Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PCV/Autotune - tuning tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 07:29 PM
OakMountainRider
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Default PCV/Autotune - tuning tips

Hi! I have a Dyna 2006 with PCV/Autotune and would like to share my experience. I bought the bike two years ago. It had then run only about 1500 miles and was completely stock. From the beginning it was hesitating severly just off idle and could even stall when pulling the throttle from stand still or in street corners.

At this point I mounted an open filter, SE mufflers and a PCV, but it did not help, Then I added an Autotune and made tuning sessions, but the problem was still there. I replaced the entire aircleaner, but no. I replaced spark plugs, wires, checked for intake and exhaust leakage, but could not find any. I tried injection cleaner and checked the fuel pressure...

Eventually I was adviced to replace the injectors with the 25 degree type. The dealer did this and reflashed the ECM. Now the bike ran better, but still not good. The stalling was gone, but the off idle stumbling remained. I made endless autotuning, experimenting with various AFR:s, but it never helped.

Next move was done a few weeks ago. The PCV has an acceleration pump. As the stumbling appeared when moving the throttle, I decided to give this acc pump a real chance. By putting it at 100 %, during 20 rotations/sec and from 0 % throttle, this function finally took away the hesitation. And after recently having added about 5 % extra fuel in ”In Field Adjustment”, the bike now runs well. Yep! Now this EFI bike almost runs as well as my old Mikuni-carbed FXD 2000, and that is really great!

I hope this sharing will help someone with simular problems with his or hers EFI-Harley.

Best wishes to all and drive safely!

Old 08-13-2018, 09:16 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Glad to hear that you got it sorted out. I thought that the point of AutoTune was to eliminate the *need* for you to sort it out manually though.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:35 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts

that my friend is the HYPE with marketing all of the auto tune systems, they wont work in a completely automatic fashion you still need to know some basics about tuning and how the system that you are dealing with works.
m

The following 2 users liked this post by marcodarq:
FLTRI17 (06-24-2022), OakMountainRider (08-23-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 12:45 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Try spraying some WD40, brake cleaner, or carb cleaner with the little tube attached, directly at the intake module mounting flanges at the heads while the bike is idling. If the rpms change up or down you have an intake leak that will cause the problem you are using the accel enrichment (pump) to cover up.
Bob

The following users liked this post:
OakMountainRider (08-16-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 01:05 PM
OakMountainRider
Tourer

Thanks, for the reply. I have tried this with starting gas a couple of times, and I did not notice any change in rpm. If there is a leak, I missed it. Perhaps I should try once more, or ask the dealer to check for leakage..?

Old 09-17-2018, 11:35 AM
OakMountainRider
Tourer

My Dyna 2006 is the international version without the narrow band O2 sensors. When it came from the factory the threaded holes in the exhaust headers were plugged and the sensor cable contacts were covered with rubber plugs..

Dynojet provides emulators (1 ohm resistors) together with Autotune. After replacing the stock rubber plugs with these resistors, the warm engine throttle hesitation disappeared. Bike now runs well, and no rich fuel compensation is needed. Still the AFR:s are a bit uneven between the rear and front cylinder, but the PCV balances it, and as the bike runs pretty well now, I do not consider it a problem.

I do not know why Harley did not put resistors to the O2 cables on the international version. These bikes obviously run a bit poorly without them.

Last edited by OakMountainRider; 09-17-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:12 AM
OakMountainRider
Tourer

The bike was sumping and suffered from a low oil pressure (3 psi). Problem is gone now with new oil pump, cam plate and lifters.