?? When rideing my current Triumph to bike night and to the local rides and bike bars nobody has said much to me about it, but sometimes I feel the cold shoulder from some of the newbies Harley riders, you know, the ones that just started rideing in the last few years and don't really know much about Triumphs and their history... I must add one thing, when I still worked I would pass a Harley rider on the way in, if I was rideing my Harley he would wave, if I was on the Triumph he would not...one day I caught him at a McDonalds and I asked him about it, he said "if you are not rideing a Harley, you ain't crap" is that how you all feel??? or are you all more open minded about it and really not care what I ride, as long as I do ride?

Old 08-22-2005, 11:32 AM
Nav
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley or Triumph Speedmaster??

Both a Harley and a Triumph in the garage? I'm jealous! I'd love to have a Bonneville or T100 (one of the new models) sitting next to my Sportster. As far as the wave and attitude thing. That's been beaten to death many times here. Ride what you want not what others want you to ride. However, if you get the Speedmaster, some of us will ride it vicariuosly through you.

Old 08-22-2005, 11:59 AM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bear, most people here are of the "as long as you ride" feelings but we are all Harley enthusiasts as well. Good luck with your choice (hoping you keep the Harley, here) but keep the rubber side down either way.

Old 08-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Mikester48
Advanced

I don't really care what anyone else rides, but I'm really happy with my new Harley and would recommend one to anyone that asks. I my part of the country, southwest Oklahoma, getting parts and service for the Triumph would be a major problem. I think the Sporty would fit your needs. Maybe a test ride on both bikes would help you decide, but that may not be possible.

Old 08-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Markcuda
Banned

Get the Rocket III

Old 08-22-2005, 02:54 PM
chunks
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I asked him about it, he said "if you are not rideing a Harley, you ain't crap"
The guy that said that is what I like to call an "Asshat" and isnt worth your time
nor are his words worth any serious consideration

Old 08-22-2005, 04:50 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Howdy, personally I like all kinds of motorcycles. I grew up looking at Harleys and Triumphs, just to name a few. It wouldn't bother me a bit to have both in my garage. I'm not the kind of person that worrys about what somebody else thinks. If I was the only one on the block with a Triumph, it wouldn't bother me a bit. I would like to be able to ride both and compare the two. I think that you are lucky, I would like both, plus a few others.

Old 08-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Markcuda
Banned

I want the Rocket III darn it How could any one not

Old 08-22-2005, 06:28 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

Back in the day ('69) I rode a Triumph Bonneville 650. It was a screamer! (It also vibrated a lot, but what didn't back then) It belonged to a friend who had lost his driver's license. His loss my gain.

You have to decide. Since you already have a tourer, maybe a duel sport would be fun.

Old 08-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the comeback on my problem, I am going to go ride a new Triumph Wednesday I think..I was pretty sure I would get just the responce that you all gave me. I would have to think that 95 % of the riders out there are A-OK in my book. I ran into a old friend of mine today and he is on a 2005 FXDI, with 14,000 miles on it, he let me take it for a ride. Yep, now I like that to..Damn I wish I was rich instead of so good looking Alas and alack, what am I going to do now. I'll keep you posted as to what I decide, I can tell you this much I will have Travler [99flht] forever, he is just to nice to let go.

Quick Reply: Harley or Triumph Speedmaster??