Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

Street Rod small review

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 10:12 AM
TheGit12
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Street Rod small review

If this helps anyone here's my thoughts on the new Street rod 750 and a comparison to the street 750.

I test rode the street rod this morning and took it for a punishing run down back lanes, main road and large A road.

First of all looking over the bike I was impressed with what you get for the extra money on the rod over the street, better forks, better rear shocks and if you like sports bikes the handle bars and riding position will please you.

On the open road the bike is more nimble and has notable power over the street, I wasn't hitting the rev limiter like I was on the vanilla street 750, the bike also handled the top end speed with much more ease, the street 750 had a comfort zone of 60 mph, the street rod handled speed above that with much more ease.

The down sides where the position of the foot pegs felt a bit weird and your right foot is to close for comfort around the exhaust, however I did not burn myself, secondly at high speed the rest of the bike felt like the engine was more than the rest of the bike could handle and got a little skittish, and the most important part if you are tall you wont find the foot pegs in a good position I am quite short but could tell long journeys were going to give me bad leg and hip ache.

Also of note, the neutral light on both the street rod and street seemed to not work after a run out????, and I nearly burnt the inside of my legs on the head of the bike on the left side, the engine was absolutely roasting my legs and I had to get off and push the bike backwards.

The brakes and everything else seemed to work nicely.

Hope this helps someone.

The following users liked this post:
Ramas (07-03-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 05:33 PM
ktp1598
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

While I just bought a street 750, I have noticed a lot of taller people have issues with the rider triangle, mostly the too high pegs on the Street Rod. If I was in the market I wouldn't let that stop me from getting a SR. I'm sure the aftermarket will come through soon. Even the Moco will likely change the peg location soon. As far as I know this is their 1st real try at this type of bike.

Ramas (07-03-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 01:19 AM
TheGit12
Tourer

Originally Posted by ktp1598
While I just bought a street 750, I have noticed a lot of taller people have issues with the rider triangle, mostly the too high pegs on the Street Rod. If I was in the market I wouldn't let that stop me from getting a SR. I'm sure the aftermarket will come through soon. Even the Moco will likely change the peg location soon. As far as I know this is their 1st real try at this type of bike.
The problem is this, I ride and have owned a lot of bikes, Harley's and every other brand between, so from experience and of my 25 years in the saddle I have a good idea on what a good bike is and what designs are not good. I might sit down and write a more in depth review, I think the street is an exciting move for Harley and in the right direction, as long as they also keep doing what they have done for over 100 years.

When I test rode this bike, oddly I found my self comparing it to my Honda X-11, it might seem a bit unfair or even odd, but that is how the street rod felt to me, it did not sound like a Harley, look like a typical Harley or even feel like a Harley and when I say that I mean it in terms of what I have ridden and owned from Harley present and past, it felt Modern.

The problem I had with the position of the foot pegs was this, they are literally ( on the exhaust side ) sitting on the exhaust, the first problem I had was that it never felt easy to find the foot peg or rear brake, its just didn't feel right, secondly if your tall your going to struggle on this bike in a massive way, I am 5'4" and my legs were aching and my hips started to hurt from the moment I sped off on the bike, if your bigger than that, your going to hurt.

One thing I have to say about the street rod is simply this is the bike the Harley haters have been waiting for and eventually when Harley make a bigger cc version I reckon they are going to have a hit on their hands.

Ramas (07-03-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 09:38 AM
Harleynewb
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was looking to purchase a new Harley,I wasn't really sure about the Street 750. So when I was browsing bikes,I looked at the Street 750 and a Street Rod 750. I sat on a Street 750 first and liked it,except the rear brake pedal. When I noticed a sportier looking bike I checked it out and it was a SR 750. It hadn't been setup yet,but I sat on it and knew right away that it wasn't gonna be comfortable for my 5'9" frame. Other than that I think it's a real competitor for some of the Jap bikes like the Kawi 650R as far as performance and maybe handling. But that's just a guess because I didn't get to ride it. But for sure I know that if I decided to get the SR 750 I would have the same leg and hip cramps while riding my Kawi 650R and that's what I wanted to get away from. So I decided on the Street 750 and yes it has it has some little things that I don't like,but I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Last edited by Harleynewb; 05-07-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:30 AM
thndrchiken
Intermediate

When I was shopping it was for my first bike in 25 years. It was between the Street 750 an a Super Low. The decision makers for me were that the Street is liquid cooled vs air cooled on the Super Low and after test riding both in stock form I felt as though I wasn't giving up very much power wise with the Street. Second was that the money I saved on buying the Street allowed me to go with some customization options and two years of extended warranty. I knew going into it that there would need to be some aftermarket customizing right away, like the seat, exhaust and mirrors. With the K&N intake, Vance & Hines Comp Series muffler and a tune, I am completely satisfied with the Street.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:45 PM
TheGit12
Tourer

I'm sorry but the Street rod absolutely blows the street away, the engine on the Rod is much stronger, the parts and build quality of the rod is much better. I personally couldn't see a situation where I would buy the street over the rod.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:32 AM
Harleynewb
Intermediate

I thought the Street Rod and Street shared the exact same motor,except the Street Rod has different heads and cams. I am in no way knocking the Street Rod because I think it's a cool bike and the only reason I chose the Street over the Street Rod is I wanted a comfortable bike. Some folks may find the Street Rod to be comfortable to ride and some may not,so in my opinion it comes down to preference. From only having my Street 750 for almost a month I think it has plenty of power and speed.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:23 AM
TheGit12
Tourer

Originally Posted by Harleynewb
I thought the Street Rod and Street shared the exact same motor,except the Street Rod has different heads and cams. I am in no way knocking the Street Rod because I think it's a cool bike and the only reason I chose the Street over the Street Rod is I wanted a comfortable bike. Some folks may find the Street Rod to be comfortable to ride and some may not,so in my opinion it comes down to preference. From only having my Street 750 for almost a month I think it has plenty of power and speed.
your right, they share the same engine and yes the street is more comfortable, but the power on the rods tuned engine is more powerful and it notices.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:41 AM
Harleynewb
Intermediate

I guess you can never have too much horsepower. I used to like more horsepower on a motorcycle,but anymore I would rather sacrifice power for comfort. It may be an age thing?

Old 05-08-2017, 11:47 PM
AKC
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I can actually say for once that I'm glad to have a 29" inseam.

Seriously though, those with much above that may find it a little "folded up" and the peg position does take some getting used to.

I just don't understand why the brake pedal is shaped the way it is...

Quick Reply: Street Rod small review