Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Mastertune

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 03:37 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mastertune

Hi

Can anyone tell me the difference between tts mastertune and the tts mastertune 2.

Is the mastertune 2 a newer version and if so is it better.

Thanks

Old 07-19-2013, 06:31 AM
jkelley
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't Mastertune 2 the Can Bus configuration?

Old 07-19-2013, 10:59 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If you do not already own Mastertune, when you purchase the TTS suite nowadays you will receive Matertune2, anyways.

The differences are, as of yet, not significant enough to switch to the newer version..... yet. Later this year? It may very well be worth the money.

But, the new version is WAY more than simply CanBus. Matertune2 will do both CanBus and J1850 bikes. (J1850 is any Delphi equipped bike).

The new TTS has a totally different VCI, the VCI is what is either blue (new) or black (old). A VCI is the 'box' that is attached to the bike during tuning.

Blue has HUGE new memory boards and chips inside. Coming this year will be some new, and exciting features for TTS. Even now, when tuning, the blue is much faster at gathering data than the black was. This is very helpful to DIYers, since gathering data on the street is a hit or miss proposition with ANY tuner. The blue VCI is easier to gather data with, due to its increased speeds.

Coming very soon will be two things, one being directly for the DIYers. It is being called the "Flight Recorder". The flight recorder will allow a DIYer to gather up to 10 hours of riding data without the need for a laptop on the bike.

One will program the VCI to 'record flight data' and then all you will need to do is hook the VCI in the side cover and go ride. Won't matter if you stop and start either, you will just have multiple recordings you can download to the PC and work with. This is similar to what we can do with the SEPST already... there will no longer be any need to carry a laptop while riding the bike.

The other really cool thing coming to the blue VCI is V-Tune 3. While out doing data runs, TTS will also, now a first for ANY tuner, collect timing data right along with VE, and fuel data. Once back home with your data runs... Mastertune will not only figure out the proper VE tables, but will also figure out areas where pinging can likely occur. And... here is the slick part, instead of simply pulling timing from the main tables, V Tune 3 will be able to figure out what spark needs to be removed from the main tables, and also... what spark needs to be removed using the temp correction tables.

The key to temp correction tables is this: when it is cooler outside, one can run more timing and gain MPG and a smoother running bike, when it is hot outside, more timing makes a bike ping, so TTS will pull THAT kind of timing from the temp tables, a table that uses the HEAT of the engine to pull timing automatically.

VTune3 will do this automatically and will allow an engine to have the proper timing either cold, or hot! Now, us tuners already do these things, but this will be a huge leap for DIYers. (tuners, too... so ya know).

Under NO circumstances should any of us members go to the internet and save a measly $100 and purchase the old TTS Mastertune. One should ONLY purchase Mastertune 2. The present and future capabilities of Mastertune 2 is well worth that small difference, even if you will have the bike dyno tuned. Dyno tuning with TTS2 is a way better experience for us tuners, too!

Buy the NEW TTS Mastertune 2.... it IS the only way to go for both DIYers and Dyno Tuners.

Anyone with the old Mastertune? These black VCIs can NOT be upgraded (different circuitry inside), nor will there ever be any sort of 'upgrade' program.

So... be smart and buy the tool that would HELP you, OP! I am a huge fan of TTS. There are, for sure, other tuners out there, but IMHO, no other tuner has the adjustabilty, and soon, the ability to do as much, as the TTS Mastertune2. Do NOT, these days, buy Mastertune, buy Mastertune 2.

I personally have Mastertune (old one) for my 120r. SO far, it has worked fine for me. Even though I OWN a dyno, once these new features come online, I believe I will MYSELF spend the money and get the "2" for my own bike.

Just two days ago, I talked to Steve Cole (owner of TTS) about all of this new stuff.

To those that already have TTS? Notice there was an update the other day? What that update was, in reality, was to clean up the present code and make it run cleaner and faster. In all of our hands, we will see if any bug fixes needs to be done. This 'speed up' was done to have a nice, fast, stable as possible platform, so that when TTS releases VTune3 and Flight Recorder, the base code will be stable.

I can't wait!!!!!

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 07-20-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:06 AM
jkelley
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wurk, Can't wait.

Wiz has helped me out many times over the years and is a great guy.
Glad you stepped in here as a pro with the great answer to the OP.
I too love the TTS and would use no other tuner.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:10 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member

How much is TTS Mastertune2 in Merry Ole England, anyways? Curious.....

jkelley? Yup, I agree with you that Mr Wizard is simply one helluva a guy!!! Along with hrdtail78 and Lonewolf, Mr WIzard is one of my 'go to' guys for help!!!

Last edited by wurk_truk; 07-19-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:46 PM
WildBill2566
Road Master

I just had a mastertune delivered today, I ordered mastertune 2 but it dosent say that on the box and the picture is of a black box. I don't want to open the box to check as I won't be able to return it.

The retailer has assured me he has contacted TTS and the one I have is the latest version.

If I open the box and the unit inside is black does that mean its not suitable for the upgrades coming.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:47 PM
WildBill2566
Road Master

Originally Posted by wurk_truk

jkelley? Yup, I agree with you that Mr Wizard is simply one helluva a guy!!! Along with hrdtail78 and Lonewolf, Mr WIzard is one of my 'go to' guys for help!!!
I just paid £332 including all cables

Last edited by WildBill2566; 07-20-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:02 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master

Originally Posted by wurk_truk

Send an email to Gavin at Evolution Custom Cycles. gavin@evolutioncustomcycles.com

He will advise which kit you need for your bike. I got mine from him and he provides excellent customer service. I think they are based in Scotland. http://www.evolutioncustomcycles.com/contact.html

Cost me £332 including all cables etc delivered to my door.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:25 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for saying how much the unit costs. Sometimes I have members from your neck of the woods ask these questions.