Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

AFR data logger

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 05:21 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
Default AFR data logger

Anyone here have experience with afr data loggers? I'm looking at this one atm... http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/Zt-3/Zt-3.shtml

Old 04-13-2013, 04:59 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a innovate motorsports data logger LM2 works well. You do have to set up the data output so that it compares with what tuner you are using, I was using the PCV.
I'd say the hardest part was figuring out what the voltages were for the Harley throttle positionings once I had that done it wasn't too bad.

If I had to do it all over again I think I would just buy the auto tune. I sold my LM2 and probably will do just that. I did have a air/fuel ratio gage in my dash and I liked being able to watch what was going on. I may just purchase another gauge and hook it up to the PCV auto tune and watch both cylinders at the same time.

Last edited by GaugeMods; 04-13-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:19 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

I went ahead and ordered the Zeitronix. Don't need a gauge as I will download/view after making runs on the laptop. Using the SE Super Tuner Pro on this Sportster as I already had it in hand.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:08 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Am I missing something, not understanding it, or just misinformed, but doesn't the SEPT allow you to record data up to 15 min and make changes to the map? Why would you buy a data recorder you already have 1 with the SEPT

Last edited by GaugeMods; 04-15-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:19 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by GaugeMods
Am I missing something, not understanding it, or just misinformed, but doesn't the SEPT allow you to record data up to 15 min and make changes to the map? Why would you buy a data recorder you already have 1 with the SEPT
The SE is a pain in the a$$ to get to record...altering maps with it is great. I can use the Zeitronix on any future bike...this is not possible with the SE Super Tuner as it is married to one specific ecm. I can also add a gauge for real time readings if I ever feel the need.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:23 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

How is "The SE is a pain in the a$$ to get to record"? Not trying to start an argument, but I've never had problems and it can record around an hour. I know the docs say 15 minutes but my experience is closer to an hour. I spoke to a guy at the company that makes em and he said that HD never updated the info.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:20 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

I might add that any afr tuning attempted with the stock narrow band o2 sensors will be next to useless...need a wide band to show what is really going on in all ranges.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:53 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rickss69
I might add that any afr tuning attempted with the stock narrow band o2 sensors will be next to useless...need a wide band to show what is really going on in all ranges.
That statement is NOT true. One wishes to use the NBos when tuning closed loop portions of a fuel map. Closed loop does NOT matter what the 'true' AFR is, what matters what AFR the bike 'thinks' it is. Doesn't work that well, to 'force' an AFR down the throat of an ECM for closed loop. Use whats hooked to the ECM to determine these settings. From experience, I see that the NBos are within 5% of a WBo in the lower RPM ranges. When I tune... I run TTS to its best ability, THEN use the twin scan to ITS best ability. Takes time to do this, but can dial in different areas using differing OL and CL portions of the map. I don't know about the newest software upgrade for SEPST, but the new blue TTS gathers data really fast.

If the bike will be completely tuned open loop, then something like Innovate stuff. Or for tuning... Twin Scan + Kit from DTT is whats happening. Tuning off of a 'gauge' sucks. It's ALL guess work to build a decent map. When looking at the record from a simple gauge, how do you know what MAP, TPS and RPM the bike is at the exact same moment. Software driven systems are what reads ALL of the parameters at any given time. On a dyno, where one can hold a particular 'cell' of a tune, a gauge could be used with a pen and paper, but on the street... never match up the cells with the AFRs properly, IMHO.

I like the Twin Scan for open loop tuning. I also like the Direct Link system for this, also. One can flash a bike with Direct Link for a $2-300 'key'.

