Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel Pak on my new 06 Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 01:43 AM
shooterarrow
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pak on my new 06 Fatboy

So I just bought a new Fatboy and I'm really confused with all the fuel injected jibberish. I purchased a set of Vance and Hines short shots because I love the look and sound of the exhaust. I was told by a guy that has a new street bob and the same exhaust that I should use the vance and hines fuel pak. He said that he has had zero issues with the fuel pak. The HD dealer doesn't seem too interested on installing the fuel pak. They want me to buy the power commander which is like double the cost. Does anyone know anything about the Fuel Pak. I don't think I'll ever do anything else to my engine so I don't see the benefit of purchasing a power commander. Also if using the Fuel Pak, do you need to dyno the bike???? I'm just really confused and could use any input on this matter. Thanks!

Old 08-18-2006, 11:14 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,963 Likes on 1,714 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Pak on my new 06 Fatboy

See my signature, I run the entire V&H setup to include Fuelpak. It is a very simple install. There are two other modes you should do, those being 20 and 21 that are not covered in the installation instructions. If you go this route when you are installing it PM me and I'll be happy to explain the other two modes. I have not had any problems with the Fuelpak other than every now and then it causes a fault code to be logged which is no problem as I just clear the code. I understand this happens with modem type piggy back tuners and not just the Fuelpak. You can only get a baseline dyno done on the bike to see where your numbers are at, but they can't tweak it to tune it like they can with the PCIII. If you do not plan on making any more mods then you can go with the Fuelpak otherwise I would go with PCIII. I would just install it myself and save the money, it is really simple and takes about ten minutes if that. If you are not a wrench, then let the dealer install the pipes and you do the tuner. You should also go with a high perf air cleaner. I believe the Fuelpak actually mentions that it is required but I'm not sure.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:31 PM
danocanada
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I'm interested in the tweak for mode 20 & 21, can you clue me in? Thanks

Old 09-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Fross923
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put the fuel pak and the pythons staggered on my 07 heriatge and it brought mybike to life. the fuel pack was abreezeto install (unlike the pipes) I too would like to know about mode 20 & 21.Thanks

Old 09-12-2007, 01:01 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something?

Mode 20 (once selected) shows you your firmware (software) release version. Revision 12 is the "preferred" and most current. If you have revision 12, you get to add another mode value when you get to mode 23. Older revisions of the FuelPak stop letting you enter valuesonce reachingmode 18.

Mode 21 (once you get there) shows a digital representation of your throttle position, ranging from 00-99. 00 is no throttle, 99 is when the throttle gets turned all the way up. You invoke initial calebration of your throttle motionby toggling your way tomode 19.

I don't think there are any magic tweaks for modes 20 & 21.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Hinzy
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a link to latest instructions
http://www.fuelpakfi.com/harley1.html

Old 11-02-2008, 12:36 AM
ilikethewoods
Tourer

I put the fuel pak on my 06 fatboy and it was a piece of cake to install and program. The short shots where a bit more work than expected but with some patients it was still worth doing myself. They do require a high flow air filter . The only problem I had was getting my seat to fit with the fuel pak under there. Anyone have any tips as to how to make some room under the seat or how to get the stock seat to fit right with the fuel pak installed ?? Thanks!!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:34 PM
bluesman409
Stage III
Default No room under the seat

I'm having the same problem as ilikethewoods.
Fitting the Fuel Pack unit under the seat.
Does anyone have a pic of their install?
Thanks.