Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT - Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Poke
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT - Thanks

I am triple newbie. New to forum, new to cycling, and new to posting.

I have a 2006 Ultra and have some issues with coughing and sometimes killing at take off. I have been viewing the information here and feel I am ready to purchase SE AC, VH oval slipons, SERT. Because of all the information available here I feel confident I am making a educated choice. THANKS to all. I have shared information found on this forum with the service manager where I purchased and he does not agree with what I am telling him soI plan on doing the install by myself with my sons help. I am counting on all you to help me through the install and programing process. I know I can count on your support. Without ever asking a question I have been able to find answers to most of my concerns.

This is a great place to look for help.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:09 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SERT - Thanks

Look into the Arlen Ness Big Sucker for your AC. It is cheaper than the SE AC and IMHO a better designed product.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:19 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not choose the SE ac either,,,,, another choice would be the K+N

Old 02-20-2007, 10:42 PM
Poke
3rd Gear

why not the SE AC? from what I read most seem happy with them

Old 02-20-2007, 11:35 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Poke

why not the SE AC? from what I read most seem happy with them
You'll get a million different responses as to what filter to use. The SE AC is a good filter, lots of peeps use them, however, from a QUALITY standpoint there are better.

Some say the SE backplate is flimsy and the filter element is subpar. I personally do not know, but that should be the ONLY reason any would steer you differently. CFM's are acceptable on the SE AC for a stage I build.

Some of the othercontendors are K&N 0800, K&N 3909, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, Doherty PowerPacc just to name a few.

But the SERT is the way to go for tuning capabilities...........end of story.

Now my question to you is, what, in your conversation with your dealer, was he not in agreement with when you discussed ideasfrom this forum?[sm=ummmmokay.gif]..............and welcome to the forums!

Old 02-20-2007, 11:58 PM
Poke
3rd Gear

Peeps? Dealer says down load will do everything I need and he has not had any complaints with them. Also told me if I bought SERT dealer has to do first down load on their computers. He is also trying to convince me that changing the exhaust is harder then I am being led to believe.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:18 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Peeps? Dealer says down load will do everything I need and he has not had any complaints with them. Also told me if I bought SERT dealer has to do first down load on their computers. He is also trying to convince me that changing the exhaust is harder then I am being led to believe.
Peeps = people

The actualworkinvolved in what you are doing for a Stage I is a piece of cake. My daughter could of done it...........especially since you are going with slip-ons and not changing the full exhaust system.......even then it's not that difficult.

You'll have to decide it the download is acceptable or not, but I will lead you to THIS.....CLICK ME WITH YOUR MOUSE about the download. Sounds like your dealer isn't being FULLY honest with you.

EDIT: about the ease of a stage I build, the PHYSICAL work of putting the breather and pipes on is not difficult, but the flashing of the ECM with the SERT could be a little intimidating to someone that is not "tech savvy".......however, with enough studying and asking questions, hopefully one does gain the confidence to conquer such a feat.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:10 AM
Poke
3rd Gear

Thanks again for the info. I plan to go ahead with slipons, SERT and a/c but may rethink which one. I will be doing the work including the SERT flash. I will keep you all inform how it goes.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:40 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am triple newbie. New to forum, new to cycling, and new to posting.

I have a 2006 Ultra and have some issues with coughing and sometimes killing at take off. I have been viewing the information here and feel I am ready to purchase SE AC, VH oval slipons, SERT. Because of all the information available here I feel confident I am making a educated choice. THANKS to all. I have shared information found on this forum with the service manager where I purchased and he does not agree with what I am telling him soI plan on doing the install by myself with my sons help. I am counting on all you to help me through the install and programing process. I know I can count on your support. Without ever asking a question I have been able to find answers to most of my concerns.

This is a great place to look for help.

BEFORE you do anything, make sure you have the 25 degree injectors installed in stock trim. THIS WILL INSURE the bike is ok before you start modifying it.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:54 AM
FUN2XSs
Cruiser

Poke
Welcome to the Forum. I would agree about the SE air intake. I did the K&N 3909 and as noted above there are others that are better than the SE. Basic problem I noted about he SE was that the filter element was a "resueable" paper filter element with a limited reusable life. The K&N filter is cloth, and is way better for cleaning and life span than SE. Since both kits are priced about the same. (I paid $ 119.00+tax at Autozone for K&N), this is the route I choose and why.

As for the install of both the air intake and slip on mufflers, no problem. I did purchase new muffler clamps from HD as I was informed they were better clamps than the ones that come included with the muffler. They were like $ 8 each. Since I live 45 miles from dealer, I didn't want to take my old ones off only to find out they were damaged in removal and need to run 45 miles to finish up install, so I purchased up front, and I did use them as I felt they were definately better constructed clamps and more heavy duty than what V&H provided. I too choose V&H mufflers, however, I also installed the V&H true dual headers and did not have any problems with install. My uncertainty came with the SERT purchase and download, however, others here on line offered me encouragement and after getting a USB to serial cable I needed from a Best Buy store, the set up and down load went smoothly and was quite easy. The only glitch I had was that I forgot to turn the stop / run switch to run, initially, after figguring that out everything else was ice cream. You CAN DO IT. just don't get in a hurry. I would recommend a service manual if you do not have one. kinda costly I hear that Zanotti HD (not sure of spelling) is about the cheapest on-line place to purchase. I ordered mine form local shop, took about a week to get here and cost me $ 58.00 + tax. I consider this a good investement, and found it money well spent. It includes a section on the exhaust system removal and re-installation that may well be helpfull to you, and the K&N came with good instructions. Also, don't get into a hurry, depending on age of bike, get some good penetrating oil (like WD40) and once you loosen the muffler clamps, give the joints a good dousing.... wait 10-15 minutes give her another and have a cold soda. Give it a little time to work and you'll find the HD guy was making more out of the deal than necessary. Like UltraK indicated. YOU CAN DO IT.

Quick Reply: SERT - Thanks