If someone is 'serious' in tuning open loop portions of a map, one should bite the bullet and purchase a DTT Twin Scan + kit for like $600ish. Works on ANY bike. THIS is THE tool to use with SEPST or TTS, etc to gather that 80+kpa ranges. Fill the info into the SEPST map, and good to go.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 04-20-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:21 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
That statement is NOT true. One wishes to use the NBos when tuning closed loop portions of a fuel map. Closed loop does NOT matter what the 'true' AFR is, what matters what AFR the bike 'thinks' it is. Doesn't work that well, to 'force' an AFR down the throat of an ECM for closed loop. Use whats hooked to the ECM to determine these settings. From experience, I see that the NBos are within 5% of a WBo in the lower RPM ranges. When I tune... I run TTS to its best ability, THEN use the twin scan to ITS best ability. Takes time to do this, but can dial in different areas using differing OL and CL portions of the map. I don't know about the newest software upgrade for SEPST, but the new blue TTS gathers data really fast.

I'll have to disagree partly with you here. A NB sensor is limited to a very narrow range and I don't need/want it to tell me what afr it "thinks" is best for my motor...14.7 aint the number.

If the bike will be completely tuned open loop, then something like Innovate stuff. Or for tuning... Twin Scan + Kit from DTT is whats happening. Tuning off of a 'gauge' sucks. It's ALL guess work to build a decent map. When looking at the record from a simple gauge, how do you know what MAP, TPS and RPM the bike is at the exact same moment. Software driven systems are what reads ALL of the parameters at any given time. On a dyno, where one can hold a particular 'cell' of a tune, a gauge could be used with a pen and paper, but on the street... never match up the cells with the AFRs properly, IMHO.

I like the Twin Scan for open loop tuning. I also like the Direct Link system for this, also. One can flash a bike with Direct Link for a $2-300 'key'.

If someone is 'serious' in tuning open loop portions of a map, one should bite the bullet and purchase a DTT Twin Scan + kit for like $600ish. Works on ANY bike. THIS is THE tool to use with SEPST or TTS, etc to gather that 80+kpa ranges. Fill the info into the SEPST map, and good to go.
I used the Twin Scan logger on the turbo bike and it works well. The Zeitronix afr logger I will be using this go around has no "gauge"...I will be road testing/logging and downloading to pc to review. I will be using the SE Super Tuner Pro to adjust all parameters to my liking and will not be using o2 sensors at all when finished...at least that is the current plan.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:40 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

That sounds good to me. The DTT stuff IS money better spent. I know you won't be using the actual gauge, but you WILL be using the logger. I have off board WBos hooked up to Direct Link. And... it IS the direct link that puts all the info in line. Having crap exactly where that crap needs to be is the trick. I either use an Innovate LM-2 or... two Innovate LC1s to run when I run Direct Link. I do NOT use the data from any of these, for the most part, but simply set the output curves to match what the Diect Link reads at. I just purchased two Powerdex AFR gauges. These use NTK sensors instead of Bosch. They come with a gauge and logger like you have. But... me? I will integrate these into Direct Link so that all of the info is on ONE data sheet.

You ARE mistaken about when to use the NBos, tho. But we are good. Since you are going completely open loop, it doesn't matter anyways.

I will be interested to hear how this all goes for you. HAHA!!! Been there and done that. To keep track, while street tuning, use throttle blips to mark areas of where you are trying to tune. You would see these blips on both the logger and on the SPEST.

Can you use a dyno at all? That could help you with AFR transitions, etc, for a smoother running bike. You very well may not be a dumb as me... but I can't seem to get off board AFR data to match 100% with the exact cell at the exact time for reliable data acquisition. A dyno could help that, because you could hold cells while gathering the AFR data.

It IS expensive, but you should keep the DTT Twin SCan Plus Kit in mind. This hooks into the ECM and gathers data all in line with the parameters that match the SEPST cell structure. Even better is using MyTune to use in conjunction with the Twin Scan. MAkes the data MATCH the cell structure instead of having to interpolate between the TS data and the SEPST. The plus kit comes with a data tool AND two wide bands with controllers... all in one package. And... the plus kit is a tuning AIDE and NOT a tuner. It can be used on any number of bikes. Still need a flash tuner to use this kit.

Tunemyharley.com is where the MyTune software can be viewed or purchased.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 04-20-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Quick Reply: AFR data logger