Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

72 ironhead questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:34 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

I am not familiar with that carb so someone else will have to chime in ...

Old 05-13-2010, 06:36 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wizardry68
i did that. same issue i just wonder if the float spring is suppose to go over the tab along with the fuel valve
Without mine being opened up and me staring at it I cannot find the words to explain.
The short end of the spring goes to the float tang. The long end of the spring does not go inside the float chamber, but rather on the face of the carb/gasket/float bowl.
What I am trying to say is the long end is sandwiched between the float bowl and the carb. See the pic..........

Position the short end on the tang. The idea is when the float level rises as fuel flows into the bowl, this spring is compressed.
pg

Old 05-13-2010, 07:01 PM
wizardry68
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

short end go on before the fuel valve or after? on the same place correct?

Old 05-13-2010, 07:39 PM
wizardry68
Cruiser

also if im loosing fuel, could it also be from me pumping the throttle and kicking so many times it floods out the carb?

Old 05-13-2010, 08:24 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by wizardry68
also if im loosing fuel, could it also be from me pumping the throttle and kicking so many times it floods out the carb?
I believe you drop in the fuel valve and then follow with the spring. But to tell the truth it has been a long time since I last did the carb, so I cannot say for sure.

Fuel running out the overflow is one of two things:
Either the float is stuck and does not 'float up' to close off the needle or you have 'pumped' the accelerator pump too much. The accelerator pump is just that.... a pump.

Here are two things you can try......
For the fuel flowing out of the bowl: Tap the side of the carb float bowl with a wrench to jar the float. Many times this will free it up and the float rises to shut off the fuel coming in.
NOTE: If you have the float level set too high, this will not do a thing. The fix for that is going back in and adjusting the float level by bending the float tab.

The other thing to do if you have flooded the bike is quit pumping the throttle. This just makes it worse. (You can remove the plugs and kick it through to dry it out, but that is going to consume some time)

Open the throttle wide open and hold it there. Kick or crank it over 5 or 6 times. Again.... do not pump the throttle! It should clear out.

If the bikes starts to pop like it wants to start, do not pump the throttle anymore. Just come down with a good kick and at the same time roll the throttle gently on about a quarter turn..... no more. See if that does not help start it.
pg

Old 05-14-2010, 09:29 AM
wizardry68
Cruiser

well i did what you said to try. open throttle all the way and kick a few times. wanted to so i closed throttle to 1/4 of the way and went to kick it, bound up. so took plugs out to see down in and still bound. 1st thing i thought was the clutch roller assembly. that has done that before and ive broken the arms on it. moved the engine sprocket back and forth and got it to move, but then the bike started to move 1/2 way into turning it. tried to shift it but wouldnt. so i took the forward controll apart and tried to shift it with a wrench. shifted 1 time and thats it. lever wont move so im thinking that its in the tranny. something may have slipped but unsure till i take the cover off. coukld this be a good possibility?

Old 05-14-2010, 10:31 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Man, you are having enough bad luck to cover us both!
OK. if it jammed it could be two things:
1) The trans jumped into gear. This is what it sounds like happened.
2) Another possibility is the kickstart jammed. This can happen.
But if you think it is the trans you have no choice but to remove the door and have a look.

One thing I will mention before I forget is that shifting gears while the bike is sitting and engine not running is not always easy to do. Reason is there are no moving parts in the engine or trans, so take it easy with any force you may be using.

Before you pull the trans, do this:
Sit on the bike and rock it back and forward while trying to find neutral with the shift lever.....not a wrench.
If you cannot get it to shift by rocking it then you will have to pull the transmission.
If it does go into neutral, go back to the getting it started procedure.
pg

Old 05-14-2010, 11:07 AM
wizardry68
Cruiser

wouldnt move. so i did take tranny apart. still nothing going to other side to see if kick is bound

Old 05-14-2010, 12:47 PM
wizardry68
Cruiser

if i had the gears out, wouldnt i be able to push the bottom of the pushrods up and down freely? with plugs out of coarse. and if i couldnt do that doesnt that tell me that something is in the head or a broken valve?

Old 05-14-2010, 01:03 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

OK, so you have the trans and the clutch removed. Can you rotate the kiskstart lever down freely?

As far as what is jammed inside the trans look at the cam plate and the 2 plungers that index off it.
I'm talking about items 5,9,& 12.
Also, if someone has jammed down hard on the shifter lever the shift forks can be bent (item 10)
See the attached pic.....

pg

Quick Reply: 72 ironhead questions